1997 Cummins Towho/Expo

MT6bt

Rock hound
Its difficult to filter on the road, I filter and de-water at home and bring extra fuel in the plastic cubies that the oil comes in when new. I think I left with 31 cubies which are about 4.5 gallons each plus my veggie tank was full which is about 30 gallons. So I left with about 170 gallons of veggie, a full tank of #1 diesel and maybe 10 gallons of extra diesel. My friend who came with me filled my diesel tank from his slip tank which his work fills for him. You can see a couple cubies I was recycling yesterday in the bed in the earlier pictures.

Hey, I've been reading through your build up. Sweet truck! I have a 12 valve that I am currently working on as well. I noticed you put a full tank of #1 in in the winter time? How does your 12v run on #1? Mine has always ran like crap on it. It starts horribly in the winter time, and I've actually heard #1 is not good for old school diesels. Personally I look for a gas station that sells #2 winter and use anti-gel and also a lubricity additive like stanodyne. It seems a lot happier with this setup and it's good to about -25 thru-30F. And fuel economy is significantly better.
Where do you find WVO at? I imagine it'd be a little easier up in Columbia falls, but down here in Bozeman, there is definitely a popular demand for it.

blakeape

Adventurer
Hey, I've been reading through your build up. Sweet truck! I have a 12 valve that I am currently working on as well. I noticed you put a full tank of #1 in in the winter time? How does your 12v run on #1? Mine has always ran like crap on it. It starts horribly in the winter time, and I've actually heard #1 is not good for old school diesels. Personally I look for a gas station that sells #2 winter and use anti-gel and also a lubricity additive like stanodyne. It seems a lot happier with this setup and it's good to about -25 thru-30F. And fuel economy is significantly better.
Where do you find WVO at? I imagine it'd be a little easier up in Columbia falls, but down here in Bozeman, there is definitely a popular demand for it.

I got the #1 from a friend who is doing the North Dakota thing and his work fills it for him. I had no issues with it. I did dump some 2 stroke oil in which I do whenever I fill the diesel tank.
I have a couple restaurants up hear that are happy to give me their WVO. I am not driving the truck a lot right now just because it is cold, the crap they put on the roads and I have a Toyota to do my ripping around in so I actually have quite a stock pile of veg and am going to have to move some things around to store some more. The veggie thing is great but it is a lot of work and once you convert the way I did good luck getting most mechanics to even look under your hood. They just don't want to deal with it.

Anthony24x

Observer
I was thinking about the need to purge the fuel lines of veggie oil. Couldn't you ire in a turbo timer that also triggered the purge cycle? That way you never need to even think about it

blakeape

Adventurer
IMG_0018_zpsp7p9e4dt.jpg

Augured this pig today and had to rig up a 3:1 with the winch to yank her out. Totally stalled my 12k Warn. Really glad I had 2 pulleys, a bunch of shackle and a chain. Prepare my friends!

MT6bt

Rock hound
IMG_0018_zpsp7p9e4dt.jpg

Augured this pig today and had to rig up a 3:1 with the winch to yank her out. Totally stalled my 12k Warn. Really glad I had 2 pulleys, a bunch of shackle and a chain. Prepare my friends!
Impressive! I would hate to get that stuck, all I have is a shovel and a 3 ton come along.
Also, when I was road tripping in socal a few weeks ago, I put 2 gallons of fresh veggie oil straight into the tank...much to my surprise, I'm pretty sure it actually gave me a 5% power increase. The turbo spooled up a little quicker as well.
Where'd you get that bumper from? I am looming to get rid of my poorly manufactured bumper

Ah, crossovers: car like off-road capabilities, minivan looks, and truck fuel economy...

BDC1

I am pulling this thread back up in hopes of getting more information about the original build. I have read through all the secondary evolutions and I am starting my own project on my 96 two wheel drive very soon. The original build thread on pirate seems to be inoperable. I would love to read through that. Thanks Chris

I have lurked through this site for several years and thoroughly enjoyed it. This one finally made me create an account.

blakeape

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. The ole Dodge is still around. I actually just sold the flatbed and am going to build another one a little different without boxes. Still love this old beast. I have been dead on the forums but will start posting again when I start the flatbed. I don't even remember how to post a picture

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Damn Blake, I wish I would’ve known you were going to sell that flat bed. I would have bought it. Curious to see the new one though.

Joe, we should have a CF meet up soon. Not sure if any of the irregular folks are still game, aside from Smokin Joe...

frojoe

Adventurer
Sure! My rig is significantly more beat up and dirty than the last time any of the CF guys saw it.. haha.

blakeape

Adventurer
Damn Blake, I wish I would’ve known you were going to sell that flat bed. I would have bought it. Curious to see the new one though.

Joe, we should have a CF meet up soon. Not sure if any of the irregular folks are still game, aside from Smokin Joe...

I sold it to a friend who jack knifed his 04 Cummins with a trailer and mangled his bed. I built the old one really heavy, like almost all .188 wall tubing, planning on making it dump. Later i realized I'd have to lose my turnover gooseneck. I have a dump trailer so don't really need it to dump. It's a great flatbed, i hope this new one is lighter and fits my needs a little better. The boxes were great with the camper, but I found myself hauling a bunch of junk around all the time I didn't need. I'm building an E350 with a Ujoint 4wd kit next so different goals for this truck now. Finally getting a couple hrs in tonight.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles