1996 Callen camper $2,500 (Escondido, California)

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Not mine- a Facebook marketplace item.

These are well=made camper shells. (I have a smaller one on my 6' half-ton.) Local manufacturer no longer in business, so considered "collectibles" in San Diego.

Will outlast most of the trucks that use them.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Yes. I've heard various rumors over the years re:why, but basically they are no longer in operation.
Testimony to their quality: hard to drive around San Diego and not see one on trucks of various vintages.

I have seen them offer custom orders, but they are not in regular production.
This is mine, purchased for Baja travel.

A previous fiberglass shell on another Ranger let in too much dust, and flexed/developed stress cracks under weight (kayaks, camping gear) on the roof.

The Callen's frame is steel, well sealed- never have dust issues.

There are bolts/attachments to install a roof rack but I haven't carried anything on top of mine- prefer to keep things inside/out of sight.
BajaMazdaTruck1.JPG

Wait....Callen went out of business?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yes. I've heard various rumors over the years re:why, but basically they are no longer in operation.
Testimony to their quality: hard to drive around San Diego and not see one on trucks of various vintages.

I have seen them offer custom orders, but they are not in regular production.
This is mine, purchased for Baja travel.

A previous fiberglass shell on another Ranger let in too much dust, and flexed/developed stress cracks under weight (kayaks, camping gear) on the roof.

The Callen's frame is steel, well sealed- never have dust issues.

There are bolts/attachments to install a roof rack but I haven't carried anything on top of mine- prefer to keep things inside/out of sight. View attachment 616244
I'm not terribly surprised. I've got one on my F350, up here in Alaska. When I lived down in the San Diego area I tried to have some work done on the wiring and a few other things on the camper, but I had a heckuva time getting anything sorted. This was some years ago, but even then the son was more or less visibly destroying the business his father built.

Biggest issue I've had with mine is the wiring failed. The vinyl tubing they used as grommets through the steel frame pulled out, wires abraded on the steel....and stuff shorted out. I haven't had the energy to rip out the cabinets and paneling in it and rewire it correctly, like it should have been from the start.

Maybe someone will resurrect the company, but I doubt it. It's a shame...definitely part of the SoCal off road history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier