1995 Big Red Burban

Picked up a 1995 Suburban 2500 this week from auction for a steal. 7.4 engine, 4l80 trans, 4wd, 4.10 gears, seating for up to 9 people. The previous owner wasn't too kind to the interior so I've spent the last few hours getting that as clean as possible. I'll post up some pics soon. Very open to advice on what to look for with this thing. I'm in Alaska right now and will be moving back to the lower 48 next May, and ideally, i'd like to drive this burban down through Canada. The plan is to get it running right in order to make that trip. I have another vehicle so maintenance on this is no issue. My plan is to change all the fluids, filters, and any gaskets that need replaced on the engine. It is leaking oil on the driver's side of the engine bay or did at one time. I'd like to keep it running and driving until its more feasible to 12v cummins swap it. Its just under 200k miles right now. I think it has a rough idle as well but not sure as its intermittent.

Upgrades and Maintenance:
Change fluids; oil, coolant, trans fluid, xfer case, both diffs, turn signal fluid :ROFLMAO:
Replace interior carpet with vinyl flooring
Replace head unit with one that works
Replace all 4 tires with 265/75/16 A/T's
Lots more cleaning of the interior
Replace oil, air, and fuel filters
Upgrade/replace plugs, wires, cap & rotor, etc.
Replace shocks, worn suspension parts, level front with rear.
Add dual battery setup
Add on-board air
Fix/repair/replace engine parts until it runs smooth/right.
More to come as ideas and suggestions arise.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

blacktop_one

Breaker of Things
Sounds like a great project! I recently bought an ex-fire department Excursion at auction and am building it up, so we're on the same track.

vargsmetal

I would up the tire size to 265/75R16 or 235/85R16. Both would've been factory options on the 2500.

Definitely go through the front end. Ball joints, tie rod ends, idler and pitman arm, and inspect the control arm and front diffential bushings. I like Mevotech TTX parts over Moog and AC Delco for those parts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would up the tire size to 265/75R16 or 235/85R16. Both would've been factory options on the 2500.

Definitely go through the front end. Ball joints, tie rod ends, idler and pitman arm, and inspect the control arm and front diffential bushings. I like Mevotech TTX parts over Moog and AC Delco for those parts.

I may go to the 265's. Looking at e rated tires. Looking through the carfax, the vehicle was regularly maintained up until about 2016 so I imagine the front suspension and steering parts will need some love. New shocks are on my list already anyway.

Anyone know of these came with a factory auto locker? G80 or whatever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vargsmetal

I may go to the 265's. Looking at e rated tires. Looking through the carfax, the vehicle was regularly maintained up until about 2016 so I imagine the front suspension and steering parts will need some love. New shocks are on my list already anyway.

Anyone know of these came with a factory auto locker? G80 or whatever?

The RPO code list in the glovebox will call out your options including G80 or not.

Started removing some of the interior bits today so I can replace that nasty old carpet. Didn't get pictures of everything but the rear cargo carpet and up to the back of the front seats is all pulled out. These things were built tough, I've been having a hard time removing some of panels and even the seats. Plan to pressure wash everything that's covered in gunk/oil/grease this weekend and see what I'm really working with under the hood and undercarriage.

Made a little more progress on the burb today. Finished pulling out the interior parts that need replaced or cleaned. Managed to get the cargo area vinyl flooring installed for good. Also discovered I have a decent sized rust hole in the driver's floor board. Will be looking into fixes for that next.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 45
Any progress?

I've made little bits of progress here and there. Replaced rear shocks, replaced the broken driver's door, interior is all back in. Most of the fluids have been changed, plugs, wires, various sensors. Still a lot of stuff to do but it's legally drivable now. I enjoy wrenching on it as everything is easy to access and repair or replace. Plus since it's a 3/4 ton, everything is big and durable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles