1994 Mercedes-Benz 814D/3700

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
That was very modest post for what is maybe one of the most famous overlanders in the world.

This truck is either:

A) John Speed's Mercedes, the construction of which is the essence of the book Travel Vans, or

B) Another truck which someone is selling using with pictures all taken from Travel Vans.

Option A seems most likely. And I want to buy this truck, since Travel Vans was, and is, THE single most important resource in designing all of my campers. It's pretty much the ideal size, shape and platform, to my mind. Sadly, though, I don't see how that'll work, since it's a 1994, which suggests that it'll be 2019 before the truck is 25 years old and can be permanently in the U.S.

Canadians . . . I commend this to your attention. ;)

Keyne

Adventurer
That was very modest post for what is maybe one of the most famous overlanders in the world.

This truck is either:

A) John Speed's Mercedes, the construction of which is the essence of the book Travel Vans, or

B) Another truck which someone is selling using with pictures all taken from Travel Vans.

Option A seems most likely. And I want to buy this truck, since Travel Vans was, and is, THE single most important resource in designing all of my campers. It's pretty much the ideal size, shape and platform, to my mind. Sadly, though, I don't see how that'll work, since it's a 1994, which suggests that it'll be 2019 before the truck is 25 years old and can be permanently in the U.S.

Canadians . . . I commend this to your attention. ;)

Awesome van, but totally bizarre.... Today I was just reading your post on a similar Mercedes project van for sale and you offered a copy of the book about this actual van! Lol. Wish I could buy it.... Too soon for me but would be perfect to start in US and head to Europe, etc. just a year too soon.

womble

Yes this is an awesome van!! which I purchased from JS in 2004! it is everything it is cracked up to be, I am very sad to be parting with it, you never know it may still be up for sale next year, who ever buys this rig is getting the bargain of the decade !!!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Depending on the state and their statutes, it may qualify as an RV title/registration- worth a shot?!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Depending on the state and their statutes, it may qualify as an RV title/registration- worth a shot?!
The principal issue is not with the state titling and registration, it's with the federal government, in the form of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection enforcing regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation. With rather few exceptions, most all of them temporary, a vehicle that was not approved for importation by the manufacturer cannot be imported until it is 25 years old. (In Canada, the time limit is 15 years.)

There can be subsequent issues (including addition regulations from the California Air Resources Board), but the first thing most DMVs will want to see before they issue the vehicle's first U.S.-state title document is the clearance from Customs and Border Protection. And even if the vehicle were to somehow manage to get licensed, if CBP finds a vehicle in the country that it did not clear, they can, and will, require it to be exported or destroyed. (And that's happened.)

There are exemptions for non-residents, tourists, military and diplomatic personnel and so on, and there are special procedures for getting a Canadian vehicle that is substantially similar to the U.S. version into the country. In general, though, when you see a cool foreign-registered European, Asian, Australian, etc. vehicle running around the U.S., it's visiting and will have to be out of the country within a year.

Which, since I would have liked to buy this particular truck, makes me sad. But the rules pretty much boil down to this: 25 years old or older = relatively easy; less than 25 years old = nearly impossible. :(

FWIW: The necessary information is all over the web, including here: http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
While I agree with Mike, I think the rules we all know and play by are focused on cars and light trucks. Medium duty trucks MAY have a different set of requirements for importation.

Joe917

Explorer
I just brought a '94 MB 917AF camper into Canada. STRESSFUL. This is a great vehicle (814D) and I would have jumped at it if not already committed. Unfortunately for you Americans this one is only eligible for Canadian import. This looks like a hell of a deal.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Let's find out more.

Since the truck is listed here in Reno, I'll contact the owner and go look at it. I am interested to see if it was registered in Nevada or if not what are the restrictions currently imposed on the vehicle. I have owned grey market vehicles and taken them thru the DOT/EPA certification process but I can only imagine what I would have to do within that realm.

Tad

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Since the truck is listed here in Reno, I'll contact the owner and go look at it.
Thanks very much, Tad. I appreciate it a lot, and I'm sure others will, too. This is one of the most famous overlanders ever, and it'll be great to have a report. :clapsmile

Racingdad

Adventurer
Just an FYI in discussion with several registered importers in California they say the vehicle will have to wait 6 more years. Now that was based strictly on verbal 3-5 minute discussions and no effort to research DOT records regarding medium duty trucks etc. I suspect though, the pros know the regs and if it were possible they would have been soliciting me for their assistance. As it were, they dropped the call quickly saying "too bad".

Tad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior