1996 K1500 Build

djp73

Hello all.
I'm new here and I figured I would jump right in posting my 96 K1500 build.
I have had the truck for over six years and the build thread I'm migrating started then.
I'll do my best to make things tidy here and to keep dates on each post.
Thanks.

djp73

Original Post Date: 7/11/17

So, over the years I have had a number of trucks.

The last one had left the stable a few years back but we were living less than 10 minutes away from both dads who both had trucks I could borrow whenever.

We also had a 99 CRV that I used for dump runs etc.

April of last year we sold our house.

In June or thereabouts we replaced the CRV with a much nicer, newer one.

In early September we bought our new house and were no longer close enough to borrow dad trucks.

I had started my truck search in July/August and after looking at a few overpriced mid 2000s trucks that needed a ton of work I decided on a 88-98 body style. Working as a service manager has afforded me the opportunity to observe a number of trucks and I feel that generation of GM trucks is better.

I looked at a bunch on Craigslist and sent a few messages. One that I was really interested in had been brought here from Oregon. It was in need of some mechanical attention but the body and frame were solid.

I wasn't able to go look at the truck due to packing and doing last minute stuff with a couple weeks to go before closing.

I sent a message a week or so later and found the truck had been sold. I decided to wait until after the move to keep looking.

We closed on September 9th and I got a message that the deal had fallen through and the truck was still available.

I told the seller I was in the process of moving and I could see the truck next weekend.

He told me he needed to sell it that weekend because he was leaving back west.

djp73

Original Post Date: 7/11/17

I sweet talked my wife into letting me go look at the truck despite it being moving day and our fifth anniversary. It was as described, needing attention but structurally sound.

Here's the picture from the ad.
52325592362_3414e846b3_o.jpg

djp73

7/11/17

Here's a good overall pic, also from the ad.
52326914820_61d24318b2_o.jpg

One of my primary concerns was the rocker panels and cab corners, most of the trucks up here have none.
Some pictures of those he sent before I went to look at it.

52325592397_b821297eab_o.jpg

52326914870_b3b489f1c5_o.jpg

djp73

7/11/17

The list of repairs to this point has been extensive, but not unexpected. (Most of these repairs took place in the first few weeks of ownership, before I started driving it.)

All brakes. (Pads, rotors, calipers, shoes, drums and hardware)

Power Steering Pump.

Fuel Pump (twice). Replaced the original with a Delphi as a precaution and the new one failed a few months later, no problems since.)

Brake Master Cylinder. (had to do this twice as well, upgraded to the "NBS" master the second time.)

Radiator.

Oil Cooler lines and Housing Gaskets.

Transfer Case Output Seal.

Catalytic Converter/Y-Pipe. (Went with Magnaflow.)

Muffler. (Truck had a Flowmaster kit on it that was rough, scabbed it together with a $40 Thrush welded muffler.)

Battery.

Tune Up. (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.)

djp73

7/11/17

All of the above mentioned repairs took place in the fall/early winter of 2016. I drove the truck throughout the winter.

There have been a number of mods done but I didn't take pictures for the most part. I will take pictures and post as I can and keep things up to date going forward.

djp73

In February of 2018 I broke the crankshaft in the 350. I debated an LS swap but between timing and funds it wasn't feasible at the time.

djp73

2/24/18

Oh, just for the sake of bringing this up to date here are a few things that happened.

The drivers seat is trashed. I stripped a parts truck interior that a friend had. Gray leather. It was out of a third door truck and mine isnt. Spent some time trying to track down the additional panels I needed and didn't have much luck.

Then a tan parts truck came up so I bought the front seats and drivers door panel. Currently sitting in my garage.

Also, in September 2017it went to the body shop and had the door bottoms and roof fixed and painted as well as the windshield replaced.

Around that time I purchased a matching hood in much better shape than mine and swapped it.

djp73

Pulled the whole front clip during the engine replacement and took the opportunity to clean up and paint the front of the frame.
52439371714_a944b6fcc6_b.jpg

52439618308_f361cdac2c_b.jpg

52439095306_51250ec6dd_b.jpg

Last edited:

djp73

Sometime around ?May? of 2018 this arrived:

52439553085_e01910c48b_b.jpg

Jegs 5.7 Vortec "repower" engine. Basically a reman with a few updated/upgraded parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles