1996 FG 639 dual cab tidy up

canter tourer

Adventurer
I thought mine was the only one to leak oil like that.............

Isn't it rust prevention, pity mine didn't leak on the rusty areas:squint:... I have a couple of other leaks to do, starting with the rocker gasket, but the leaks from the front and rear of the engine may be more work, plus one from the transfer somewhere, until it's degreased I won't know exactly where they're coming from, so yes still more work to do.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Still slowly picking at it. This is the rust under the drivers seat, (look worse from underneath) and the drivers floor which I've already cut out. Went to the local wrecker and they quoted me $165 for a floor if I cut it out of their wreck, bit steep I reckon but what do you do.

Got held up a little bit as I had to put the drivers seat back in and go and pick up a hothouse frame, to good to miss out on, but whilst I was there collecting it I also scored a winch bar from an old range rover, which if it works out, I hope to modify to fit as a replacement for the monstrously heavy old one.

And lastly, had a good day starting on the frame to connect the ambo body to the canter. Got most of it tacked together, but still a bit to do as it needs to be mock fitted to the body to sort out the mounting tabs, which I ran out of time today, plus it's heavy.

Dave

Sadlad75

G'day, I've just bought one of these too, drove it back to QLD from Adelaide, so regarding the ride, I'm hearin' ya!. I'm finding this thread really helpful. I intend setting it up as my daily work truck, not a full service body (too heavy for car licence), likely to be an aluminium tray with tool boxes down passenger side on the tray to work out of and under body boxes filled with heavy hardware on drivers side for balance, leaving 2/3rds of tray for materials etc. But before I even get started, I've got a fair bit of work to do. I'm curious about your chain block cab tilting, does the cab reach a point where it overbalances? I've been told later models had some sort of hydraulic or gas rams to help tilt the cab. I note your photo's regarding the hidden bolts (thanks), but there appears to be two at the very rear of the cab underneath, will I need to undo these too? Other than your aftermarket air-con, do I need to disconnect anything else before tilting? Thanks in advance.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Hi and welcome, it's a great place for info on these beasts. I think I may have seen your one for sale, seemed a good price if it was indeed the one.

I haven't updated anything for a while as the missus broke her leg, so dad duties well and truly took over, which has put me behind the 8 ball for the planned trip, but I am an eternal optimist and reckon we will get away in it in one form or another.

I haven't tilted the cab any further than pictured, I assume there is some sort of stop that prevents it going too far??, maybe someone else may know...as I haven't had a chance to tilt it again.

Afaik there is no hydraulic rams etc on the later models. The 2 rear cab bolts need to be removed, mine had one come out easily, but the other was a dog, ended up lubing the be-jesus out of it and the whole bush came out, whatever works I say. The only other things to disconnect were, the air cleaner ram and the radiator overflow tube under the drivers passenger door, I think that was about it, pretty easy really.
You'll have to start a thread with pics so we can all see the progress.
Dave

canter tourer

Adventurer
This is the sub-frame tack welded prior to a mate doing the final welds with his mig, has been painted and looked pretty, but is now bolted up to the base of the ambo body ready for fitment.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Well today was a pretty big moment for the project, as so far, all my guestimation measurements were all a theory that the ambo body would actually fit and that I hadn't been wasting my time for the past few months.

Fortunately it went like clock work and almost looks like it was made for it, check the way the wheel lines up with the wheel arch, damn near perfect, gotta say I was relieved.

So the body was just a test fit and is now removed again so I can get stuck into fixing the remaining rust in the cab and getting the mechanical work done, whilst still working on the inside of the ambo body to make it vaguely habitable for my tribe of 5.

The rear of the chassis sticks out about a foot, I was going to chop it off, but instead think I will make up a swing away dual spare wheel carrier which should finish the back end off nicely

Now just 8 weeks to go until the trip, with bucket loads to do, but fingers crossed we'll get there one way or another.
Dave

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Looking good. Certainly couldn't have put those wheels in a better place. Yep spare wheel carrier on the back.

Keep at it, You will get there.
Dan.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Hey Dave,
Any updates, how was the trip?
Did you get this masterpiece finished?
Cheers
Syko

Still cracking on with the jobs, albeit a little slowly for my liking.
Finally got back to the wreckers to cut out the replacement floor-pan section for the drivers side and today hacked out the rusted area and trimmed the new section to suit, now to get the time to weld it in and finish off the interior repairs and get it back together, then off to the mechanics for some oil leaks to be addressed, then fit the body.
Slowly getting there, with only 6 1/2 weeks to departure date:Wow1:
Dave

canter tourer

Adventurer
Little update, got the floor in and welded up nicely, just waiting on the replacement section for the rear cab wall to complete the cab repairs, then gotta get to the wrecker for better door sills to finish of the interior

Yesterday I degreased the driveline in preparation for the mechanic next week to help find the oil leaks. I think I've found the main culprit, the sump appears to have been ?bogged? up at some point, as it appears to be delaminating and is leaking out the body of it, it looks porous, god knows what went on with it in the past!

Think I'm gonna need a new radiator too, as there is green on the outside which can't be good, ah well one more thing to do with only 5 weeks to go.
Dave

canter tourer

Adventurer
Front left hub stripped today, all pretty good bar some new wheel bearings and new swivel hub rubber boot needed, not sure how expensive that'll be yet, but can only find genuine.
The transfer oil leak is from the 4wd, lo range selector shafts on the rear of the transfer case, there is a seal on each but still waiting to here from fuso if they have them...

Swings and roundabouts, the water leak is from the waterpump, not the radiator so new one of them on the way.

Can anyone in Australia help with a sump, need one for 1996 fg639, 4d34 engine, I'm so far striking out with the wreckers around vic and qld as the 4wd sumps are like rocking horse poo, still waiting to hear back from a couple but not holding my breath, maybe I'll try WA next, but grateful for any leads on any of the above parts etc
Dave

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Dave

I had to buy a new sump for a FG84 of mine a couple of years ago. List price was around $1k plus gst. Managed to get a decent discount but still a psycho amount of coin. What's wrong with yours? Is it rusted out? I'll have a look at the bus workshop this arvo. Might be one there. Will get back to you if there is.

Regards John

canter tourer

Adventurer
Thanks John, nothing surprises me with OEM prices and I'm not brave enough to ask for their price on this rare item.
Haven't had any luck yet finding a sump, still waiting to hear from a QLD wrecker who thought he may have one, everyone else refers to them as rocking horse poo, so at the worst, may have to try and repair mine.

It's still on the truck, but would appear to be rusted around the base and sides, with evidence of a previous repair going wrong. This is it pictured after a thorough degrease and just sitting still, immediately started weeping out all over the place.
Good news though, managed to locate the swivel hub boots aftermarket, so a bit happier with that, but still waiting to hear from Fuso for the 2 seals that are on the rear of the transfer case for the hi/lo selector shafts, unless anyone else has a tip on where to get them. Man life was easier when buying dunnydore or foulcan parts:bike_rider:
Dave

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
Most bearing places eg CBC, SKF etc will do seals by size if you can measure them .
Who did you get the swivel boots though?

Is the 4WD sump differant to the 2WD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles