1996 Land Rover Discovery

AbnMike

Observer
Looking to sell my 1996 Land Rover Discovery. I only have a few photos right now but can take some for anyone seriously interested. If it doesn't sell here I'm going to have some professional photos taken and submit it on Bring A Trailer.

Reason I'm selling: I need a truck. Got back into motorcycle racing and putting a trailer on the back just to go ride for an hour is a pain in my butt (same with going to the lumber yard, picking up mulch, etc). It's doable, but Discovery's don't like hauling trailers (even though I've hauled two motorcycles in mine for hundreds of miles at a stretch). I know an option is to keep the Discovery and pick up a cheap small truck, but ... no.

$9,000 - located in Morgantown, WV

Known issues (so you can stop reading here if any of these is a deal killer):

1: FIXED: Both front seat bottoms have rips (the backs are fine). I have a line on two new seat bottoms and will have them installed, or send them along with the truck if someone must have it right now.
2: FIXED: The rear window wiper switch only works sometimes. The wiper works fine (comes on with the washer) but the switch must be going out. I have one of those coming with the seats.
3: The a/c recirculator switch doesn't work. The a/c works fine. - I have sourced the switch. It's a bit involved to switch it out as it involves removing the dash. I'm including the new switch with the truck.
4: The rear door latch doesn't unlock all the way - quite the known issue with the Discovery, and easily fixable. It will unlock with the key, just not with the fob. Key in and it works fine. Problem: The springs wear out. Mine's worn so it doesn't push the latch up all the way. I prefer opening with the key because it keeps folks out of the back since I rarely lock the doors.

I can't think of much else. I'm pretty meticulous with my vehicles.

Mileage - +/- 175,000 but only 30k on rebuilt top end. Oil changed every 3 months regardless of mileage. PUROLATOR Filter #L40316 and Rotella T 15W-40

Cruises all day long at 70mph, even with the lift and tires.

Last edited:

AbnMike

Observer
Part II

Engine:

30k miles on new heads and gaskets, camshaft, hydraulic lifters, timing chain and gears, water pump, clear expansion tank, valve cover gaskets, vacuum hoses (all).

15k miles on new power steering pump and power steering hoses (of course it still weeps a bit)
20k miles on Magnaflow stainless steel Y pipe and catalytic converters
New engine and transmission mounts
NRP stainless steel muffler and exhaust

New ignition wires, brand new master cylinder and brake booster. Calipers at all four corners have less than 3k miles on them. Rotors in rear have about 5k miles. Rotors in front are drilled and slotted and less than 150 miles.

New front 02 Sensors. New front ABS sensors.

New radiator and hoses, new thermostat.

Front wheel bearings have less than 3k miles.

Drivetrain:

Front driveshaft is a Double cardan driveshaft from Tom Woods
Rear Driveshaft has been converted to full U-joint shaft from Rotoflex

Other goodies:

Rear Rigid LED flood lights, manually controlled from circuit panel (and come on with in reverse)

Mantec Snorkel, properly installed

Waterproof Seat Covers, all seats (see above re: seat bottoms and replacement)
New Black Headliner
All dome lights converted to LEDs
Updated 1998 dashboard

RAM Mount for tablet/iPad for navigation use
Sony stereo system with custom subwoofer enclosure
Bluetooth pairing for android or iPhone for hands free calling or streaming music
2 high range and 6 mid range speakers

Safari Guard front brush guard and HD anodized, aluminum skid plate
Superwinch TS 9500 winch with Superwinch green synthetic line (This winch pulled a Chevy 2500 with a 5000lb Airstream trailer out of the muck in WV. It's no slouch)
Evolution P&D steel rock sliders with side rail
Old Man Emu 2" lift, coils and springs
BF Goodrich Radial MT KM2s, 255-85-R16
Evolution P&D Anodized 6061-T6 aluminum leveling spacers
Terra Firma adjustable panhard rod with polyurethane bushings
Evolution P&D black anodized, 7075-T6 Drag link and track rods
Steering damper relocation to drag link

AbnMike

Observer
Part III

The engine has no codes, no CEL, nothing.

Two code readers come with it - a plug and play reader/code eraser, and a laptop enabled one for longer term monitoring.

You probably won't find a cleaner Discovery with no rust (seriously, no rust) on the East Coast. It came from Oregon originally. Washed and waxed regularly.

The RTT does NOT convey, because I sold it.

For serious interest I'll video a vacuum gauge on the motor (way better than a compression tester) which will show the shape this motor is in - which is excellent. Will come with a fresh oil change, one is due in about 1000 miles but I'll do it beforehand with the larger filter, too.

Attachments

• RTT.jpg
    RTT.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 365
  • Camping.jpg
    Camping.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 358
  • Montana.jpg
    Montana.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Discovery Interior.jpg
    Discovery Interior.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

AbnMike

Observer
Some more photos. When I did the swivel ball I readjusted the swivel preload as well, and will do the other side this evening, which will probably take care of that slight shimmy.

I cleaned up the rust on the rear bumper and under the worthless when wet plastic step. I removed the step, but kept it. I painted the bumper and the ladder in truck bed paint for grip.

Attachments

• drive link.jpg
    drive link.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Bumper surface rust.jpg
    Bumper surface rust.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 198
  • New rotors.jpg
    New rotors.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 161
  • Front view.jpg
    Front view.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

AbnMike

Observer
683 views and not a single comment? Does the truck suck? Do I need better photos? There are two Discos on here that mine is easily comparable to, if not better than, and they have pages of comments and I got zilch?

Is it because I didn't put "built" and "expo" in the title? I figured anyone could look at it and tell it was both those things.

AbnMike

Observer
Thanks DC Benny - I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who could see my post.

I've added three photos showing that the gauge and instruments work, and that there are no codes:

1: Engine off, key on
2: Engine on, no CEL, ABS light showing
3: Engine on, no CEL, ABS light off (after going 5 mph which triggers it off if no codes are found in the ABS system).

The photos show out of order, so the Gauge 1, Gauge 2, and Gauge 3 file names correspond with the above descriptions.

Attachments

• gauge 1.jpg
    gauge 1.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Gauge 2.jpg
    Gauge 2.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Gauge 3.jpg
    Gauge 3.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 115

RANGEROVERSURFER

I feel compelled to comment on this Awesome Rig, if I remember correctly it was listed on EBAY by a guy up in North Carolina... current owner has done wonders to for this Land Rover, if I did not have a couple of Land Rovers, I would get this, someone is going to get a super nice Land Rover.:chef:

AbnMike

Observer
I feel compelled to comment on this Awesome Rig, if I remember correctly it was listed on EBAY by a guy up in North Carolina... current owner has done wonders to for this Land Rover, if I did not have a couple of Land Rovers, I would get this, someone is going to get a super nice Land Rover.:chef:

It was built in Washington by NorthWest Overland. I bought it off Ebay last year in March and moved it to Montana and then to WV - done a ton of work on it, but it was in great built shape when I got it. The main work I did is complete brake system - calipers, rotors, master cylinder and booster, and keeping it up with oil changes, fresh plugs and wires, and general maintenance.

The ABS system used to throw all kinds of codes, but that's been rectified, too. It's a true no code Land Rover.

Thanks for the comment!

AbnMike

Observer
For those of you who monitor engine performance and whatnot via your code readers, I'm putting up two photos taken yesterday showing my Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) is currently at 0.8% and Engine Temperature at 187 degrees F - that's on a 90 degree day with the AC running.

Pretty proud of those LTFT numbers though - LTFT is an average of Short Term Fuel Trim to show what the computer has had to adjust (rich or lean) to keep the motor running at the optimal long term air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1. So at 0.8% it's showing my truck is running at the optimal fuel/air ratio.

Attachments

• LTFT1.jpg
    LTFT1.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 124
  • LTFT2.jpg
    LTFT2.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 122

AbnMike

Observer
Oil and filter changed yesterday with Rotella 15/40 and the oversized oil filter.

Forgot to add it has a new fuel pump and fuel filter.

I also added a plug in oil pan heater to assist in starting up with warm oil on cold mornings. (note, this is not a block heater, but a pad that glues onto the pan and heats from below).

I'd prefer to sell it outright than put it up for Auction but will probably do that in a month or so. Trying to avoid going out and getting a ton of professional pics, even though my wife is a photographer and she'll take them, staging it, etc is a pain.

Last edited:

AbnMike

Observer
Couple more pics. Note that tidy engine compartment.

I would not hesitate to get in this truck, load it up, and drive it anywhere at all. In the past year it has been on numerous 6, 7, 8 hundred mile trips to get to tracks and camping - some of those trips were pulling the trailer in the pic loaded with dirt bikes and gear. In March it hauled me from Pittsburgh area to Atlanta and back, in April went loaded up out to Kentucky, etc, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

AbnMike

Observer
Prepping for sale (or keep perhaps, I bought a Ridgeline which solves my truck needs).

Decided to replace all of the fuel injectors since I didn't know the provenance of them and while I'm there replace the valve cover gasket.

Here's a couple photos showing the condition of the motor. That's not cleaned up, that's exactly as I pulled the cover off.

Still haven't done the wash and photo shoot to prep it for auction, so it's still available at this low price.

I also ordered the Exmoor seat covers (they aren't slip on, they're replacement for the stock seat covers) but they don't arrive from England until end of October. If it sells before then I'll forward them along.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 136

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles