1996 Land Rover Discovery XD Eco-challenge low mileage

preacherman

Explorer
Well I really hate to do this but, I am putting my Land Rover up for sale. I am selling it because I am taking a job as a Executive Director of a non-profit 501c3 and will be both taking a pay cut and will have to travel a lot by vehicle. Neither one of these bode well for me keeping this Land Rover.

The story of this land rover can be easily found by poking around the web. The best place to find a lot of info about this truck is to start at my build thread located here.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/167746-1996-Land-Rover-Discovery-XD-Eco-Challenge-build

If you are not familiar with this Land rover I will you give you the short version of what it is. This is a one of only 28 1996 Land Rover XD’s made specifically for the 1996 Eco-challenge event that aired on the Discovery channel. This particular truck has less than 85,000 miles (Carfax verified) making it possibly the lowest mileage Eco-challenge that is out there. This truck was posted a few years ago for sale for $20,000. A member here bought it and had it shipped to his home. Upon arrival, he discovered that he strongly disagreed with the description the previous owner had used to describe the truck. After a long back and forth he posted the truck for sale with a very honest description on this site for $10,000.

I picked it up with eyes wide open for slightly less than that and dove into making it a very capable and reliable family expedition truck. To date I have spent way too much making this truck what it is today.

Items I personally have replaced or changed in the last year (and have receipts for)
New radiator
New head gaskets (with new studs and top end gasket set)
New coolant tank reservoir
New coolant tank cap
All new cooling hoses
New hose clamps all around
New 185 deg failsafe thermostat
New water pump
New coolant temperature switch (computer side)
New coolant template (gauge side)
New plugs
New 8mm plug wires (kingsbore)
New air filter
Cleaned mass air flow sensor
New balanced, matched fuel injectors (all 6)
New oil pan gasket
Checked and cleaned oil pickup tube
New alternator
New serp belt
New battery
New drivers bottom seat foam
New 3m window tint all around
Replaced 2 window switches (all switches now work)
New front o2 sensors (both sides)
New manifold gaskets (against engine and to cats)
Repacked front wheel bearings
New fuel filter (8/17)
Drained and replaced oil in front differential
Drained and replaced oil in rear differential
Drained and replaced auto transmission filter and fluid
Drained and replaced oil in transfer case
Ran compression check (between 165-172 psi in all cylinders)
Resealed front windshield
Wired all off-road lights
Bled brakes
New xm radio module
New front windshield wipers (Bosch)
New rear windshield wipers (Bosch)
New PCV valve
New fuel cap

Items replaced right before I purchased the truck
2 Inch suspension lift (4 new lift springs)
4 new procomp shocks
New brake pads all around
New brake master cylinder
New fan clutch
New tires (all 4, spare is good and also newer)
New sway bar links
New rear drive shaft coupling
New rear top link
New steering stabilizer
New paint
New Eco-Challenge decals

Problems.
Not many really. I just drove this truck last month 2,000 round trip with my family to off road in Ouray. It ran great and got 11-14 mpg depending how I drove. Drives 65-70 all day long
-I have not fixed the small rust issues yet. I would estimate this is about a $800-1000 repair if you pay someone to do it. (see my thread)
-The carpet is worn in the passenger side by the transmission hump
-The paint looks ok but is not perfect. You can tell it was done fast (overspray) but seems to be holding up well and the graphics look great. I would suggest reading my thread about this further. I cleaned up much of the overspray and it looks a lot better
-A few trim pieces are cracked. The dash bezel is the worst, I have been watching ebay for one but I not seen one I liked yet. The sun visors are a little worn as well but work fine.
-For the life of me I cannot get the cruise to work. I think it is the computer but the last one I bought on ebay was bad as well. I have replaced all of the lines, the pump, the steering wheel switch and now 2 computers.
-The rear muffler is rusted on the exterior but functions well.
-Its missing two mud flaps

I will be keeping my ham radio but would include it for another $250. I have some misc parts and pieces that will go with it, including two brush guards and the hard to find and expensive original front factory hella off road lights.

I have debated on what to ask for a few days now. Given its low milage, the extensive work I have done and the pile of new parts it has, I really feel like (edit price drop) $12,300OBO is a fair place to start. I would be willing to listen to offers however even though I am not in a hurry to sell it at the moment. Current mileage is 84,440 but it will only go up slightly as it is not my daily driver.

Untitled by paul talley, on Flickr

Last edited:

preacherman

Explorer
I am open to offers. I would also consider a partial trade for something like a Subaru outback or forester (something better for lots of traveling)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Matador

No interest in a partial trade for a Ducati 1098 race/track bike by any chance? Absolutely amazing rig btw. One of my all time favorites

preacherman

Explorer
That would be awesome but I need something to travel with plus there is not a track anywhere close to here. Thanks however.

El Matador

That would be awesome but I need something to travel with plus there is not a track anywhere close to here. Thanks however.

Damn. I knew it was a long shot. Oh well, GLWTS, can't imagine it'll stick around for long at that price. It's so well done.

preacherman

Explorer
7a9ff64eecd40fbffd806c395ef6981a.jpg

She is all ready to go! Just needs a new owner.

rhuca6

followed your build thread awhile back and you did a wonderful job bringing this disco back to life! Wish I was in the market right now but got to wait until I finish school in December. Disco looks beautiful good luck with the sell!

preacherman

Explorer
I've had a lot of calls, questions and looks but no one has pulled the trigger yet. Price drop to 12,300

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles