1998 Astro AWD Provan XL with only 60k miles

Sanddancer

Just thought I'd bring this to anyone's attention who may be interested...cool van

20210513_142157.jpg
20210513_142037.jpg
20210513_133725.jpg
20210513_143459.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Probably not, its LHD

GM never made a RHD Astro/Safari, yet they are incredibly popular in Japan. We've seen more than one of these drivers-side entry/flipped floorplan Tigers here on ExPo, and AFAIK, every one has been for/from the Japanese market.

plh

Explorer
GM never made a RHD Astro/Safari, yet they are incredibly popular in Japan. We've seen more than one of these drivers-side entry/flipped floorplan Tigers here on ExPo, and AFAIK, every one has been for/from the Japanese market.

For sale is a 19989 GMC Safari Astro van AWD that was professionally converted, from new, by Provan out of Colorado USA. from the ebay ad, and a NA: VIN 1GCDL19W4WB153032

It is pretty cool non the less.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Not sure what you're saying?

All Astro/Safaris were built in the same factory in Baltimore. All were LHD, all got VINs in that series. Passenger and Cargo vans were exported to Japan, (and elsewhere) most were sold in North America. You'll note this particular van has a km/H speedo, so it was clearly ordered for a market other than USDM. (This is a checkbox on the form if you're an upfitter buying incomplete vehicles.)

Provan was based in Colorado at the beginning of the company (after Dave Rowe sold Four Wheel Campers and started Provan) and would order chassis from GM, upfit them, and deliver to customers, including for export. Based on the mirrored layout (Left/Driver's side-entry), this camper was obviously intended for a RHD market. (I can't imagine why one would build a street-side door on purpose - you'd have to open the door into traffic to enter the rear of the camper.)

Of course, you'd never know for sure unless you had enough provenance/documentation to know where this unit was originally sold, but I'm saying we DO know for sure that other LHD, but drivers-side-entry, Astro/Safari based Tiger XLs and GTs were sold to the Japanese market. More than one of these has come back to the USA and been seen here on ExPo.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would agree it looks like a foreign market van as the camper exit / entry door is on the drivers (left) side. Never see that here on North American RV's.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Japanese culture is so heavily regulated I'm surprised they'd allow a LHD vehicle there. On base there only rhd vehicles were permitted to leave.

Reactions: plh

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The Japanese culture is so heavily regulated I'm surprised they'd allow a LHD vehicle there. On base there only rhd vehicles were permitted to leave.
The dealership I worked at in 2007/2008 imported several cars from Japan. All early / mid 90's cars. Two 911's, Two 850i's, Two SL500, two 535i's and a 2nd gen Lightning (go figure) All were LHD. I was told LHD in Japan is a status symbol? Never been there so I can't confirm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles