1994 International 4700 Conversion Begins

scooter421

Adventurer
If my schedule works out tomorrow, I may finally be taking the trans in for a swap out! At least I've got it loaded into the truck and it's ready to go. You gotta start somewhere!

Scooter...
c29394ca5d0e186ba9584833e42ab5bc.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Cool transmission. Well hopefully it cooler ️. Having the torque converter lockup should reduce the working temps.
That's what I'm hoping for. It's unsettling grinding up the hills with the transmission at 220 deg! Hopefully, this will help bring the temps down a bit or at least the average temp over a trip.

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
Well, my schedule did not work out to get the truck across town. So, I will have to try another day.....dang it.

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
Well, after all the fussing and effort about getting the MT643 to gain lock up in 4th I've backed up due to cost. I've settled on a rebuild with existing AT545 and an auxiliary cooler to save money. After going through the pros and cons, I could not justify the cost of putting in the MT643. It's a bit of a bummer but ultimately the pocket book won. With the addition of an auxiliary cooler the shop is telling me the heat issues will go away. So, if all works out well, I'll have some money to throw at the engine and gain a bit more HP.

Hopefully, it will be done by end of week and I can see how she handles a 110deg degree drive home here in AZ!

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
Me too Baloo!

It should run much cooler than it did previously. I should get the truck back sometime early this week. It's been really hot here lately. The drive home will tell me a lot. I'm optimistic it may get into 4th a little easier after the rebuild as well. It seemed to struggle a bit in the transition from 3rd to 4th. It was never really bad but seemed just a bit harder than the transition from 1, 2 and 3rd.

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
The bad:

I picked up the truck and I had some trouble with the condition of it when we arrived. Someone had bent the little light guards on the bumper pretty good. I'm very glad they did not hit the bumper. The interior carpet I recently installed was dirty, the steering wheel was filthy, the hood was not re-attached properly and the headlight bezels were installed on the wrong sides, the headlights are not aligned, my stereo somehow no longer works and the oil cooler installation is less than perfect. After some discussion we agreed on a reduction of the final bill.

The good:

The transmission shifts a bit smoother and gets into 4th a bit easier than before. With the addition of the oil cooler the transmission was running about 140 on the freeway and a took a bit of stop and go traffic to reach 180. This is excellent, I think I will have enough "free board" to climb the hills in AZ at 105 deg+ now. The motor seems a bit quieter, I can run up to the govenor now and keep it around 65-70 without too much trouble. Down shifts are nice and crisp as well. I also lost several hundred lbs by having the PTO driven generator removed.

All in all I'm happy with the change in the performance. I just wish people respected other peoples things. Especially, when you spend good money for service.

Scooter...

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Glad the drivability is better! Sorry, they should have taken better care of your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scooter421

Adventurer
Hi Baloo, yeah...it sure is frustrating when these types of things happen.

I suppose I got lucky though. At least the hood and bumper were not damaged along with the light guards. I've recently switched jobs and had zero time to do anything with the ambo since I picked it up. No camping, no tinkering, not a dang thing!

I almost made it up camping this weekend but if the northern country is anything like the valley, it's a muddy mess. One of these days I'll get back to it!

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
LOL OZ.....yeah. I'm pretty sure I would have had 150lbs of wet muddy dog had I ventured up north. The valley has been bad enough this weekend!

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
If the winds are in my favor.....I may finally be camping this weekend. One more good whack at it before the snow flies in the higher elevations of AZ!

It will be the first run up the mountain with the newly refurbished transmission. Minus several hundred lbs of extra weight in the form of the PTO driven generator and associated components as well. Like a first date, I'm excited and nervous all over again!

I managed to installed 2 new deep cycle batteries for my auxiliary power. Not that I will even run them hard but it's a good piece of mind knowing they're good.

Scooter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles