1997 XJ Purchase Questions

Ok, so I am going to check out a 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ tonight. I know what it should have in terms of drive train based on some research, but it is not a guarantee. This will be an off road toy and if it sees any road time it will be limited (very) and probably gravel.

Here's what the seller has told me(or doesn't know):

4" lift - brand unknown
4.0l engine (original ?)
auto tranny (was originally a manual and was swapped at some point)
Front axle was swapped with a junk yard one by current owner.
Rear axle - ?
Transfer case -?

Here is what I am hoping for:
NP231 Transfer case
Aw4 tranny
C8.25 Rear axle
High Pinion front dana30

I am pretty sure if it has the Dana35, I will pass on it all together(although I have been reading about the Ford 8.8 swap for these). But here is my biggest concern. If this was a factory manual tranny with the 4.0l, then from my research I think it should have 3.07 gears. If the current owner took a front axle from an auto(with the 4.0l), it should have 3.55 gears. He said he drove it after the new axle was put in, but he bought it for an off road vehicle, so I wonder if he drove it on the road or off. If it was off road (able to spin tires a bit) would he likely notice the gearing difference from front to rear? On road, he would have to notice, right?

He is only looking to get $800 out of it, so I am not expecting perfection, but I also don't want to create a ton of work for myself. I am looking for something I can throw some decent tires on, maybe lock(weld) the rear, and go play a little bit. Down the road, I might be willing to upgrade some things.

So what is the likelihood that it is a aw4 trans that was swapped in, and how can I tell visually from under the vehicle if it is the aw4? If not an aw4, what other auto could it be?

Is there an easy visual confirmation of the transfer case(np231 vs np242) if the tag is missing? I know the in cab shifter is an indication, but not a guarantee. They could have swapped a trans/tranfer cae combo all at once, right?

What is the likelihood the gears are mismatched?

Any other concerns I should have? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Ok, so I am going to check out a 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ tonight. I know what it should have in terms of drive train based on some research, but it is not a guarantee. This will be an off road toy and if it sees any road time it will be limited (very) and probably gravel.

Here's what the seller has told me(or doesn't know):

4" lift - brand unknown
4.0l engine (original ?)
auto tranny (was originally a manual and was swapped at some point)
Front axle was swapped with a junk yard one by current owner.
Rear axle - ?
Transfer case -?

Here is what I am hoping for:
NP231 Transfer case
Aw4 tranny
C8.25 Rear axle

I am pretty sure if it has the Dana35, I will pass on it all together(although I have been reading about the Ford 8.8 swap for these). But here is my biggest concern. If this was a factory manual tranny with the 4.0l, then from my research I think it should have 3.07 gears. If the current owner took a front axle from an auto(with the 4.0l), it should have 3.55 gears. He said he drove it after the new axle was put in, but he bought it for an off road vehicle, so I wonder if he drove it on the road or off. If it was off road (able to spin tires a bit) would he likely notice the gearing difference from front to rear? On road, he would have to notice, right?

He is only looking to get $800 out of it, so I am not expecting perfection, but I also don't want to create a ton of work for myself. I am looking for something I can throw some decent tires on, maybe lock(weld) the rear, and go play a little bit. Down the road, I might be willing to upgrade some things.

So what is the likelihood that it is a aw4 trans that was swapped in, and how can I tell visually from under the vehicle if it is the aw4? If not an aw4, what other auto could it be?

Is there an easy visual confirmation of the transfer case(np231 vs np242) if the tag is missing? I know the in cab shifter is an indication, but not a guarantee. They could have swapped a trans/tranfer cae combo all at once, right?

What is the likelihood the gears are mismatched?

Any other concerns I should have? Thank you in advance.

Lets see.
A stock 1997 with have a Dana 35 in the rear from the factory.
The auto should be a aw4, I don't personally know of any other auto swaps.
The axles should be somewhat easy to identify by looking at the diff cover shape.
It being a manual first, it would have 3.07 as a stock ratio BUT it could've had a tow package installed from the factory with a different gear ratio. I know a tow package auto gets 3.73. not sure what the ratio gets bumped to for a manual.
As far as NP231 and NP242 without tags, or a shift pattern indicator, I think the housing look different but you could just get pictures off of google to compare. Also you can go by feel.
If its been on road at all and hasn't torn itself part it should have matching gears.

$800 my sound nice but for a little more money you can probably get one that has more information and a cleaner history vehicle. XJ's are everywhere, take your time to find exactly what you want.
Differential-ID-Chart.jpg

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
I don't know about Ohio, I understand you can have some serious rust issues, But it's difficult to find a 97/98 XJ ( consider by some their best years) for under $3,000 - $4,000 here in California. With that said finding one for $800.00 or less gives you lots of room for $$$ to spend on improvements. I've run a np231 and a np242 in my XJ and they were both excellent transfer cases to wheel overland with. A high pinion 30 is an excellent front axle and you could re-gear to you liking for a few hundred dollars. If you want to do a bunch of extreme rock crawling than you might just as well change the front to a Dana 44.

Keep in mind when you start doing some of these modification the name Jeep can mean, Just Empty Every Pocket.

Have fun,

Fred
Explorer 1

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Couldn't the rear also be an 8.25?

the good 8.25 really didn't pop up until 2000 and 2001. At least that's what I've been seeing, I want to say the 27spline 8.25 was introduced in the early 90s but they weren't as common at the dana 35

Last edited:

cdn_xj

Observer
MY1996 and later were equipped with the 29-spline 8.25.
This holds for NON-ABS equipped XJs.
If the XJ is ABS equipped, then it would have had the Dana35.

Prior to 1996MY if it had an 8.25, it would have been the 27-spline.

IIRC 1997MY Should have the high pinion D30.

No luck. Even for $800 it wasn't what I was hoping for. Dana35 rear really wasn't what I wanted. Gears were supposedly matching 3.55s, and it did have the high pinion 30 in front. Front fenders were cut out very poorly and the rear hatch was smashed up. Probably worth $800, but I was looking for a real steal...it wasn't one so I passed.

jonb8

Adventurer
Gotta watch the standard shift swaps to automatics, it'll be missing a transmission computer. Sounds like a smart Idea to leave that one be. I always buy xj's that haven't been messed with at all not even a lift... Better to upgrade and know what you got even if it takes longer.

Gotta watch the standard shift swaps to automatics, it'll be missing a transmission computer. Sounds like a smart Idea to leave that one be. I always buy xj's that haven't been messed with at all not even a lift... Better to upgrade and know what you got even if it takes longer.

They said the auto was out of a 1995, and I know there were some differences with the electronics that I think started in the '97

87Warrior

GP'er
They said the auto was out of a 1995, and I know there were some differences with the electronics that I think started in the '97
While this is true, it is very easy to tie the AW4 harness/TCU to a 5 speed vehicle. '96 was the transition year to a hybrid OBDii system and in '97 it was true OBDii. This isn't really important because the the AW4 has its own TCU and was relatively unchanged 87-01. I recognize you passed on the XJ, but wanted to clarify.

jonb8

Adventurer
Easy? no harness to the TCU with the standards, I've wired AW4's into a few wranglers and yes it's doable but far from easy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz