1997 Cummins Towho/Expo

blakeape

Adventurer
Nice build on the axle I am impressed with the welded gussets!

I will admit that my friend Chris "Nukeproof Fabrication" did the stick welding for me. I can use a Mig, but the Tig and stick welding is a skill I have not yet mastered. They are on the list of things to learn, behind kite-boarding, but above tele-skiing.
A heads up to fellow Dodge owners. I was giving the Dodge a quick once over before a trip to Missoula MT (3hrs) for a little back country skiing and noticed some excessive steering slop. I have a PSC steering box brace on my truck that really helped firm up the steering. I know my truck needs a new steering box, but while looking at it today I noticed the pitman arm had loosened up. I removed the steering brace and tried to tighten it, but the nut was on tight and the pitman arm still was loose. I removed the brace and the pitman arm and got a grade 8 washer with a 1&1/4 inside diameter (clears the sector shaft) and used that to snug everything up. The lock-washer was actually bottoming out before the pitman arm tightened on the splines. I have an aftermarket pitman arm that came with my old coil lift that I reamed out to accept a chevy 1 ton tie rod end that I used in all my steering, but keep an eye on whatever you are running.
P2100002.jpg
[/IMG]
P2100001.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
NICE Yakin pics mate. What river is that???

I'm loving your Toyota and the Dodge is SO cool too. I never see Fulsizes like that, ME LIKEY :D

Cheers

Dave

Code Monkey

Observer
A heads up to fellow Dodge owners. I was giving the Dodge a quick once over before a trip to Missoula MT (3hrs) for a little back country skiing and noticed some excessive steering slop. I have a PSC steering box brace on my truck that really helped firm up the steering. I know my truck needs a new steering box, but while looking at it today I noticed the pitman arm had loosened up. I removed the steering brace and tried to tighten it, but the nut was on tight and the pitman arm still was loose. I removed the brace and the pitman arm and got a grade 8 washer with a 1&1/4 inside diameter (clears the sector shaft) and used that to snug everything up. The lock-washer was actually bottoming out before the pitman arm tightened on the splines. I have an aftermarket pitman arm that came with my old coil lift that I reamed out to accept a chevy 1 ton tie rod end that I used in all my steering, but keep an eye on whatever you are running.

One of the first things I noticed about my recently purchased CTD ('97 1 ton) was the slop in the steering. I haven't traced it down, but it feels like a loose steering box. I am going to look closer at it.

blakeape

Adventurer
One of the first things I noticed about my recently purchased CTD ('97 1 ton) was the slop in the steering. I haven't traced it down, but it feels like a loose steering box. I am going to look closer at it.

Unfortunately these trucks, in my opinion, do not have very well designed front ends under them. They are notorious for wearing out ball joints, trac bars, unit bearings, steering boxes, tie rods and draglinks. Take a good look at everything and decide how you want to proceed. There are a lot of good aftermarket companies building upgraded replacement components. Some, like Moog, offer lifetime warranties.

HMalice

Unfortunately these trucks, in my opinion, do not have very well designed front ends under them. They are notorious for wearing out ball joints, trac bars, unit bearings, steering boxes, tie rods and draglinks. Take a good look at everything and decide how you want to proceed. There are a lot of good aftermarket companies building upgraded replacement components. Some, like Moog, offer lifetime warranties.

After upgrading numerous parts and still having a sloppy front I have to agree. Now my biggest issue is finding a donor truck to swap over to leafs. :smiley_drive:

What did you do for brakes on yours, use the Ford stuff?

blakeape

Adventurer
NICE Yakin pics mate. What river is that???

I'm loving your Toyota and the Dodge is SO cool too. I never see Fulsizes like that, ME LIKEY :D

Cheers

Dave

Thanks, the last kayaking picture is the South Fork of the Clearwater in Idaho. Are you referring to my Tacoma or my 88 4runner. Its patiently waiting with no engine for the 98 3.4 and the 85 solid axle I have sitting in the shop. Just need time and $.
PB290013.jpg

P9080003.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
What did you do for brakes on yours, use the Ford stuff?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I rebuilt the whole front end and replaced anything that was remotely worn, new pads, seals, bearing, etc. The Dodge brakes lines fit the Ford Calipers.

Bradtoyotas

You talked me into the ford 60 swap

I picked up a 97 cummins that needed a front end saw your thread and me and a buddy went to work On it definitely the best fix to do to the the front end

397320005.jpg

397320007.jpg

397320006.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I picked up a 97 cummins that needed a front end saw your thread and me and a buddy went to work On it definitely the best fix to do to the the front end

397320005.jpg

397320007.jpg

397320006.jpg

Right on! Glad to be of a little service, tell us a little more about what leafs you used, what axle, etc.

Bradtoyotas

Right on! Glad to be of a little service, tell us a little more about what leafs you used, what axle, etc.

I used 4" ford powerstroke leafs from tough country with a 88 ford high pinion kingpin and on the drag link we went with chevy one ton Rod ends. Saw you used the 78 high pinion but from what I measured the 88 axle had a better purch width for what I was thinking well a buddy and I was thinking. Thanks for the thread helps to have a good idea to feed off of.. Truck is for sale 10k if anyone gets interested...bradtoyotas@yahoo.com
397962970.jpg

398174333.jpg

398174337.jpg

398174338.jpg

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
The ole Dodge Got a Warn M12000 shoe horned into the bumper I built years back. When I built the bumper I had no idea how much bigger the M12000 was than the Warn XD9000 I have on my Tacoma. I was able to make it fit though.
PA180007.jpg

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
Took me a minute to remember how to attach photos. You can see the size difference between the XD9000 and the M12000 in one of the pics. I re-stacked the clutches in the rear Dana 80 limited slip and I finally have some rear traction. It is not a Detroit or ARB but it is a lot better than the old single legger 1 wheel peal.

PA200009.jpg

PA180002.jpg

PA240001.jpg

PA180004-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles