1993 Fuso FG Buy or Dont Buy?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have never seen any manual vehicle that has synchro for reverse.
I have also never seen a Canter that has synchro for first gear, so good luck finding either... :rolleyes:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Lets tell a story.

In one of the trucks that I fitted the high speed transfer gears, the shaft out of the gearbox was butchered by previous owners. I ended up taking the gearbox apart to have the shaft spline reground. This is in a FG637, but to my knowledge the same gearbox is used in all the earlier range of Canters. Now out of the factory they are setup to be fitted with syncros in (first and reverse) that aren't fitted in there.You need to do reverse aswell to balance the shifting keys. The positions are there, all you need is syncro rings, springs, and shifting keys which I'm believing are the same ones as second/third. Now of course the previous owner could also have changed the internals of the gearbox.

This I will be finding out in the near future For my "Yes or No" Vehicle.

Dan.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I must admit to being a bit surprised by your little story Dan, as I thought that you could only have synchros on constant mesh gears.
Usually, reverse is a disengaged separate straight cut spur gear, that connects with other spur gears on the main and output shafts to reverse the direction of the output shaft.

After a bit of Googling it would seem that this is actually possible, but I don't know how they do it.
That said, I am pretty sure Fuso has never had this as an option in any model of manual Canter gearbox.

Ultimark

I had my memory jogged when I read about reverse having synchromesh or not, when I read this. I then went to the truck and looked up my owner's manual for my February 2020 build Isuzu 75-155 4x4 truck.

It has synchromesh in all gears, including reverse. Attached is a picture from my owner's manual. I think this is the first vehicle I have owned with this feature. I seem to remember driving the little Haflinger in the Australian army in the late sixties having synchromesh in every gear.

Mick.

Syncromesh_IMG_20211130_175148.jpg

canter tourer

Adventurer
I have read on one of the Facebook canter groups, that someone there has indeed fitted the synchros to 1st and reverse whilst rebuilding their gearbox and described it as an easy job to do.
Dave

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I must admit to being a bit surprised by your little story Dan, as I thought that you could only have synchros on constant mesh gears.
Usually, reverse is a disengaged separate straight cut spur gear, that connects with other spur gears on the main and output shafts to reverse the direction of the output shaft.

After a bit of Googling it would seem that this is actually possible, but I don't know how they do it.
That said, I am pretty sure Fuso has never had this as an option in any model of manual Canter gearbox.

I've been away for a the week.
Yes. reverse in these boxes are constant mesh, run through an idler gear set. First and reverse are on the same slider - dog teeth and possibly syncros either side. Why they ever made the position for them and never fitted them is their story.
When I have one apart I'll post up pics.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles