1996 LX450 "Rex" Build

kbellve

Observer
Starting a build thread for my triple locked LX450. Goal is to have an expedition vehicle that is reliable, robust and comfortable that we can enjoy. It won't be a rock crawler but it should be able to take us to most remote locations and have camp setup within 10-20 minutes after we stop driving for the day.

Starting with:
1612977876301.png

Already installed are OME heavy 2.5" springs and shocks, slee-offroad caster correction bushings, extended brake lines, and Ron Davis radiator. Not installed but currently have: 8K winch and 42 gallon aux LRA tank. I would rather have a larger winch, but it will do. I don't want to be in a situation where winching is a real possibility.

Arrived: Penthouse XL Tent
Arrived: Ostrich Wing Awning
On order: Drawer Kit

Some of the above was part of a recent group buy from Rugged Bound, which started the whole buying frenzy. "in for a penny, in for a pound"

On order: Delta VS Front Bumper
On order: Delta VS Rear Bumper

What I need is a new/reman/rebuilt 1FZ-FE, and new main gas tank. I am still thinking about the former, and the latter is out of stock at everywhere I have looked. I will replace anything in the engine bay/drivetrain if there is any question.

I will need to build a kitchen setup, and something for water storage. For the latter, I am thinking of a water tank that is under belly, between the passenger frame rail and body, after the exhaust crossover, to keep weight low, rather than the typical cans on the rear bumper. That penthouse tent is 193 lbs and it is high. I will probably only put a flexible solar panel on top and maybe recovery boards.

Speaking of rear bumper, one side will be a tire carrier, but the other side I am thinking of an aluminum storage box like the gallery or deluxe box from Aluminess.

I have a long way to go and build decisions will change as I get deeper and deeper into the project.

Last edited:

kbellve

Observer
I ordered a replacement gas tank from RockAuto that just became available again. It isn't listed under the LX450, but is under the landcruiser. $540 + shipping. I had it the next day. But, the cardboard box was damaged. The tank was almost unscathed but it had a pinpoint ding. Very small, but it is a gas tank afterall. Due to the internal baffles, it is impossible to get a body hammer on it from the insides. I reached out to RockAuto about it. They asked for a photo of the damage, and photo of the shipping box. The very next day they shipped out a new replacement tank and told me I could keep the one I have. I have to hold onto the damaged one for a few weeks in case the shipper wants to inspect it. The tank has a made in Taiwan label and it says it is made of Galvanized Steel, but I haven't checked.
1614350912862.png

kbellve

Observer
Replacement gas tank arrived with a dent along the flange at the corner. I don't think this is as bad as the ding above, which isn't that bad itself. The tank appears to be still sealed. The paint flaked off, and the tank does appear to be galvanized. There are other flange areas that are intentionally bent for clearance, so I don't think this bend is that bad. :) I could bend it back, but I am not going to bother. Paint it and be done.
1614622032944.png

I just ordered a stainless steel filler neck from otramm. Ryan, from OTRAMM, recognized my name from my early days of overlanding a 85 4Runner, which is pretty cool.

fillerneckcompare_orig.jpg

Last edited:

kbellve

Observer
The SS filler tube arrived from OTRAMM. It looks fantastic.

I just picked up the RTT from the local LTL trucking terminal. The tent is from Rugged Bound, model Penthouse XL from Big Country 4X4 in South Africa. We went with that model since it can hold bedding when closed. Trying to minimize setup and break down time.

Originally I had the LTL terminal load the RTT in my trailer as it was shipped, which was on its side (vertically). Sketchy but I thought I had it strapped down well enough, but after hitting way too many Massachusetts potholes, I noticed the tent was leaning. I pulled over and turned the tent on its side, sitting on top of the trailer as the picture shows (with packing and pallet removed now but was on during transport).

I am very impressed. The hinges look very strong. The top rails are screwed down, and not welded, which means I could replace them. It is easy to open and close very quickly.

1616257271205.png

More Photos here: Penthouse XL

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
Nice looking 80. 3 questions for ya. Why did you need new main tank, where does 42 gallon aux tank fit underneath and how does it ride with the lift?

kbellve

Observer
Hi Arktikos,

Original main tank failed due to rusting coupled with the charcoal canister failing causing over pressurization.

Aux tank fits where the factory spare is, which has to be relocated. It does sit lower than the spare.

The truck rides ok, not as well as OEM without a lift. The springs are designed for additional weight.

kbellve

Observer
The DeltaVS front and rear bumpers arrived.
View attachment 654016
In the above post, the box on the left was crushed. Someone thought it was a good idea to put another pallet on top, probably the box on the right.

1618333039757.png

Delta VS asked me to open everything up and inspect everything in that box. As far as I can tell, only the left swing arm has any apparent damage with scuff marks. They do not come off. Bummer..I am not building a show truck. It will be used.

** UPDATE ** Delta VS exchanged the damaged swing arm with a new one. The shipping company only reimbursed for 1/3 of the cost of the part because the damage was only discovered after they dropped off the shipping container. ** UPDATE **

Attachments

• 1618333039086.png
    1618333039086.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

kbellve

Observer
I am in the process of pulling off the factory roof rack in preparation for installing the 3 Load Bars and the Rugged Bound Penthouse XL RTT.

Two of the worse locations pictured below. The second one is from the wind deflector on the rear hatch. I will sand, rust prep, weld, and paint all the holes.

1622637539777.png
1622637516539.png

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I am in the process of pulling off the factory roof rack in preparation for installing the 3 Load Bars and the Rugged Bound Penthouse XL RTT.

Two of the worse locations pictured below. The second one is from the wind deflector on the rear hatch. I will sand, rust prep, weld, and paint all the holes.

View attachment 664066
View attachment 664065
Man I need to yank mine. Seeing all these rust threads has me worried.

You're building a nice rig, looking forward to updates. Dave at Delta is a stand up dude, I had a problem with an LCA and he asked for a picture of the packing sheet, then promptly shipped me a replacement. Great customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier