1994 Full Size Blazer project

gas4blood

Observer
As far as future plans, I am trying to decide if I should collect the parts for a HP Dana 44 solid axle swap and 14 bolt with 35’s, rear locker, and gears, or just do a 4” IFS lift with 4.56 gears ,a rear locker, and 33’s.

I definitely need to build a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier so that I can free up some space in the rear cargo area. I will also need a front winch bumper for my 8274.

I am a licensed amateur radio operator so my mobile unit will be getting mounted here shortly. More updates to follow!

DailyExpedition

arveetek

Adventurer

Sweet ride! Very, very clean for a 1994. I'd be afraid to take it out and get any pinstripes on that nice paint!!

I definitely need to build a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier so that I can free up some space in the rear cargo area.

Here's what I followed to build the tire carrier for my 2-door:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/home-built-rear-rack-project.95134/

Getting that spare out of the back sure frees up a ton of space!!

Here's mine right after initial build:

29263259970_64e098e827_b.jpg

29263260010_8165bef2b2_b.jpg

I built it 2 years ago. I have since fabricated a hi-lift jack mount for it.

Casey

buffy

As far as future plans, I am trying to decide if I should collect the parts for a HP Dana 44 solid axle swap and 14 bolt with 35’s, rear locker, and gears, or just do a 4” IFS lift with 4.56 gears ,a rear locker, and 33’s.

I definitely need to build a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier so that I can free up some space in the rear cargo area. I will also need a front winch bumper for my 8274.

I am a licensed amateur radio operator so my mobile unit will be getting mounted here shortly. More updates to follow!

I can answer that experience from experience. I've done the solid axle swap on this setup. It's not worth it for what you're talking about. Hell, unless you're running one tons and intend to destroy it, it's just a useless upgrade. Stick with the IFS. Upgrade the half shafts and steering linkages. Swap the rear axle to a 14 bolt semi float axle with a true trac locker. Run narrow 33" tires. Lift a bit if you must.

gas4blood

Observer

Sweet ride! Very, very clean for a 1994. I'd be afraid to take it out and get any pinstripes on that nice paint!!

Here's what I followed to build the tire carrier for my 2-door:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/home-built-rear-rack-project.95134/

Getting that spare out of the back sure frees up a ton of space!!

Here's mine right after initial build:
I built it 2 years ago. I have since fabricated a hi-lift jack mount for it.

Casey

Thank you much. That bumper looks great! That’s a really good idea. Thanks for the info.

gas4blood

Observer
I can answer that experience from experience. I've done the solid axle swap on this setup. It's not worth it for what you're talking about. Hell, unless you're running one tons and intend to destroy it, it's just a useless upgrade. Stick with the IFS. Upgrade the half shafts and steering linkages. Swap the rear axle to a 14 bolt semi float axle with a true trac locker. Run narrow 33" tires. Lift a bit if you must.

You’re the exact kind of guy that I need to chat with. I have this strange paranoia with the IFS that made me hesitant to keep it. The more I think about it, it should hold up just fine to what I want to do. I have no intentions of beating on this rig. Who sells upgraded half shafts?

Explorerinil

Observer

I had a full-size black blazer sport (1994), they are fun unique vehicles, my question is how did you find one in such nice condition?

Don’t waste your time on the ifs lift, not worth it, you only gain room for bigger tires, you still will have typical early gm ifs problems, and that rear 10 bolt has got to go.

gas4blood

Observer
I had a full-size black blazer sport (1994), they are fun unique vehicles, my question is how did you find one in such nice condition?

Don’t waste your time on the ifs lift, not worth it, you only gain room for bigger tires, you still will have typical early gm ifs problems, and that rear 10 bolt has got to go.

The kid that had it for sale didn’t have the best pictures or description in the ad. He was asking more than most people around here are willing to pay so it didn’t sell right away. Once I test drove it, I knew it had potential. Needing a good cleaning but it had really been babied by the original owner.

86454k30

You’re the exact kind of guy that I need to chat with. I have this strange paranoia with the IFS that made me hesitant to keep it. The more I think about it, it should hold up just fine to what I want to do. I have no intentions of beating on this rig. Who sells upgraded half shafts?
I would agree, put a good IFS kit on and new steering components. I solid axle swapped a 98 K3500...I wouldn't do it again unless it was a hardcore wheeler. It isn't worth the headache. Everyone says SAS...SAS but in reality if you have high expectations of driveability then leave the IFS.

gas4blood

Observer
I would agree, put a good IFS kit on and new steering components. I solid axle swapped a 98 K3500...I wouldn't do it again unless it was a hardcore wheeler. It isn't worth the headache. Everyone says SAS...SAS but in reality if you have high expectations of driveability then leave the IFS.

That’s where I am at right now. I drove the Blazer down some forest service roads this week that were heavily wash boarded. I remember driving those roads in my leaf sprung Wagoneer and hating life. Haha. I think a 2-3” lift kit with 33’s and the 6 lug 14 bolt will be perfect.

Explorerinil

Observer
That’s where I am at right now. I drove the Blazer down some forest service roads this week that were heavily wash boarded. I remember driving those roads in my leaf sprung Wagoneer and hating life. Haha. I think a 2-3” lift kit with 33’s and the 6 lug 14 bolt will be perfect.
I had tons of problems with my ifs blazer,cv shafts, ball joints, bad angles due to ( I’m sure they have come along way since then) lift and no articulation. I would want a nice 4 link Dana 60 on some coil overs and a rear 60 or 14 bolt, but that is over kill and costly.

gas4blood

Observer
I had tons of problems with my ifs blazer,cv shafts, ball joints, bad angles due to ( I’m sure they have come along way since then) lift and no articulation. I would want a nice 4 link Dana 60 on some coil overs and a rear 60 or 14 bolt, but that is over kill and costly.

I guess the way I look at it is that with the 2-3" kit I am considering, it keeps all of the geometry the same as stock. Again, I don't plan to take this thing on any crazy trails or rock crawling excursions. A 4 link Dana 60 would be awesome but like you said, probably overkill for what I plan to use this rig for.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, that's a gorgeous old "survivor!" Hard to believe it's almost a quarter of a century old.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother SAS'ing it either. It's too nice the way it is and I can't imagine you'd be doing much rock crawling with it. I came of age in the SAS era (my first 5 4x4s were all SAS) and IMO the value of SAS is really overrated. And as you pointed out, SAS is HORRIBLE on washboard roads.

A nice rear bumper with a swingout and maybe replace or upgrade the aging suspension components and then I'd rock it as-is. 2 door GMT-400 Blazers are not common and that's a nice one. I love the floor-shifted T-case, I didn't realize the Blazers had those.

gas4blood

Observer
Wow, that's a gorgeous old "survivor!" Hard to believe it's almost a quarter of a century old.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother SAS'ing it either. It's too nice the way it is and I can't imagine you'd be doing much rock crawling with it. I came of age in the SAS era (my first 5 4x4s were all SAS) and IMO the value of SAS is really overrated. And as you pointed out, SAS is HORRIBLE on washboard roads.

A nice rear bumper with a swingout and maybe replace or upgrade the aging suspension components and then I'd rock it as-is. 2 door GMT-400 Blazers are not common and that's a nice one. I love the floor-shifted T-case, I didn't realize the Blazers had those.

Thank you! I knew I had to buy it once I drove it.

All of my previous rigs, with the exception of a short lived Bronco II project, have been solid axle. While I love the simplicity and durability, I just don't see myself needing it on this rig.

This truck has been so well taken care of. The original owner had it up until 2016. I didnt realize just how uncommon it is to find them in this shape until after I had purchased it. Should be a great vehicle to make memories in with our family! My two year old son already gets so excited when he sees me pull into the driveway in it. Pretty sure he has claimed it as his.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles