1993 RRC Front Axle is clicking when turning

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
The front axle on my RRC is clicking when I turn. Is this a sign of a broken CV-Joint? It doesn't seem to bind when I turn or do anything else weird. The swivel ball are not leaking either and had the new grease installed at Land Rover when the recall was done back in the day.

I'm 95% sure its not the tires rubbing on anything.

Thanks

99Discovery

Adventurer
My ZJ Grand Cherokee did this. Then it started to pop semi-quietly (binding) on slow turns (like into a parking lot). Then a loud bangs before we finally caught it.

So you can wait until it makes MORE noise, but I wouldn't want it to fail on I15 (assuming you are on the Wasatch front). My ZJ had a blown boot, so it was rather easy to see once we knew what we were looking for.

Problem is, how is the hub design on the RRC? On the D2 it requires an unearthly amount of torque to get the hub back in. If the Classic requires a similar amount, I'd do the hub and wheel bearing at the same time just so I didn't have to source another 360 ft*lb torque wrench and breaker bar!

Just did a quick check assuming the classic is like the D1 appears to be around 61nm (whatever that is in "real" units ;) ). In that case, easy fix...like my ZJ, we had it in an out in under 30 minutes and that was my first axle ever.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Is there a difference between the RRC ABS CV axle the D1 ABS CV axle?

I think I might head out to the junkyard and get one out of a D1 if there isn't any difference. They only cost $25 out of the yard.

evilfij

Explorer
RRC LWB has the different shock mounts in front, maybe has 10 splines, and has wider discs and two input calipers.

Swap is possible, but you need to mix and match parts to get there.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Depends on if yours is 10 or 24 spline? 93 is a cross over year. D1's are 24. Maybe VIN # split can determine which one you have without tear down?

JackW

Explorer
CV joint replacing is easy if you catch it in time - don't wait for it to go from clicking to bang...

Axles are fully floating in Range Rover Classics, D-1's and Defenders so all you have to do is remove the calipers, the hubs and the stub axles and you can slide the front axle out. The only special tool you need is the hub nut socket (2-1/8").
If you wait until it goes bang you'll be disassembling the whole swivel ball do dig the broken chunks out - which I had to do in a field in central Virginia at the MAR about 11 years ago.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Mine is a 10 spline. just pulled it, I repacked it with grease, and threw it back together. The CV is still popping. So I need a new one. Anyone know where I can get one from?

10 spline CV with ABS.

Thanks

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Well, I went to the junkyard. I picked up a disco 24 spline diff and two axle shafts. I slapped them in my RRC and now all is fine, except the ABS. Apparently the tone rings a different between the early stuff and the later stuff.

I'll live with it for now until I can figure out a solution. Who needs abs on a RRC anyway. Sarcasm.

At least it doesn't sound like the front end is going to explode anymore.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
The ABS seems to have reset itself. The lights are not coming on anymore. I've probably put 200+ miles on it since the swap. everything seems fine now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online