1996 Ford Ambulance - AMP light on, and voltage/amperage meter going fubar

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Short answer... it sucks trying to get it out.

I later found the wiring and plumbing above the front edge can be moved. But it’s true the rear a/c lines are part of what’s in the way.

I somehow managed to shoehorn it in and out without removing more than the air cleaner... but it wasn’t easy.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have the alternator unbolted and disconnected but cannot seem to wedge it out. Is this a coolant hose? Thinking about disconnecting it to see if it makes more room to get the alternator out.
What does the hose connect to? A/C pump is on the other side. The condenser connections and air drier are on that side. I think the A/C lines are further left in the pic

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I have the alternator unbolted and disconnected but cannot seem to wedge it out. Is this a coolant hose? Thinking about disconnecting it to see if it makes more room to get the alternator out.
What does the hose connect to? A/C pump is on the other side. The condenser connections and air drier are on that side. I think the A/C lines are further left in the picture.

52E32744-CB0F-4B2A-B84C-D5BEEDE716C6.jpeg

A/C lines marked in yellow. I think the line you marked is likely water. Look twice, remove once.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I took the alternator to O'Reillys and had them test it. They said it was only putting out 12 volts instead of 14? Seems strange in that I was getting a 15.38 volt reading from my batteries with the motor running.

They carry an Ultima brand 215AMP rebuilt alternator for $240 after the core charge. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...4602207/1996/ford/econoline-super-duty?pos=5#

This seems really cheap compared to the Mitsubishi alternator. I found a rebuilt Mitsubishi on Amazon for $550. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J2AKAU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A34S59CVYBRR1Y&psc=1

Would the Ultima brand be OK or is it a cheap knockoff that is prone to failure?

My current alternator number is F5UU-10300-CA A008700091.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Followed your link. It appears to be a rebuilt Mitsubishi alternator. Which would be consistent with the core charge. $240 with a lifetime warranty would be worthwhile... if you actually need an alternator.

It makes no sense that they only got 12 v out of it... I’d have it retested at aN auto-electric shop. There’s no way you were getting 15+ if it was only putting out 12.

This appears to have been the source of my recent over voltage charging problem
6318FADD-D45F-43ED-8BF5-01315726E408.jpeg

A poor connection where the brass nut is made it so the output of the alternator wasn’t consistently getting back to the voltage regulator. It improved after cleaning up the connection, and after replacing the terminal end it appears to be gone. Next up will be replacing the terminal ends on the 2nd starting battery mounted to the frame rail... but I recently cleaned them up so they’ll have to do for now. I was getting up to 15.1-15.2 V rather than the peak of 14.7-14.8 it should’ve been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior