1996 Toyota FZJ80 with 4BD2T diesel swap, locked, expedition ready, Oregon

poseidon

Observer
I purchased this rig already built from an iH8Mud member in California two years ago. I have been daily driving this unstoppable Cruiser for the last 6 months and it runs great every day. This veihicle has been ultra reliable and has gone everywhere I wanted to go and I ill miss it. At this time it is set up too capable and rugged for my family's needs. We have switched to a tow vehicle and travel trailer for most of our camping. I have a CVT McKinley or Mombasa tent that goes on top and a M416 military trailer I could add for the right price. I am VERY firm on the price.
$XXXXX for the rig.
$XXXXXRig + CVT McKinley
Ultimate Camping/Expo package:
$XXXX for Cruiser, tent, M416trailer, Yaesu FT-8800R+antenna+install bits, 65qt Pelican Elite cooler, Wavian fuel cans, LCI water cans and other fun camping/expo prizes.

The only trade I am looking for now is a 20' Airstream.
I am located in Corvallis, Oregon.

Drivetrain:
-1996 Isuzu 4BD2t turbo diesel.
-Garret T25/T28 water cooled turbo
-intercooled.
-relocated oil filter to the sidewall
-early 4BD1 oil pan for better clearance
-GM 4l65e auto transmission fresh custom built (10/30/2013) for the swap with Hughes heavy duty diesel/towing torque converter and a huge transmission cooler.
-PCS analog transmission controller that is in the cab and can be controlled on the fly.
-Fj62 part time transfer case rebuilt by George at valley hybrids and the shifting was changed to twin stick cable operated shifters.

Axles/tires
both front and rear axles have been fully rebuilt including all new bearings and seals all around (2013)
factory lockers.
4:88 gears
steel braided brake lines all around
ABS removed
LPSV removed
Master Cyl new in 2013
315/75/16 BFG All Terrains with lots of tread
Pro Comp 7031 wheels

Suspension:
4" Ironman springs with OME shocks
Ironman front and rear adjustable panhard bars
Ironman adjustable caster bushings
Ironman sway bar brackets

Armor:
Custom built bumpers and sliders
Front bumper with 8000lb smittybuilt winch and offroad HID lights
Sliders
Rear bumper with dual swingouts. high lift jack, spare tire, and CB antenna mounted on one side. water/fuel carrier on the other side. also has rear quarter protection off the bumper

Interior/exterior:
Dual battery (optima yellow top) system with T-max controller and auxiliary outlet in the rear for the fridge.
leather and two tone. front driver seat very torn, passenger starting to tear. typical of the landcruiser leather seats....
rear seats in good shape
3rd row seats in good shape with added lap belt for 3 seating back there
husky liners
Kenwood stereo/cd player with auxiliary input
Premier speakers
Cobra CB mounted under the stereo
B&M megashifter
Twin stick cable operated t-case shifters
HID lights
aux trans fan
glow plug momentary switch
T-max dual battery controller
Pillar pod with trans temp, pyrometer(EGT), boost gauge
Garmin GPS hard mounted and wired
DVD player
Sunroof
BH3D center console insert and rear double cup holder
Block heater
Battery Tender 800

pictures here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...thT2R2M3VnZXlUOEFjNHViNnY5T19hbWs&usp=sharing

Attachments

• DSC05009R640.jpg
    DSC05009R640.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC05011.jpg
    DSC05011.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:

poseidon

Observer
Some pictures Ken took last summer with tent closed and open with annex and one I took of it in the driveway open and the annex not attached.

Attachments

• ctw-overnight-5755.jpg
    ctw-overnight-5755.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 695
  • ctw-overnight-5756.jpg
    ctw-overnight-5756.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 637
  • 2015-02-22 16.19.13.jpg
    2015-02-22 16.19.13.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 658

skibum315

Explorer
Cool Cruiser ... looks like a great setup. You mention wanting to look for a good towing SUV ... which implies that this one is somehow not so good for towing. Out of curiosity, can you say a little bit about what you don't like in that regard? Also: any issues with emissions testing or with registration, or is that not required or any problem where you are?

poseidon

Observer
The previous owner had gone to the work to have the title switched in California to Diesel. Where I am in Oregon there is no emission testing.

To answer your towing question; I think it would tow great but doesn't work for my family right now.
The AC has never been made operational. All of the previous parts are there and I have the compressor but a mount to get the Toyota compressor on the motor has not been done and therefore it has no working AC right now. I contacted my two favorite mechanics and one told me had 2 Porsche motors that were getting a full rebuild and the other one is about to start a v8 motor and manual transmission swap into an Audi alltrack. So it will be several weeks until either of them get time to perform the modification.
It presently only has the flat 4 wiring ; again this could easily be upgraded. I actually have the new plug but haven't taken the time to have it installed.
The previous owner made his own tow receiver built into the bumper quite high in order to have a better departure angle. As a result it has no approved rating but more importantly is exceptionally high off the ground. I have a 16' Airstream which has an exceptionally low hitch height(17"). I have run into challenges getting a load distribution hitch with a long enough drop to work with our current airstream. I contacted a trailer place nearby and there is a hitch that connects to the bottom of the frame and is approved so it is both rated and would be mounted below the existing bumper. This hitch is back ordered to the factory. They expect in late July to have one it. It is rated for 6500# with a 700# or 750# tongue rating. This is enough to tow the 20' airstream we want to upgrade to.
If I add the hitch, AC, and wiring this could be used to tow a travel trailer at a comfort level acceptable to my family. In it's present condition it works great for me to tow my military trailer with all the windows down.
If it does not sell soon I will likely continue forward with my plans to add the AC and likely the other components too.

Last edited:

poseidon

Observer
I have had some questions about trade vehicles. I am looking for a clean and fairly stock height vehicle for towing. It also has to be a vehicle I like and I am pretty picky. I want it to have a minimum tow rating of 6500# and have 3rd row seating. I am not interested in anything from the big 3. The list I would consider is:
Audi Q7 with 3rd row(V8 or TDI)
Toyota Landcruiser V8 or Supercharged I6
Lexus LX470 or supercharged lx450
Mercedes Gwagon with 3rd row

I might consider a GX470, Land Rover with 3rd row, or Tundra crewmax.

poseidon

Observer
What kind of mpg do you get with the diesel? Thanks Don
Unfortunately all the stock gauges in the dash EXCEPT the speedometer and odometer work. The GPS unit displays your speed in the corner so that is easy but the total miles traveled on little around town trips is harder to capture. Long highway hauls can be measured and are in the low 20s.
The 4bt forum has a section for the Isuzu 4bdt motors and there is more info there on miles that can be expected for these engines.
From my experience It seems I can go a long time between fill ups and that makes me happy. I know when I had my lx470 I was filling up about every 12 days. When I was daily driving this rig I was filling it up about every 20 days.

poseidon

Observer
I do have the 3rd row seats in my garage and they are not in the pictures. There is also a rated tow hitch installed on the vehicle now.

poseidon

Observer
New optima yellow top installed, replacement passenger side mirror ordered, new possible trade for a GX470 added to original listing.

Henrymski

Do you have any pictures of the engine bay, interior and undercarriage? if you don't want to post, please email to kwakanut at gmail.
thanks

poseidon

Observer
Do you have any pictures of the engine bay, interior and undercarriage? if you don't want to post, please email to kwakanut at gmail.
thanks

If you go to the initial add at the end of the list just before the 2 pictures is a link to a google drive with 71 pictures in it. There are pictures of about everything, let me know if there is anything else you want pictures of. I think it is the color on my camera but some of the undercarriage pics make a little bit of surface rust look SO red, there is just a little surface rust in places but no rot. It has been on my list to get some por or fluid film on it but I just haven't gotten to it yet. It was a California rig and to the best of my knowledge doesn't have body rot anywhere, not even fenders or hatch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier