1994 Toyota Truck $5000 obo Albuquerque, NM

andy_b

It is time to sell my beloved 1994 Toyota Truck. Like the sale of many great cars, this one is prompted by an addition to our family. Don't get me wrong, I love my baby, but man, I love this truck, too. However, a compact extended cab truck has no space for a baby or their stuff.

I got this truck in 2010 from a good friend. Since then, I've been repairing, updating, and maintaining it with no plan on selling. Things changed, I guess.

Here is how it looked when I got it:
IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

Current mileage - 312,876 (this is an estimate as the truck has had larger tires and stock gearing since the mid-2000s)
$5000 obo
Location - Albuquerque, NM

Note - many photos show the truck with an AirTop - THIS IS NOT INCLUDED.

This truck is 26 years old and it not perfect. Its main problems are:
  • TrailGear alternator mount - this was to accommodate a larger GM-style alternator. It has broken a few times already and I don't have a good solution. It was recently replaced this March.
  • Battery drain, likely alternator diode
  • Dents - see pics
  • Holes in roof - initial attempt at mounting LED light bar was not successful. Note, these DO NOT LEAK.
  • Radiator leak at lower radiator hose union - tried replacing the hoses (always OE) without success. The loss is super slow.
  • Driver side window was broken into; replaced but not yet re-tinted
These shortcomings are annoying, but do not affect the reliability of the vehicle overall.

Obviously, there have been many modifications and maintenance done over the course of my ownership.
  • Hella H4 conversion
  • Addicted Offroad front bumper
  • Air conditioning (!)
  • Upgraded 3 row radiator
  • Upgraded PowerMaster alternator
  • Rebuilt 22RE performance motor (approx 57,000 miles)
    • Upgraded cams
    • Modest head work
    • New timing chain
  • New Exedy clutch installed w/ motor
  • New motor/transmission mounts
  • New fuel filter
  • All new hoses from the motor to other components
  • Killer B Racing shift and transfer case knobs
  • Hubs rebuilt yearly
  • Fluids replaced yearly
  • Reverse camera
  • RAM mount for iPad mini
  • OME HD lift
  • American Racing wheels
  • BFG KO2 ATs 33x10.5-16 x5 (approx 35,500 miles)
  • Standard cab camper shell
  • Thule roof rack on shell
  • ARB rear locker w/ pneumatic switches
  • 4.88 gears
    • Front Toyota OE 4.88s
    • Rear Nitro 4.88 by East Coast Gear Supply
  • All-Pro weld on sliders
  • TrailGear rear bumper
  • includes misc recovery gear, snow chains, low-key CO2 tank w/ kegerator regulator and 3 chuck manifold
Addicted Offroad front bumper and All-Pro sliders
IMG_1903.jpg

TrailGear rear bumper
IMG_E1905.jpg

Addicted Offroad front bumper
IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

Current mileage
IMG_1997.jpg

Holes in roof from light bar. Does not leak.
IMG_1924.jpg

Holes in roof from 3rd brake light. No leaks. Note, the discoloration is from the RTT.
IMG_1925.jpg

Attachments

• 88E3A7AA-C725-423F-9D1C-4B8A989F0F14.jpg
    88E3A7AA-C725-423F-9D1C-4B8A989F0F14.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

andy_b

Interior pics:
IMG_1912.jpg

Pneumatic rear ARB switch. Instant engagement and virtually fail-proof. Also, makes a cool "phssht" sound. The exhaust limb is routed into the engine bay so no gear oil smell in cab.
IMG_1913.jpg

Back up camera helps more than you'd think.
IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

Dogs not included but I couldn't resist
P1020856.jpg

Last edited:

andy_b

Rebuilt motor from 22RE Performance was put in at 254,960 miles (indicated, see above). The original motor blew a head gasket so it seemed like the right time to update it. I ended up getting a Stage 1 motor and added hand polishing of the heads, and upgraded to the high performance cam. It basically makes the truck safe to drive on the highway, lol.

In addition to the motor, the clutch was replaced, the alternator upgraded, the injectors were balanced by RC Engineering, and numerous other "good to do while you're there" kind of things were done which were more maintenance related instead of performance-enhancing.

For better or for worse, I did the motor swap. Pretty straight forward.

Before
IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

After
IMG_3851.jpg

Nice shiny 22RE Performance motor
IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

You can see the PowerMaster alternator here. Note, the A/C compressor is not installed here; it was added a few years later.
IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

Detail of intake port work. So smooth!
IMG_4012.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4011.jpg
    IMG_4011.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

andy_b

Even with the upgraded Stage 1 motor from 22RE Performance, the truck was still...a 22re. With the tent, 31s, and the New Mexico altitude, it struggled to get out of its own way.

Upgrading to 4.88s was amazing. The truck went from being super undergeared to just slightly overgeared. I think that it is right at the sweet spot - it doesn't rev too high to be annoying on long trips but gives it enough oomph to almost feel peppy.

I got a front differential from a similar year truck and a rebuilt rear from East Coast Gear Supply. They put in an ARB air locker along with new 4.88s, because that is super cool.

Paint pattern
IMG_9161.jpg

Honestly, of all of these upgrades and improvements, one of my favorites has to be the addition of air conditioning. Life changing!
IMG_4685.jpg

andy_b

Man what a cool rig and so cheap! How has this not sold yet?

From your mouth to God's ears, lol! ?

IMHO, this truck is perfect apart from the few blemishes I've tried to lay out. I'm trying to price it to be accessible and to get it out of the way.

a

baja1

Well you are definitely going to make someones year. I loved my 22re apart from the "getting out of its own way" issue! I wish I would of known you could solve that with re-gearing. Good luck!

andy_b

I’m intrested but have a few questions. Can you tell me more about the paint? It looks like it’s rough in a few spots.

Good question. Sorry I didn't mention this in the original post. The paint was rattlecanned on by me in 2015. I tried to be as careful as possible, but it's rattlecan, so...

At the same time, I also removed the interior and put sound deadener into the doors, floors, and walls of the truck. I did not do the roof. I also replaced the inner door seals during the paint job.

I also replaced all of the door locks, gas door lock, and ignition cylinder lock at this time because they were literally worn out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior