1998.5 Dodge Ram CTD - Sally

frojoe

Adventurer
The truck still does worky things elsewhere too, like prepping land on a friend's property to have a wrenching garage made.

AHUVIkf.jpg

7nVYvKK.jpg

XdEnYoN.jpg

nwbRXCl.jpg

Z1CP051.jpg

qjfpBwY.jpg

NB0GxJE.jpg

rfytmCu.jpg

EEXFWUF.jpg

mAnTG8U.jpg

It seems to always find stuff to drive up on though... I do like seeing the 37's get pretty stuff in there...

frojoe

Adventurer
Last camping trip I went on (last weekend of September) before work got hellishly busy with 6/7-day work weeks.

tuzAJ7D.jpg

Bp5XrJ9.jpg

dgnyjx7.jpg

3hDCIM5.jpg

9GhqgiK.jpg

q5c8JNB.jpg

As a winter project, I want to completely clean/gut/redo the canopy, and screw+bond some low-profile E-tracking to the canopy ceiling, for hanging things and stuff.

I knew I was going to want to throw the canopy on during occassional winter camping, so I preemptively raised the rear suspension 3/4", by lowering the rear leaf eye to the bottom adjustment hole on the Thuren 3rd gen shackles. When I put the canopy on after that, the 3/4" lift reduced to something like 1/2" or 5/8" lift, so it really didn't squat much with the extra weight of the canopy, compared to an open bed. Still retained the toolbox with the canopy.

That said, we found a gravel pit to do some proper flexing on, and I managed to get the rear 37's super stuffed..... more than I have ever managed before, and this was with the rear being ~1/2" higher than when I had the open bed! LOVE this truck flexed out.

AxYHUwY.jpg

qgbdPHR.jpg

nZcRELP.jpg

dVFKcil.jpg

rvVYR0n.jpg

There was a GNARLY deep-V rocky cross ditch.. I'm talking like 15ft deep, 50+% grade on either side.. that I somehow managed to crawl+momentrum bang the old girl thru. There's GoPro footage of it that I'll hopefully get from a friend soon... like full rock-crawler status that I can't believe Sally made it thru... that said she did develop a few scratches and dents on the way... but well worth it to conquer something I thought only a Jeep buggy on 42's would be able to cross... haha.... oh wel......

2Ah4iCV.jpg

Last edited:

frojoe

Adventurer
I've had the previous Viair air compressor out for a while, to put the stock intake filter and box back in, and have been procrastinating finding a new place for the ARB twin compressor to go under the hood. Then when cleaning up the other night, I thought: "why isn't my ARB just a standalone unit in the meantime"... the pressure switch is built in, afterall.

After a 5min search of the local sells-everything store "Canadian Tire", a 19"x15"x7" waterproof hard case was on sale for $49 from $149... so that solidified the idea of making a "temporary" setup to utilize the ARB twin that's literally just been collecting dust on a storage shelf since June.

AXidLE9.jpg

QYQhfYb.jpg

wqlMaLr.jpg

Conveniently the same store was also selling 8ga jumper cables on sale for $12.99, so those became the donor for the ARB connection to power (10ft snipped in half to a 5ft lead)....

1oS0Nd1.jpg

WBkD5VH.jpg

PckjkWA.jpg

ceuwY2q.jpg

Here's my "quick-temporary" wiring job for the next few months.......................................which will realistically roll into the next year and a half haha....

M35I1dL.jpg

SvbyoZL.jpg

kzSIcgP.jpg

IDTbvrw.jpg

Zrtc1pr.jpg

Tb8EUOS.jpg

EHNJfRK.jpg

DW9tHFm.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
Being the nerdy engineer I am, I was really curious what the difference in fill time would be for the ARB twin compared to the previous Viair single 444C compressor, so I set up a bench test to compare various fill times.

I topped up the battery for 24hrs with my CTEK trickle charger, and then used an old dumb analog battery charger-starter set to the 15A setting, to give the battery some charging flow while running the 25-60A load on it for the duration of the testing.

To make the test as fair as possible, I rigged up the old Viair compressor to have the same jump starter battery clamps as the portable ARB setup, so that there would be the same connectivity/resistance at the battery end. For deflating the tire, I also waited a few minutes after pulling the core to let the pressure/temperature equalize and confirm that the test starting point was in fact 16psi (measured by same gauge throughout the test).

83XLIqj.jpg

QUw1jwr.jpg

gZp2mdz.jpg

dCX5brR.jpg

dv1r5j5.jpg

And here are my results.. roughly half the fill time compared to the Viair (which I was honestly content with for the longest time)...

nGqfbuP.png

tip

Adventurer
Not sure how I missed this build before but damn! I really enjoyed reading it, the level of build quality and attention to detail is insane. I wish I had your skills.

I'm surprised to see that big of a difference between the two compressors, so I guess with the price tag difference it looks like you really get what you pay for. I keep saying I'll replace my $75 mv50 someday but its still kickin. Takes forever but I've gotten used to it.

frojoe

Adventurer
Thanks! And sounds good. As long as a compressor doesn't duty cycle out and overheat mid-fill on a single tire, it's all good. But I wanted to fill as quick as I could manage!

frojoe

Adventurer
I have quite a few wiring changes upcoming for the truck.. a number of lights and things have been slowly not working... low beams, fuses, fog light switch, rocker switch backlight for exhaust brake, front LED bar relay, etc. I've ordered a Switch Pros 8-button panel to install in the dash, with a 3D printed bezel to blend it into the stock plastic 2nd gen bezel to make it look less modern/tuner. But more on that later.

I've been wanting more than my 5W handful radio for quite some time, so it was time to install a hard mounted unit. I've been thinking about this for a few years, and had a foldable antenna mount in my mind for a while, that I wanted to try out.

The antenna is 37" long, which is a handful of inches longer than the factory radio antenna... which is my visual measuring cue when I'm driving under something that will be a "tight fit" to the cab roof. If my factory radio antenna hits, then I have about 1.5" height clearance to the top of the roof. So having a VHF antenna sticking up 5" higher than that was a no-go. Also, I'm often fiddling under the hood, and I'd rather not have an additional antenna mounted around the hood to physically get in the way.

I'll let the pics more or less speak for themselves, but it's all RAM mount 1" B-size hardware....

OoLReti.jpg

riUck8r.jpg

sP4k9Sl.jpg

OQogyj6.jpg

78ggD5l.jpg

HZOwgN7.jpg

WDUHIcL.jpg

ziien2O.jpg

X8WPbmd.jpg

9GqefyS.jpg

gwUGdwj.jpg

tc86T7K.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
The bracket offsets the antenna base up a bit, to give more hand room for accessing the RAM mount plastic clamp handle. Obviously this means the antenna base isn't grounded to the headache or truck, so I attached a separate ground wire to the bracket, which I'll run to the framerail. Unfortunately I didn't have any stainless at home, otherwise I would have made this plate out of 0.080"-0.100" stainless and have not painted it... I may remake it in the future to make it look cleaner.. we'll see.

0W8CImb.jpg

yR03Udn.jpg

dgOd5L5.jpg

9iUfXsQ.jpg

kTAyLbU.jpg

EEjJCTY.jpg

0RfWC7z.jpg

zk1YZOU.jpg

dtfS66X.jpg

QcFfGax.jpg

BTGl7Rb.jpg

ATfqayE.jpg

JvfXeN2.jpg

SNbqTeB.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
I wanted to try a stealthy VHF radio install, to keep it out of the way and keep the dash clean. With the Icom having buttons on the mic, it was totally fine to not have direct access from the driver's seat.

I put it under the center seat, where the [useless] rear cupholder assembly is. I did retain the air bag (?) accelerometer, and moved it back a bit, just to avoid potential weird issues if I just deleted it.

1NN7nGd.jpg

gP4HowC.jpg

dLlkFjU.jpg

usnWqAk.jpg

HuY9BB2.jpg

z0Wpkao.jpg

d7MTAjQ.jpg

k2rBNJT.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
I passed the antenna coaxial cable thru the cab floor, at the back, behind a cab mount which shields the hole form direct spray off the front tire.

kB2ekkB.jpg

KXmxKAW.jpg

And I made a mic clip button thingy to make it engage nicely with the Ram mount mic holder I already had.

Yvv5qiU.jpg

Already has a blanked hole molded in, not sure for what, but it was an easy drilling guide...

Wmedco3.jpg

Ui619wz.jpg

zpFZ3bZ.jpg

HylscQb.jpg

Itz5XIb.jpg

7j8Ylw1.jpg

6efNBdO.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
Another reason I wanted to try the radio under the center seat, was to have a direct shot for the mic cord to the front of the unit, so that it's easy to unplug the mic and remove when not offroading..

ZArYavD.jpg

NHD9JVg.jpg

Plenty out of the way when shifted into 5th gear...

SQ4JY2w.jpg

Another thing I wanted to do was upgrade the fog lights to some brighter LED bulbs, while maintaining the OEM housing to keep things stealthy and OEM looking..

thuIxfZ.jpg

I used these as a bit of a gamble. Impossible to find any LED's under ~6000K temperature.

ppEqjan.jpg

At least the LED's are concentrated in the right spot on the "bulb" instead of just being all over the place...

NqyeEPG.jpg

Look pretty low-key when installed...

iTr1Zzg.jpg

Overall I'm very surprised & happy with them, for a direct fit into an OEM housing, they pump out a good amount of light. They have a good side spread, and even have a decent cutoff too. Not bad at all for Amazon Chinese LED bulbs installed into eBay reproduction fog light housings.

These below pics are just the fog lights, and no other lights on...

Py2m0p9.jpg

ETyqzvu.jpg

mrpmEW6.jpg

30fD5ui.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
Another lighting improvement I did, was taking the plunge and trying a HID retrofit kit. The reason being, is you see more and more people driving around with 6500K+ Amazon/eBay LED bulbs that swap directly in, with no hi/lo beam differentiation, and the white-blue color on an older vehicle just looks terrible. Less often, but still out there, is terribly-designed/installed HID retrofits or projector units put in 20+ year old vehicles.. the cosmetic is terrible, but the light output also isn't ideal.

It was for these reasons that I was super hesitant to stray from the factory-style Sport halogen bulb setup. However, I had burned out 3 hot-running 9007 bulbs, and with the bigger batteries installed, it is a massive pain to contort my hand behind the headlights down to the bulbs, to pull them out to replace. I wanted something a bit more robust. It wasn't until I found the Morimoto site that I became okay with trying HID's. The main reasons being:

1) Can choose light color/temperature in a bunch of increments. I chose the lowest 4300K just to keep it kinda-OEM appearing.

2) Can choose 35W or 55W ballasts, again I chose the lower wattage to keep from blinding everyone, since even 35W HID in a warm 4300K would still pump out more lumens than my PIAA 4000K halogen 9004-9007 bulb combo.

3) Maintains high/low beam functionality, which is nice. I still use my high beams all the time on night time highway, so I didn't want to lose the high beams on my primary bulbs (I'm keeping the dimmer 9004 bulbs as halogen, for reasons explained below).

Here's the kit:

The reason I wanted to keep the dimmer inboard 9004 bulbs as halogen, is that the bulb filaments are directly exposed to someone beside the vehicle.. I didn't want to also place a much brighter bulb here as well, since the dim 9004 bulb is already decently blinding from the direct side of the truck. But, since the outboard 9007 bulbs are moderately recessed in a deep reflector, and thus the bulb element isn't in direct line-of-sight from 45deg to the vehicle, it seemed justified to replace those with a brighter Xenon bulb.

1Vv5sAK.jpg

96XVDFk.jpg

2mqEFVq.jpg

Good white-yellow OEM-appearing light color...

mbPbiSQ.jpg

eIWOyId.jpg

I mounted the ballasts to the core support on either side of the radiator, using M5 rivnuts and hardware...

JSAykb2.jpg

sUy80E6.jpg

FTsUhJe.jpg

HwgnLGe.jpg

Ni51Hev.jpg

2jkPByb.jpg

With the brightness dialed way down on my phone camera, you can see that the outboard 4300K Xenon bulb is in fact whiter than the inboard PIAA 4000K "Extreme White" 9004 bulb...

DVrnR14.jpg

But in regular viewing, daytime and nighttime, they're damn close enough to "warm, OEM" looking light output...

MCmYHQo.jpg

ZfC8dM4.jpg

Left is regular low beams, right is high beams, and they made a WORLD of difference. And the cutoff is also semi-decent. I already had my headlight housings aimed down, just to not blind other drivers when the bed is loaded down with stuff, and everything seems to be kosher...

5BUyFrM.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
And a change on the compressor side of things. Even after a handful of uses of the homemade ARB Twin briefcase compressor, I was starting to get annoyed by having to lug it around and always clamp it to the battery for power. Mounting it in the briefcase was always temporary (since I wanted to re-connect my exhaust brake eventually), but it turned more into "permanently temporary" than I liked.

My friend saw my briefcase, and got inspired to make one of his own, so also ordered an ARB Twin. When he mentioned to me that he planned to copy, I said: "great! I'll swap my lightly-used pre-made briefcase for your new bare compressor".. then that settled everything.

I wanted it under the hood, even despite the dust etc, just because there's no room under the seats in the cab, and I didn't want it toolbox or frame mounted. There's literally only one place it would fit, by a matter of a finger-gap all around it, but if it fits, it sits...

I trimmed this lip off the passenger side plastic battery tray, so that a support plate can extend, to be part of the compressor mount bracket...

WGdrB8T.jpg

R8Ddr6O.jpg

The front side of the bracket mounts underneath the plastic battery tray, and I just drilled & fastened it in place with M6 hardware once the bracket was final-installed on the truck...

4OFIR6f.jpg

oAjfCb4.jpg

aofu31l.jpg

QjM2t8z.jpg

t9O5Cxs.jpg

kkge0FD.jpg

The ARB is slammed to the battery tray with juuuuuuust enough room to still fit the battery tie-down hardware. Perfect...

9HIdG0N.jpg

cQgO6s1.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
I cleaned up and re-used the air manifold that I machined for my previous Viair 400C compressor setup, since I still wanted an easily-accessible quick connect, as well as needed a location to draw air for the small air tank and the exhaust brake solenoid...

nudsRb7.jpg

OGPNris.jpg

For this truck, I like things being steel and strong/robust/durable. So I went to a local hydraulic lines place and had a 15" long 2500psi single-layer 3/8" hose, 2x -6 JIC ends, and 2x 1/4"-NPT adapters for $26... plus it's sweet that it just looks industrial...

hiDM71W.jpg

3ABn98t.jpg

dqUtXaJ.jpg

NHlkpvD.jpg

8KkhGD7.jpg

jmXbueQ.jpg

z035eeP.jpg

frojoe

Adventurer
I wanted to install a small air tank, just to have an accumulator/buffer for the small draw that the exhaust brake solenoid has, so that the ARB doesn't end up constantly cycling on every time.

I found a spot on the passenger side of the core support, below the radiator. The 0.5gal steel tank came with the PacBrake exhaust brake kit, so was nice to use something I already had, and it just fit perfectly in this nook.

CxLTx8c.jpg

Taking inspiration from the OEM world, to avoid having to stick a wrench in a mostly-enclosed radiator core support, I welded two bolts to a plate, to turn them into studs, for single-tool tightening...

xprJfke.jpg

vvkD3vm.jpg

AI7RnBC.jpg

wIC4XBG.jpg

From some angles the bottom of the tank might appear to be exposed, but it really is tucked up there. It's multiple inches above my steering brace, and for a pokey rock to get past the radiator core support but above the steering brace... will that'd just be a freak accident...

2SD0c46.jpg

VHCt9C5.jpg

lUCBnMy.jpg

MhipcZB.jpg

IPlviVX.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior