1995 Montero SR Build

Expedition Leader
I have an insulated shop with a small propane heater that you're welcome to use if you want, but I'm a little ways from you (50+ miles?).

Warmed up enough today tofinish working on Mike's truck and thought I'd dive into mine....

I hate when I dive in.... and find stuff...........

Forward cylinder on drivers side spark plug:

IMG_3234.jpg

All of them on driver's side.
IMG_3237.jpg

:mad:

Expedition Leader
Someone got more than their money's worth out of that set of spark plugs! But that one looks oil-fouled for sure. Is the truck using any oil?

Someone got more than their money's worth out of that set of spark plugs! But that one looks oil-fouled for sure. Is the truck using any oil?

I haven't driven it long enough to determine quantity of oil its burning, but previous owner says it has been burning 1qt between oil changes. Still in range on dip stick.

I havent gotten to passenger side yet because of all the junk in the way (the mistubishi isn't the easiest to work on.)

poriggity

Explorer
Yeah I was going to say, that's the first time I've seen that! Hope it's fixable without spending too much $$...
Scott

Wow...:Wow1:

Never seen much less experienced that before.

Bones came over this evening to give it a look. His pre-diagnosis is that the oil on the ends of the plugs is being caused by the valve stem seals. The oil on the threads is due to the valve cover gasket or the spark plug tube o-rings.

Timing belt and all the included part changes as well as the valve stem seals need to be replaced, so he is thinking he'll help me pull the motor and fix all the issues in one go. :Wow1::sombrero:

zukrider

Explorer
i thought it was so. first look at all the oil seemed like tube seals. honda passport/isuzu rodeos have similar issues. so then for all that work, pulling the engine is easier?

i cant wait til i get mine!

Justice R

Adventurer
Oil

I agree, It likes you need to pull the valve cover on that side and replace the seals on the bottom of the spark plug tubes.

How did the plugs on the other side look?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne