1994 Land Cruiser "barn find" 18k miles (no pics)

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Sorry folks, no pics. I know, I know. I was doing some work for a guy and he had a car under a car cover and I inquired what it was. It was a 94 Lexus LS400 with 60k miles and he hasn't driven it in a few years. Then he says, I've got a 94 Land Cruiser in the other garage with only 18k miles and I haven't driven it in at least 10 years. The guy ran into several things in his garage while on his electric wheelchair and I was worried he was going to hit the ladder I was on while fixing his garage door opener. A little later, he drove into his fence while driving his John Deere Gator, so it's probably a good thing he doesn't drive them. He expressed interest in getting the Land Cruiser running again. I might offer to help him get it running, again. I've revived a few vehicles that have sat for years, but besides the basics, is there anything special about that year Land Cruiser I should consider since it has been sitting for at least 10 years? I'm thinking it might have sat a lot longer than that, though.

brentbba

Explorer
Hopefully no gas in either. Fresh gas, check oil level and a charged battery and I'd bet they both start right up. It's a Toyota Landcruiser after all. :)

ekapel

There are a few variables to consider. Was it stored with some care and foresight, or was it "parked" after a collision. Was it kept in a climate controlled environment or a damp barn. The difference is important as many low mileage vehicles are subject to deterioration due to bad storage. The lack of miles mean nothing if it was not taken care of.

4xdog

Explorer
Fuel quality is probably the most important facor, as noted.

I’d squirt some motor oil — or Kroil, or PB Blaster, in each of the cylinders a few weeks ahead of trying to start it. Can’t hurt, and might help ensure a ring isn’t stuck.

I’d probably plan to redo all the brakes, possibly with new lines, before trying to drive a car idle for that long on public roads. That’s a long time sitting and brakes are a don’t play games area.

Any corrosion inhibitor in the cooling system is long exhausted. I’d flush and fill with Toyota red coolant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles