1996 Land Rover Discovery XD Eco-Challenge build

preacherman

Explorer
Land Rover XD full fluid flush, new plugs wires and...RTV caulk??

Arriving home after a great weekend in the mountains I got straight to work on the XD. Making a list of parts I would need from Rovers North, I put together a rather large order. Of first priority was what might be an overheating problem. I say might because I was not convinced the overheating my ultra gauge was reading was actually overheating. My hunch stemmed from two things. First, the truck didn’t seem to actually be showing any overt signs of overheating. It was not smoking, spilling over, losing power or even registering hot on the dash gauge. Normally I would not have thought twice about it, but all the horrors stories of Discovery’s blowing engines because of overheating had me second-guessing myself.

The only reason I was actually worried in the first place was that the ultra gauge sometimes screamed at me that the truck was overheating. The gauge would run between 185 and 230 within a matter of seconds. :Wow1: It would go up to 230 briefly, and then back to 190, then 175, then 215. To make matters worse, I could hear air sloshing around in the heater core. The truck obviously had a new water pump and fan, so maybe someone had tried to find the issue and gave up??

Not wanting to risk it, I went crazy on the Rovers North web site and ordered the entire cooling system except the heater core. Since we intend to take this on long backcountry camping trips the peace of mind was worth the price. I ordered a new radiator, expansion tank, cap, hoses, Land Rover thermostat, gaskets, temp gauge, and even new hose clamps. Since the water pump and fan looked new I simply tested those. They tested out fine.

Digging in, I completely drained and flushed the entire system. There was quite a bit of calcium buildup in many of the parts and I was glad I got new everything. Once I removed the old radiator I found a pinhole leak that was behind the mounting pillar, I never would have found it. The radiator also looked like it had been re-cored before. The bad black paint job was a dead giveaway. Testing the old sensors, the ECU sensor tested bad, but the dash one tested fine. The bad ECU side sensor would explain the jumping reading coming form the Ultra gauge. The gauge uses the ECU sensor and the dash used the other one. That mystery solved, I started replacing everything.

Once I got the cooling system all back together I borrowed a buddies vacuum coolant tools. I capped off the heater core to check it and was delighted to discover it would hold 15lbs of vacuum for 3 minutes with no problems. Not having to take off the dash is always a good thing. I then vacuum tested the entire system. I almost forgot this step but was glad I didn’t once I heard the sucking noise that told me I had put the thermostat gasket on backwards. Fixing that, I then moved on to filling the system up under vacuum. After I buttoned everything up I had a very cool running Discovery XD.

New Radiator Installed

Next I flushed everything. Starting at the front of the car I flushed the oil and put in a larger filter and some fresh oil. While the oil was not terrible, it needed changed badly.

Completely draining the power steering fluid I topped it up with a full bottle and a half of Lucas power steering stop leak. Hopefully that will put a dent in my “chassis lubrication system”.

Moving on to the diffs, I discovered the front was heavily contaminated with water and low on fluid. I was glad I had not driven far with the oil level this way. Completely flushing the old oil out, I topped up with fresh gear lube and moved to the rear. The rear cap gave me a struggle. It took a big breaker bar and some choice words to get the drain off. Once off, I discovered what appeared to be original fluid mixed with a fresh “top off” layer. Nice. Flushing the diff, I topped it off with fresh oil as well.

Crawling under the Discovery, I next checked the transfer case fluid level. Sticking my finger completely into the transfer case, I could not feel any oil at all. Great. This is the last thing I need. Draining the case I was surprised and relieved to find it had a small amount of fresh fluid in the case. Looking at the case closer, someone had tried to repair a large transfer case leak by smearing RTV sealant across all the leaking spots like caulk. They of course used black RTV in an attempt to hide the hack repair, but it was obviously to stop the leak. Shaking my head, I took it all apart and did it the right way. Since the oil was now out, it didn’t add too much of a step to remove the covers and do it right. I topped up the transfer case to the correct level and with the correct fluid and was very glad I didn’t drive it back like I had originally planned. I really might have fried that transfer case.

Moving onto the tranny I discovered I would have to drop the cat’s to get the transmission pan off to change the oil and filter. I had noticed that one of my O2 sensors was throwing a code so I decided to order new sensors and drop the cats, replace the back sensors and change the transmission fluid and filter the next weekend. Crawling around changing all the fluids I did discover a few more issue to fix and a few issues someone had already attended to. The good news is I discovered the Land Rover had a new flex joint :wings:, new shocks and lift coils (they look to be OME) one new u-joint, and a recent fuel filter. I made my list of next week’s parts orders and called it a day.

The next day I popped the hood and started on the plugs and wires. There was an audible wine from the alternator through the radio that was one of two things. Either there was a bad spark plug wire, or the rectifier in the alternator was bad. Getting out my amp meter I first discovered a crack in one of the spark plug boots that was causing the plug wire to arc to the manifold. I had suspected the wires would test bad and already had a set of Kingsborne 9mm wires on hand. Pulling the plugs I also discovered two different types of spark plugs. 7 of the plugs where regular bosch plugs and one was a bosch 4+. That might explain the mis-fire code for cylinder 4 with the odd plug (a code I had also gotten when I plugged in the ultra gauge). Running to the parts store I picked up a new complete set of NGK plugs to go with the new wires.

With the new plugs and wires changed I tested the radio. While the wining noise was better there was still a slight noise on acceleration. Testing the alternator I found out why. The rectifier was stuck open allowing 15.2 volts out at all times.:Wow1: While I had planned on changing the alternator at some point for peace of mind in the boonies, I had hoped to wait a few weeks. Luckily I have a great place locally that re-builds all of our alternators for our work fleet. I could drop it off with them and see what they said.

When I dropped it off a few days later, the counter guy saw me walking up holding an alternator in my hand. “That will be $65 and will be ready tomorrow. He said. Then turning it over and seeing the Land Rover Logo he piped back up, “Oh wait this says Land Rover, It will be $149 and will take a week.” So that is how this goes, I thought….

New Alternator Installed

rover rob

good job so far. I remember the crap storm surrounding this truck. if that was a actual divorce someone woulda ended up dead. lol

mpinco

Expedition Leader

The rectifier was stuck open allowing 15.2 volts out at all times.
Wow1.gif
While I had planned on changing the alternator at some point for peace of mind in the boonies, I had hoped to wait a few weeks. Luckily I have a great place locally that re-builds all of our alternators for our work fleet. I could drop it off with them and see what they said.

When I dropped it off a few days later, the counter guy saw me walking up holding an alternator in my hand. “That will be $65 and will be ready tomorrow. He said. Then turning it over and seeing the Land Rover Logo he piped back up, “Oh wait this says Land Rover, It will be $149 and will take a week.” So that is how this goes, I thought….......

You can purchased just the regulator for $66 as that is what typically goes first.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
As a reformed Disco II owner and an ongoing Land Rover fan, this thread is awesome for me. I love seeing your methodical and careful approach to everything. Sounds like the truck is finally getting the love and attention it deserves. I can't wait to see it have new life breathed into it and take on a new form.

preacherman

Explorer
As a reformed Disco II owner and an ongoing Land Rover fan, this thread is awesome for me. I love seeing your methodical and careful approach to everything. Sounds like the truck is finally getting the love and attention it deserves. I can't wait to see it have new life breathed into it and take on a new form.

Thanks it's been fun so far and is turning out to be a great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

preacherman

Explorer
XD Interior parts, radio and new seat foam

The following week I finished up all of the PM items on my list. I also tackled several interior issues that just bugged me. I had ordered a complete front Land Rover seat bottom foam in my big parts order and was eager to get it changed out. I had a hunch that the complete seat foam was bad since the seat felt like it was stuffed with old bath towels. Removing the seat from the Discovery I found something that was a complete surprise.

The seat foam of course was bad from repeated sliding in and out of the truck. That was not surprising since a large portion of older lifted 4x4’s end up that way. Upon taking off the seat cover, I discovered that someone had tried to fix the seat. While that in itself is not a big deal, whoever tried to fix it managed to only complete a hack job repair. Two different types of foam were hastily glued in rough patches in a disparate attempt to make the seat feel less broken down. Laughing as I removed the seat bottom I called my wife out to the garage to see the masterpiece some gorilla had created by gluing layers of new foam into a 20 year old seat.

New Seat Foam

Still chuckling to myself, I started to install the new seat foam. Wrestling with the seat cover I stopped laughing as the reality of a problem sunk in. It would seem that the hack foam job was the least of my problems. Whoever glued the hastily cut pieces of foam to the seat bottom also modified the original seat cover in an attempt to make it fit the newly styled foam. Now that I had new foam, the seat cover was too small. Turning over the seat cover I could see that about two inches of material had been removed and the cover re-stitched to keep the fit tight. Putting the cover down in disgust, I went inside and called it a night.

The next day I found an auto upholstery shop and explained my issue. The seat cover was in great shape, so a new piece was grafted in to replace the modified old cover. He only charged me $75 and it took 2 days but the finished product turned out great and the seat feels much better. The only down side is that in the sunlight the new portion of the cover is just a shade different. It’s only noticeable in direct sunlight so it really does not bug me. I may get seat covers down the line. The seat however feels like a million bucks now.

Repaired Cover

While my seat cover was in the shop it rained a few days. After getting the seat back I opened the XD to discover that I had a small lake in the floorboard. Grrrrr, my list was big enough without adding new issues to it every day.

Leaking Windshield

Getting out the shop vac, I tried to pinpoint the leak. After I dried everything off I spread out dry newspaper and checked on the progress every few hours. By the third time I went outside I had pinpointed the leak.

When it stopped raining, I took some soapy water and sprayed it around the outside portion of the windshield I thought was leaking. Taking an air hose gun, I shot air from inside of the truck. Sure enough, large air bubbles formed. At least it was an easy fix. That night I found a Land Rover TSB about resealing the windshield and called “my guy”. We have a fleet account with a local windshield repair shop and replace about one windshield a week with him. I explained my problem and he told me to drop it off at his shop for a day so he could work on it between appointments. Once he got into it, he found a lot of gunk and dirt built up in-between the seal and the windshield. After cleaning it, he resealed the windshield. It has been bone dry every since.

Next I tore into the dash. I wanted to makes sure everything was dry as well as see if I could reinstall the radio. Judging by the sound of the radio I was sure whoever installed it didn’t do it right. Sure enough, I found several small problems. I reinstalled the radio using a factory Land Rover harness. I also cleaned up some connections and installed a ground loop isolator. Since I HATE local radio stations and we travel to far off places, I went ahead and installed an XM radio module. The radio that came with the truck was XM ready, I simply had to buy the $35 radio, plug it in and run the antenna.

While I was in the dash I replaced all of the interior dash lights that were out. Dash lights out bugs me more than anything else. All of the dash lights were out in the AC controls and it was a huge pain to drive at night. The lights in the shifter where also out, so I swapped in a new set for good measure.

The good news is that the lights were a simple and cheap fix that made a large difference in the aesthetics of the truck. I also installed a Range Rover analogue clock to replace the burned out digital clock that came with my XD. I know it is not original, but I like the look of the analogue one better.

Dash lights

Ever since my alternator had been rebuilt I had noticed my truck was still a bit slow to crank. The next day at work I dropped into the fleet bay and checked my battery with our battery tester. Sure enough the battery had a dead cell. Since we travel to such isolated places, I had planed on replacing the battery with a fresh AMG one but I had hoped it could wait until I wanted to. Now I needed too.

My last two batteries where Optima (lasted 7 years) and a die-hard platinum (lasted 3 and then I sold the truck). Since Optima seems to be going down hill and Sears discontinued the Platinum, I didn’t have a clue what I wanted to get. I did some research and choose a relative new comer for me. I went with a Duracell AGM from Sam’s. You read that right, Duracell. Come to find out they are made by a well-respected battery company (Eastbay) and the price was right. At $129 (with a 3 year warranty) I couldn’t complain. Swapping in the new battery I noticed an immediate improvement in just about everything electrical.

New AMG Battery

I now had completed over half my list. With all the preventive maintenance done, a new cooling system top to bottom, and a completely new charging system, I was ready to take it on its first road trip. The only thing I was miffed about was; I could not figure out was the cruise control, and I still couldn’t get my IPhone to connect to the Bluetooth radio in the truck. Those are relatively small problems however.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Love your story!

Thanks for posting your adventure and all the little successes that make LR ownership so rewarding. I'm following along.

workmeistr

I am SO glad this old girl found the right home. You are a beacon, Paul, in this poor girl's dark past. I just found this thread and it warms my heart knowing what you are doing. Take care, Bren.

spikemd

Explorer
Excellent work on injecting life in this poor D1. Read a bit about the mishaps and poor representation from the 'reputable' vendor. Everyone will steer clear of him going forward. Too bad workmeistr had to bear the brunt of a dishonest seller. That D1 is coming along nicely and sounds ready to hit the trail. Like all rovers, proper maintenance and a close eye will keep them running strong. Great work!

preacherman

Explorer
Sorry I have not posted in a while I am knee deep in a upper end build and head gasket repair and have not had time. More great details soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

preacherman

Explorer
Road Trip

I had brought the maintenance items up to snuff on the old girl so it was time for a road trip. Santa had brought my youngest son a new Osprey backpack for Christmas so we decided to go backpacking. Big Bend is only three hours from us and would be a great short trip to test out the reliability of the rover. Not wanting to travel at night, I decided to leave early on Saturday morning. After one last check of all the fluids (and my tool kit), we headed off.

Starting off I was both nervous and excited. Nervous that the rover would have some type of major problem, but excited to finally be on a road trip with the rover. The first hour of the trip was Interstate. Settling in at 70mph the rover cruised along without a hickup. The next hour was backroads cruising at 65mph. The last hour was mixed mountains and driving at altitude. Each mile made me worry less and less and feel better about the rover. We finally arrived at the park and went backpacking.

Big Bend

After a few days of backpacking we loaded up to head home. Before we left the park we stopped for gas and checked the fluids one more time. Hmmm, where was the fluid level on that coolant before?? It may be my imagination, but the coolant level in the overflow tank seemed low… I would have to check that again when I got home.

The three hours home the rover was a champ. No overheating, a nice steady powerband and a smooth cruise on the highway. The only problem I had was slight play in one of the front wheel bearings, my iphone still would not connect to the aftermarket radio and the cruise control still didn't work.

Once home the coolant was a bit lower again. After thinking about it, I decided that the coolant level could have been low because I finally burped all the air out of the cooling system. Denial always comes first.

The next weekend I dove into the front wheel bearings. They had obviously been replaced lately as the bearings, races and grease where all new timken bearings. The only problems I found where the front left bearing was not tightened enough and they could all use more grease. Cramming the wheel bearings with fresh (and more) grease, I buttoned everything back up according to the rave and took it for a spin on the highway. Problem solved.

preacherman

Explorer
New SUb

The next day my IT guy at work and I found a firmware update to the stereo and bata bing, bata boom, I finally had bluetooth connectivity.

A few days after getting my iPhone to connect, I decided to do something about the crappy sound. The sub was obviously not working and the only sounds coming out of the radio was the mid and high notes. It sounded like listening to music in a tin can. Taking apart the sub I made a cool discovery. Someone had attempted to replace the factory sub with a new, nicer sub. After snooping around, I discovered that they had simply wired it wrong. After re-wiring the new sub I had great sound! I celebrated by installing a XM module as well. I now had satellite radio, iphone connectivity, and a working radio. Road trips would be better.

Over the next few weeks I drove the rover as much as I could. While it never overheated, I was definitely loosing coolant somewhere. Hmmm, I will have to keep an eye on that.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Once home the coolant was a bit lower again. After thinking about it, I decided that the coolant level could have been low because I finally burped all the air out of the cooling system. Denial always comes first.

I understand this sentiment completely ;)

also, so strange to me is that the pic of your brake pedal blows my mind, it's huge! I've never been in an auto model... weird. Good work so far.

preacherman

Explorer
Expo Trailer break

I took a break from the rover to do some work on my Expo trailer. Since the last few heavier upgrades I had completed, the trailer springs have been sagging. I decided a spring over swap was in order. This would help with the sag and would get the height to better match the rover. An hour later and it's perfect. The ride and high perfectly match the rovers stance.

Before

After

Stance with Discovery

You can find the complete trailer build here.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/70673-M416-hybrid-(updated-w-lots-O-Pics)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94