1997 Cummins Towho/Expo

blakeape

Adventurer
The truck looks great Blakeape! How was the hammers race? Post some pics if you get a chance...:)

I really need to invest in a new camera, I broke my Olympus and only have an Iphone. The buggy is what my friend built and raced. It has a Chevy 6.0, Unimog Portals and is sick, he wasn't quite done and doesn't have nearly the budget a lot of the guys have, fought tire issues and didn't quite qualify for the big race. We all had a blast and ended up running sweep for the EMC/UTV class which was pretty cool. IMG_0954_zpsdb7ff7b4.jpgIMG_0965_zpsf1e2f961.jpgIMG_0977_zps708b2a8b.jpgIMG_0938_zpsab5ffa8e.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
Blackape, your trucks awsome. If you get a minute could you go a little bit more indepth on you veggie oil system? I'm curious, are the diesel/veggie lines switched mechanically or electrically?

OK. A very brief explanation: The truck has 2 tanks, 1 for diesel (factory) one for veggie (aluminum where spare tire was). The veggie tank is heated by coolant that flows back to the veggie tank, goes through a loop and warms the veggie, there are 2 separate fuel filters the veggie one is heated, there are 3 valves that are electrically controlled that choose which tank to pull from, which fuel filter to feed, and the third controls the flush cycle. There is also a flatplate heat exchanger, a # of temp sensors, and the "brain" which controls it all and shows temps, fuel level, etc.
So basically I start the truck on diesel, drive until my coolant temp is 158 degrees, switch to veggie, drive as long as I want, before I get to my destination and shut the truck off, I switch back to diesel and purge the veggie out of the system before I shut off. I also have a filtration system built at home which filters and de-waters the fuel down to 5 microns. It all sounds good on paper and I can attest that it works, but it is not fool proof, its messy, time consuming, filters clog, fuel line blow and leak and like I said before filtering on the road is very difficult.
My wife thinks its all cool and wants me to do a system on a TDI VW Passat for her. We have talked about it and I am not sure I want to deal with it, the VW's are a little more sensitive than a 12 valve, I could see her forgetting to purge and the whole car gelling up, I work 48 hr shifts at a fire dept and if she breaks down from a clog or a blown line I can't leave and go help her. I think she's going to run her 97 Subaru for a bit longer and I want to convert a Toyota pickup with some (yet to be determined) diesel that she can drive also, but not totally rely on.
If you're thinking about it, do a lot of reading, make sure you can find veggie sources and seriously consider which vehicle you want to use, most of the newer diesels don't respond as well as the older ones.

qmikep

OK. A very brief explanation: The truck has 2 tanks, 1 for diesel (factory) one for veggie (aluminum where spare tire was). The veggie tank is heated by coolant that flows back to the veggie tank, goes through a loop and warms the veggie, there are 2 separate fuel filters the veggie one is heated, there are 3 valves that are electrically controlled that choose which tank to pull from, which fuel filter to feed, and the third controls the flush cycle. There is also a flatplate heat exchanger, a # of temp sensors, and the "brain" which controls it all and shows temps, fuel level, etc.
So basically I start the truck on diesel, drive until my coolant temp is 158 degrees, switch to veggie, drive as long as I want, before I get to my destination and shut the truck off, I switch back to diesel and purge the veggie out of the system before I shut off. I also have a filtration system built at home which filters and de-waters the fuel down to 5 microns. It all sounds good on paper and I can attest that it works, but it is not fool proof, its messy, time consuming, filters clog, fuel line blow and leak and like I said before filtering on the road is very difficult.
My wife thinks its all cool and wants me to do a system on a TDI VW Passat for her. We have talked about it and I am not sure I want to deal with it, the VW's are a little more sensitive than a 12 valve, I could see her forgetting to purge and the whole car gelling up, I work 48 hr shifts at a fire dept and if she breaks down from a clog or a blown line I can't leave and go help her. I think she's going to run her 97 Subaru for a bit longer and I want to convert a Toyota pickup with some (yet to be determined) diesel that she can drive also, but not totally rely on.
If you're thinking about it, do a lot of reading, make sure you can find veggie sources and seriously consider which vehicle you want to use, most of the newer diesels don't respond as well as the older ones.

Thanks for the explanation. Right now I have a 1st gen cummins but my understanding is the ve isn't as tolerant of veggie oil as the p pump. I'm definatly thinking about it for my next truck. If I do it will be a p pumped 12valve.

blakeape

Adventurer
VE's are actually pretty good as far as I know, definitely better than all these newer computer controlled diesels.

blakeape

Adventurer
The Ole' Cummins dragged home a new toy today. Should be a fun way to keep a few miles off all the 4 tired rigs in the quiver. Brand new, left over 2012 Kawasaki KLR 650. People claim 35-50mpg and they are a blast to ride, paid $5700 with 1 mile on it and a 12 month warranty! IMG_1031_zps1ff9068b.jpgIMG_1030_zps90d2eec0.jpgIMG_1029_zpscb03af07.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Awesome :bike_rider: Those KLR's are one of the best dual sport bikes of all time. Stay away from advrider... Once you get sucked in its all over LOL.

blakeape

Adventurer
Awesome :bike_rider: Those KLR's are one of the best dual sport bikes of all time. Stay away from advrider... Once you get sucked in its all over LOL.

Oh I know and there is also KLR650.net. One must be very careful what one reads and what one's debit card thinks one needs!

blakeape

Adventurer
Stuck the camper in for the 1st time with the boxes. I'll need to address a few issues such as the front doors hitting the camper legs, but its all very manageable. On Monday we went to some hot springs for a soak, camped on the Clark Fork, then drove to Missoula MT to do some paddle board surfing! Sorry no action shots.
IMG_1060_zps7b84a05e.jpgIMG_1065_zps8450ca0e.jpgIMG_1062_zpsb390704f.jpg

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Blakeape, make sure you do the doohickey mod on your KLR asap. That is really the only weak spot on the bike and once taken care of its pretty much just ride it and change the oil. Im sure you will enjoy the bike amongst your other toys.

blakeape

Adventurer
Blakeape, make sure you do the doohickey mod on your KLR asap. That is really the only weak spot on the bike and once taken care of its pretty much just ride it and change the oil. Im sure you will enjoy the bike amongst your other toys.

yeah I'm thinking about the doohicky and thermobob at 500 miles with the first oil change. Already lined up the tool I need from a friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz