1995 Ford E350 - BooBooBox

yager

1995 Ford E350 - BooBooBox

20180520_090302.jpg

Yes, its an Ambulance, (alway asked that..... )
7.3L Auto/ 295k /
Everything has been replace at one time or another.
Newer motor ~50k
Newer Trans. ~Don't know maybe ~75k
owed this one about 3 years,
I scaled it as it sits, full tank, duals, me - 9750#
Type 3 Mini-mod, (short width, not so tall)
In case your wondering, I am 5'9" and i can NOT stand in the back.
But if i take my shoes off and clock my head a little bit, I can, then. (about 5'7" )
I had a STROKE about 5 years ago, it was bad.
I had a learn to talk again, learn to use my right side again. all the bad stuff....
My wife thought it would be good to have a project to work on, my 1/2 finished jeep, etc
basically to pull my other vehicle to where it has to go...
--------
When i got the van i had to replace everything,
Fuel lines, oil lines basically everything that was under the hood...
Had a replace the IDM (surprise, it had water in it)
i felt that the rear brakes need an improvement , so the got rear end from Dana 70, which has disks. (2002 Ford/ 'Bus' )
u-joints, shocks etc..
Replaced the steering pump with a newer Saginaw III (much better )
Probably the best thing i put in was the celling fan, that was had in just decided that i needed that...
------
When I got the van it was a Single Rear Wheel, and it was 'ok' as it was. I mean i drove it to NY (upstate) and all around, and towed with it.
But I currently use it for towing, last year i dedicated to make it a DRW (Dual Rear Wheel), I cut 1.5" up into the alum. then installed the flairs, off of a TJ (Jeep) rear.
This was needed, a DRW much happier.... Less to worry about tires, weight etc...
The rear i guess well call it the 'sofa', it do not have a lid, was gone when i got it.
I made some up out of thin gueage 1" x 1" tubing, and stuff some wood in the middle of it.
I did not like the way the the original was one single piece, so i made it with two.

more to come....

Attachments

Last edited:

yager

200 watts, solar panel on the roof, MTTP controller, does what i need...
I redid the front wall a little bit, The wife needed i bathroom,
granted she only come about 30% of the time, but....... Something about pee off the front steps, it just does not happen.....
The microwave goes up on top, it a $40 dollar job, from Walmart, work fine :)
I still walfully on IF/Should i fit a A/C somewhere, for thoes times when it becomes unbearable (105 deg)
The outdoor 'table', we eat / cook outside probable about 90% of the time,
And the triagle shaped on the floor, it amazing what a 10 minute job will do.
10 Gallon tank, to go with my small sink, 12v pump from amazon (cheap) , work fine, does the dish, wash hands, etc..
The past year i have added an outdoor shower, just the fausets and the hoses, only cold, wash my hair and filthy arms, and face.
The doors came off of a 2003 van, $50 pair (craiglist), manual windows, i tried the 2003 mirrors,
small ones, and they were not suited, $100 ebay new for pair of the big mirror, yup, perfect...
I bought a small step and then trim about 2" from the bottom, $20
This was after i bought a 'child' plastic, fold up, they are 'ok' but, goto Harbor Fright and pay $20, done...

Any spelling mistakes, my fault...
These are NOT in order of when / chronological they had happen, just as i remember them...

Attachments

Last edited:

yager

I'm going to put a LEAF SPRING axle in the front.
Yes, this is a multi-year project,
It involves various parts, that Ive broken down in to small project.
like moving the power steering cooler up to the front, on 96-96 (maybe 97) they put it down on the cross member,
in later model they put it up in front of the radiator. i did this.
Also the rear end of the van needs a 'boost' from sagging, 300k does that, i guess...
Each of this can be done separate from the front axle.
Spring are: 'X code; Excursion/F250 Leafs pn# 43-818 (F250)
This means there are for snow plow rating (extra 600# per side)
Are I wanted to get leafs the are thinner then most, due to thickness, these have 2 heavy springs,
Anyways, I finish up a Dana 60 hp, i had to regear it to 4.10, and put on DRW 'Budd' type hubs.
I have a new set of leafs for a Ford Expedition (i got super duper, heavy duty, special sauce, a friend had one with a 7.3l )
Just to establish a level playing field, i put the leaf under the front tire just to see how much it sagged, it come out with +1", awesome
I am not placing a lift on this to 'keep up' with you guys, 8"+ cool, but I'm shooting for like 3",
I'm will massage the steel, just a little bit, and trim down the bump stops, a little
it is to allow to navigate fields and dirt roads (pulling a trailer) into a camp ground,
plus to have a lower gear is better than not have one.
I wish all the camp grounds were paved like a national forest camp sites.

Attachments

Last edited:

yager

Been a hot yet, rainier week, yet i still got out and did a little bit.
I pulled the bumper out about 3", and welded it temporary, on,
not sure about that, still debating, on the 3" or not...
Put the front end together, the grill etc...
So it is road worthily,
Not sure if i metind it, but i put a set of spring in the back, i hope they will setting down as i drive the BooBooBox
i figured the rear ain't to bad, it bumped it up ~3" and i was sagging at least an 1". So. roughly about 2" of gain,
For those who are interested, the are 10 leafs set, There are "Super, Heavy Duty", no lie, :)
They will work nice as i tow with it.
Just in the leaf setup they are ~1.5" higher then the old 9 pack.
That only took me a week to loft them in there.
Those thing are heavy, over a 120# each, i had to use my handy dandy cart to maneuver them.
Anyway....

yager

Leaf Spring are on.
Leaf center pin needs to be larger (7/16x2")
I did some mods to the upper u-bolt placer thing.
Put the shackle in...
4" off the ~spring to the bump stop bushing
Sliced/Dice the frame work,
(i forget) i increased from 9/16 to 5/8, the ubolt size,
the leafs spring are 5/8 front/back, already...
Had to cut the back area (crossmember) a bit, cause mine is a 97" front (axle) .
yes im fudge some of the pics, you get the idea....
[if any one want/need picuters of a specic area i have tons of different pics. ]

Attachments

Last edited:

yager

i guess i omitted a few picture of the inside, nothing fancy...
Made a new bed area, underneath some storage.
Yes i painted it, grey..... :) :flipoff2:

Attachments

bcaine

Great project. When you get there I'm interestedin your solution to the ps cooler. I have the same issue to tackle after cutting my crossmember.

yager

I did the swap on the that pretty easy.
I quick trip to LKQ, to get a newer model (aluminum) off a 1999+ van for $20
Then i pulled the hoses the went down and grab my HF bit (~1') good on sheet metal,
to the front, found a spot were noting was in the way on ether sides, still drilling the 2 holes...
The hoses are 'covered' in electric plastic covering (darn i forgot the words for that) but, (Stroke)
i had a ton of it, from all the electical stuff i removed.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to ore of your build. I have a ‘97 also. Mine is a hair wider than a mini at 88”. It came with duallies and 7” wide flares to cover them. I also have 10 leaf packs because the replacement 9 leaf pack sat lower than the 18 year old stock pack with 2 broken leaves. To sit level it also needed a 1” block on the driver’s side (roughly 700 lbs heavier).

If money and time weren’t considerations I’d likely also do a 4x4 conversion. However, an 8.5’ by 21’ long 4x4 is pretty much useless in these parts and I’ve got a 40 that’ll just about climb a tree so LSD will do the job.

Hoping to swap in a 6.0 transmission cooler and then repurpose the 7.3 trans cooler to cool the P/S fluid. Not sure if I should keep both p/s coolers or just use the 7.3 trans cooler for the p/s.

First I need to find a 6.0 cooler for a reasonable price... the only one I’ve found locally was so expensive that even the parts guy couldn’t believe how expensive it was ($670 or something equally ridiculous).