1996 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4x4 Ambulance Build Thread

Trailwerx

Member
The tire (it's also around 32" as I recall) doesn't hang over the windshield but the rack basket does, by about 9 inches. But not enough to notice it when I'm driving. One could dispose of the rack basket altogether and rig a real tire mount between the rack crossbars. I've been meaning to do that as the cheapo steel basket is already starting to rust.
In the pic it looks like the rear of the basket is hitting the utility body but there is actually about 2 1/2" of clearance.
 
Awesome thanks! I think this is the route I'll for now at least. I just ordered cheap load bars, will work on finding a cheap basket next. If it works well and I like the height, I'll get the Smittybilt defender gutter mounts and make something out of 8020 or unistrut.
 
I replaced the accordion seal yesterday and got to work removing the stretcher brackets. Front one came off easy. The rear most one the knob unthreaded from the stud. Tried vice grips, bolt extractors, and a hammer impact all failed. Eventually cut the stud off. Then when trying to remove the in floor mount itself, broke two bolts.

Apparently these things have not been removed. In 25 years from the looks of it.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Nrockwell

New member
Not sure if you figured out who the manufacturer of your box is but I attached a wiring diagram for my Emergency One ambulance of a similar vintage (1995 F Superduty cab and chassis). Maybe it will be helpful even if not exact for your rig.
 

Attachments

Not sure if you figured out who the manufacturer of your box is but I attached a wiring diagram for my Emergency One ambulance of a similar vintage (1995 F Superduty cab and chassis). Maybe it will be helpful even if not exact for your rig.
Thanks! Nope still don't know the box. But this is the closest I have gotten to information at lease from the same era.
 
Well figured out the box (sort of). Found this sticker on the upper electrical cabinet. Problem is, vehicle is not a 1987 type 3 with a 460. So clearly this thing had at least this label swapped and probably the whole box. So even if I found service info, not sure how helpful it’d be.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Been a while since I have updated this but progress is slowly happening. After a lot of time going back and forth, I ultimately decided a full get and start from scratch was the route I wanted to go. But first I wanted to get this thing enjoyable to drive and mechanically sound. It had been running cold so made some changes there as well as to the audio

So far I have done:
  1. Registered it as a motorhome
  2. Painted as much of the undercarriage as I could access with rust proof paint. This thing came from AZ, but it's still 25 years old so there was some surface rust on the frame rails I wire wheeled off
  3. Changed out to Rotella T6 synthetic and installed fumoto drain valve
  4. Replaced Thermostat with 203* t stat. housing, and replaced temp sensor
  5. The alternator was wired incorrectly so put that back to stock
  6. Installed an alpine double din receiver with SXM and Carplay,
  7. Installed Polk door speakers
  8. Installed a trailer hitch
  9. Removed all interior cabinets and ceiling.
Up next:
  1. Continue to remove wiring and rewire all the legal required driving lights
  2. Box in the fuel filler neck
  3. remove the floor.
From there I still need to determine a floor plan. The option now is a width wise bed with dinette (similar to most van builds) or if I want to make a shower stall in one of the compartments. Once I'm decided on the layout, I can start to build cabinets and install the 300AH of lithium and 400W solar I have had sitting around for weeks.

Hopefully I can start to do more frequent updates with more details.
 

Sidewalk

New member
I replaced the accordion seal yesterday and got to work removing the stretcher brackets. Front one came off easy. The rear most one the knob unthreaded from the stud. Tried vice grips, bolt extractors, and a hammer impact all failed. Eventually cut the stud off. Then when trying to remove the in floor mount itself, broke two bolts.

Apparently these things have not been removed. In 25 years from the looks of it.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am having that problem with mine. I need to get a hack saw in there and start cutting I guess. I am a bit limited on budget and tools and was wondering if I was missing something when trying to pull it out.
 
I am having that problem with mine. I need to get a hack saw in there and start cutting I guess. I am a bit limited on budget and tools and was wondering if I was missing something when trying to pull it out.
It does have metal spring and mine also had some silicon sealant but once I got a hold of it, it came out relatively easily.
 
Top