1996 4X4 Ford F350 Powerstroke ambulance fully converted. Low miles

jagarcia89

UPDATE: SOLD 10/11/2021
UPDATE: MY MOVE IS COMPLETE AND THE RIG IS NOW IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WITH 50K MILES ON THE ODOMETER

Going through a move and will not have the shop or land space I had at the old house, so I am putting the feelers out there to sell the beast. This beautiful old body style ford has everything you'd want including 4x4, 7.3L, titled as a motorhome, and a walk through from cab to box (rare for these builds). I built this as a go-anywhere, self contained camper to use as home base for mountain bike outings.

I bought this 1996 F-350 powerstroke with 44,000 original miles down in Phoenix over Labor Day weekend in 2020. I drove it up to Michigan and pulled it into my shop and did a complete tear down, reinsulation, rewiring, and build. It did not leave the property during the winter so never saw Michigan salted roads. That being said this 25yo vehicle did have some minor surface rust on the frame when I got it so the first thing I did was wire wheel every inch I could reach and painted the frame with rustoleum.

Truck now has 47,000 original miles and runs great. The truck is still in Michigan but will be going to Southern California in the next few weeks. I am willing to sell in either location.

Here's all the details I can think of, though I am sure I am missing some stuff.

Factory 4x4 w/ 4:10 gearing limited slip. 1996 F350 Type 1. 7.3L powerstroke 47,000 actual miles. Does not leak a single drop of any fluids

Truck:

-Installed alpine 7” touch screen radio with carplay, satellite radio, and back up camera

-Polk audio speakers

-Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners

-Class 5 hitch installed

-4 new rear tires (BFG Ko2)

-Power windows, locks, and cruise control

-Window tint

-Fresh oil change with T6 synthetic. Installed a fumoto drain valve for easy oil changes

-Fresh fuel filter

-Husky liner floor mats

-new 203 degree dieselsite thermostat

-New vacuum pump

Camper Build:

-Complete gut down to the studs. All floor holes sealed. Any panels with larger holes or multiple holes were replaces with new aluminum sheet.

-Interior floor is sealed with a silicon membrane covering the entire floor

-Insulated floor with ½” sealed polyiso foam board. Walls are mostly 2” sealed polyiso, but 1” used where clearance for wiring needed. Doors insulated with thinsulate

-Entry step has been extended with a sink/shower pan installed for inside showers and additional standing room

-roof is painted with solar reflective silicon paint

-RV queen sized bed on aluminum framed platform. Does pivot in the middle to fold into couch, but I do not have a mechanism to lift and hold it. So for couch mode, I currently just prop it on a 2x4

-Bed has a slide out dinette table underneath

-completely open under bed so you can actually use the rear view mirror with tons of storage space or finish you can to your desire with cabinets or other stuff.

-storage bench

-Truckfridge TF130 DC fridge

-21 Gallon water system with interior sink, and exterior sprayer/shower hook up. Can be hooked up to campsite water as well and a portable hot water heater. Water system consists of 7 gallon containers so they can easily be filled at a grocery store or additional water can be carried

-400 watts of solar mounted to 8020 roof rack

-300AH of lithium batteries. Renogy DCC50s MPPT charge controller with built in Dc to DC.

-Kisae Pure sine 2000w inverter charger

-Maxxfan deluxe with thermostat/remote

-Dimmable touch LED’s mounted to a 100% cedar ceiling

-Replaced fixed side window with one that opens with screens.

-All 3 existing opening door windows have screens and blinds

-2 exterior lights LED lights on each exterior wall, all individually controllable via remote

-Exterior 110V outlet replaced with USB and 12V vdc outlets controllable via inside switch

-peel and stick subway tile (this is peeling a bit on some of the corners, I’d recommend replacement with a wall covering of your choice)

-several interior outlets

-Interior remote LED strip

-Bluetooth stereo with 4 exterior speakers. Each side can be switched on/off independently.

-I have a new fenderette to replace the passenger side that's a little bent up

Looking for $45,000 but willing to deal depending on details of the transaction. More photos to follow

Attachments

• IMG_9909.jpg
    IMG_9909.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 353
Last edited:

jagarcia89

Cedar ceiling. Screens and blinds on rear windows
65ec4661c3038369610013565d60ff11.jpg

Insulated blinds on bunk window. Upper wall area can be finished with a shelf, tv, etc...
830bbae596bb27826ae99713c56ce95f.jpg

f947751d77a8ef375e9a787a4ad2c257.jpg

Storage and shelving is very practical designed around removable totes. Area above door is available for finishing for next owner. I use it to hang from to stretch my back. I do have the original padded cover for it. 130 liter fridge. Light weight coat rack on the left (we use for hats), heavy duty folding coat hooks on left. Pass through to cab has an insulated black out blind. You can see the 7" media unit in the dash through the pass through. All wiring is easily accessible behind the removable raceway crown molding in case a repair or addition is needed
9300e55c6139e61febdcf4753a98ed4c.jpg

Remote for fan as well as electrical system control panel. Smart battery monitor on access panel shows power flow and state of charge and is hooked to batteries with ethernet wires. Not just measuring voltage- it is actually a display for the onboard BMS. remote control for the inverter/charger also on the door along with dual usb ports with touch on/off, toggle switch controls the exterior 12V and USB outlets for powering items outside. Removable nightstand counter exposes hidden storage and can be used as a cutting board or work surface. behind access door is the fuse panel
9d1d7a777804d31bf49018c91266495d.jpg

Hidden storage and easy access to the counter 110VAC outlets, 12v outlets, usb outlets, and switch for water pump
a33a0f1fdc79b58fbf9cff354050f07a.jpg

upper shelf designed around the 4 collapsible storage cubes. In the middle there is another spall surface with usb outlets for phone charging as well as controls for the exterior blue tooth stereo system
90114af7cdaf66c6407faecd6de3ab09.jpg

a460abac58b480543da5655ca19d8f03.jpg

Roof is painted with a solar reflective silicon paint. Some has since been rubbed off by tree branched on the leading corners but can easily be touched up. Spare ire is roof mounted in basket above cab and has room on either side for firewoof or anything else
268e9a3cf4ef1a908f02791776ad6281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jagarcia89

59dc580eb5861f4b44fb85c68b30def1.jpg

ae76d088ba6af23b81594e0e586b2789.jpg

f68a98bf5837be719d8cc4f9e1a7fb27.jpg

d597f2a960fcd6963180a841e603cb08.jpg

f77b9eeea61b48bf505ff4b5feeb6807.jpg

d6ba2836623f4f4db2a163432ecfbfdd.jpg

9a601f02f7fa240f34755c7401e35794.jpg

8745d9f57b4bb8312c6cb296bbed6faa.jpg

b14d0ce604060e0853081a80ed6acdc3.jpg

Some of these photos were taken before the storage bench and dinette. Head lights upgraded to LEDs.

motovan_mn

Love that generation of F-series! Doesn't fit our needs (not enough seating) but looks like a ************ rig. Might wanna make it more clear that it's a 4x4, as I think that's a pretty big selling point!

jagarcia89

Love that generation of F-series! Doesn't fit our needs (not enough seating) but looks like a ************ rig. Might wanna make it more clear that it's a 4x4, as I think that's a pretty big selling point!

Thanks! Wow. I am not sure how I missed that. I updated it. Yes it's 4x4. 4:10 w/ limited slip.

Another "Selling point" I probably should mention is that it has a clean and clear title and is titled as a motorhome. So no having to deal with the infamous "DMV won't let me register it/insurance wont cover it" ambulance issues.

ODIE1026

Do you know if you'd have a problem reg. In california since it's a one ton? I know alot of people had to get rid of there work trucks 7.3. Think it was because 1ton and above. Thanks nice set up

jagarcia89

What is the interior height?

Interior height is about 5’6. But in the extended entryway/shower pan it’s about 6’4. The only place beyond the entryway you’d ever be standing is at the sink and I just bend over. Honestly wouldn’t want it any taller (and I had a high roof van before this) because it already is a tight fit on any trail with trees of any kind.

jagarcia89

Do you know if you'd have a problem reg. In california since it's a one ton? I know alot of people had to get rid of there work trucks 7.3. Think it was because 1ton and above. Thanks nice set up

Can’t say for sure yet since I’m not yet out there. However, my understanding of the California law is that motorhome/rvs are exempt. So as long as they take the Michigan title as an rv and do the same for CA should be a non issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke