1998 Ford F150 "Training Wheels" Build

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Hello, I am a new member to the forum and this is the progress thread for my 98 F150. Over the past 6 months, I have become more interested in car camping and offroading. I have found that my daily driver F150 is a quite capable rig, but lacks in a few areas. I don't have any plans for serious offroad modifications and am trying to be as frugal as possible as I work on my truck. I have a few ideas on modifications but am eager to hear the thought and opinion of ExPo forum members.

Truck: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L V8 4x4 Supercab Lariat Flareside

F150_Yakima.jpg

updated; 8/24/15
IMG_1791.jpg

Done:
* New Tires (285/75 Duratracs)
* Bunch of maintenance

To Do:
* Restore and install Yakima Megawarrior on cap - Done
* Buy a spare tire - Done
* Install off road lighting - Done
* Buy air mattress for bed - Done
* More maintenance (shocks, plugs, interior) - in progress
* Buy and install CB radio - Done
* Buy and install Aux Battery (Sears Diehard) (under bed) - Reevaluating
* Buy and install Air compressor (under bed) - Reevaluating
* Design and Build front(winch) and rear(tire carrier) bumpers - No longer pursuing
* Buy an awning to attach to megawarrior

Notes:
* Truck is in great condition sitting at 140,000 miles.
* Picked up the Megawarrior off of CL for $100. Mounting it this way.
* Hellroaring Battery Isolator
* My switches

Cheers :beer:

Last edited:

Mad_Texan

Adventurer
Welcome to Expo! The F150 is capable of getting you to many places with room and power...Lights can be installed behind the grill if you want a clean look...Bilsteins will help your ride...You most likely can get the winch to be pretty stealthy also...

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 13.jpg
    photo 13.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 63
  • PoePaddy.JPG
    PoePaddy.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 66

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Alright! Here it is! Welcome to the forum. This can become addictive so be prepared.

Noticed you had a few electrical gadgets to install. If you haven't read about it, look into a BlueSea Fuse Box.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Welcome to Expo! The F150 is capable of getting you to many places with room and power...Lights can be installed behind the grill if you want a clean look...Bilsteins will help your ride...You most likely can get the winch to be pretty stealthy also...

I have 2 6 inch led bars that are going behind the grill soon. How did you mount your winch?

Alright! Here it is! Welcome to the forum. This can become addictive so be prepared.

Noticed you had a few electrical gadgets to install. If you haven't read about it, look into a BlueSea Fuse Box.

Yeah, I have already purchased a Blue sea fusebox and a hella relay box along with some lights. Just need a day to install them! I also have to do some dremelling in the cab to get my switches to fit.

I am super pumped to do some work on my truck. I am trying to only add things as I need them so that I don't go overboard. It is too easy to get caught up in what looks cool. I am making sure every purchase/modification is intentional.

mrwall1

Nice! I sold my little XJ Cherokee... needed something a little bigger! Bought this 2008 FX4! Let the Mods begin! first to save up for are some All terrain tires and Black wheels, Truck has 20s but I am going to do 18s.!

4BE490BC-2E2A-4206-A1D7-6A5014F75726.jpg

escadventure

Adventurer
Yeah, another F150.
I would second SDDiver's recommendation for the Blue Sea fuse box. There are other cheaper ones, but the Blue Sea is worth it for the simplicity and robust design. I would also recommend you consider the spare battery to be an AGM battery. My camper battery is a Optima Yellowtop. They make different versions of it, but either way, you can't go wrong. It's just way better, and with the right battery, if you accidentally deep cycle the spare battery, it ususally recovers easily. Could potentially save your bacon in the field.

attachment.php

Mad_Texan

Adventurer

That is the one. Trim the ends so you end up with a flat mounting plate that fits between the frame rails. Remove your tow hooks from the truck. Drill holes in the winch plate using the tow hooks as a pattern. Install the winch mount sandwiched between the tow hooks and the frame.
Your bumper is different and I'm not sure what you would have to cut/trim for the fairlead to come through but it can be done...
There is a warn mount available...I didn't like how low it sat or the fact that the fairlead isn't centered...but I think it was made for the earlier bumpers like your and they didn't change the design for the newer bumpers...

Attachments

• Winch Mount.jpg
    Winch Mount.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 1998 F150 mount.jpg
    1998 F150 mount.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
That is the one. Trim the ends so you end up with a flat mounting plate that fits between the frame rails. Remove your tow hooks from the truck. Drill holes in the winch plate using the tow hooks as a pattern. Install the winch mount sandwiched between the tow hooks and the frame.
Your bumper is different and I'm not sure what you would have to cut/trim for the fairlead to come through but it can be done...
There is a warn mount available...I didn't like how low it sat or the fact that the fairlead isn't centered...but I think it was made for the earlier bumpers like your and they didn't change the design for the newer bumpers...

Wow thanks! I really appreciate the explanation. I think I am going to try this route instead of building a winch bumper.
I am aware of the Warn mounts but could never bring myself to pay $300 for a mounting bracket.

----------------
update1:
Started cutting up the interior for my switches. Looking at it straight on, you can see the icon on the top the rocker. But when sitting in the drivers' seat, you only see the bottom of the rocker.
I think I also want to swap the 2 and put the radio on the top.
F150Switches.jpg

update2:
Started removing, sanding, and painting my factory skid plates. They only offer minimal protection, but it is better than nothing!

Last edited:

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Wiring help

Spent the entirety of the past 2 days working on my truck. ( on mobile, pics are sideways?)

View attachment 284873

I dropped my skids. Sanded and painted them. Installed lights behind the grille. Painted the grille. Installed a center console from an expedition.

View attachment 284874
image.jpg

-----------------
Next is to finish wiring my grille lights. Can someone explain how I am supposed to wire these with the fuse, relay, and switch? I'm unsure of what to do next.
Here is what I have.
Relay : http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-007794021-Amps-SPDT-Relay/dp/B005I48IKW
Fuse : http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Blade-Block/dp/B000K2MBPA
Switch : http://www.otrattw.com/J66a.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior