1993 Camel Trophy 200TDI

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
I think it is a legit Camel Trophy Truck. I heard that the legit trucks had roll down windows in the front and power windows in the rear. That way the occupants could escape if needed. Also they didn't come with A/C.

Nice find! Good luck getting it sorted out. Looks like she has been run hard and put up wet.

It has been confirmed on the Camel Trophy Owners Club Regiatration and awaiting heritage certificate. ;) to be honest, I couldn't get the rear windows to roll down. I remember someone saying they might control the lights on the outside of the rig?

Cool story and piece of history. Keep us updated on your plans for it.
Indeed I will.

Thanks for the pics. This is the one that popped up on craigslist huh?
Indeed. I know how fast things sell on Craigslist, so I jumped on it at like 6 AM.

I honestly believe this was Tom Collins personal truck sold years ago. I may be able to put you in touch with him to find out (let me know).
That is a sweet piece of history. Restoration is one of those 'ify' things, as it carries with it so much patina right now that on one hand, you'd love to see it restored, and on the other, you would like to see it in a Land Rover museum somewhere just as it is!

Great find and GREAT price you scored it for!
D
Let me know. I'd love to hear the story about it, but I heard he got hurt during the wreck? A lot of people said they would get me in contact, but no one has come through... :/ I just want to fit a windscreen in it, because it is busted. There is a polycarbonate sheet upfront that the owner before me did, but wasn't a good Polycarb and sun faded. I just want to fit a good polycarbonate, since it is a first Gen Disco, the glass is bigger than the disco's we have in the states....so I have to special order the glass, and straighten the frame....for now, I'm already getting ready to fit Lexan MR10 sheet up front, so I can see.

This is an awesome truck. I happened to stumble upon it while walking through Telluride last weekend and had to check it out. His RRC is beautiful as well. Best of luck on this project!
Lol, not a big town....I have people snooping around all the time.... A couple of offers to buy it outright....trying to snag it from me, thinking I was unaware of what I had....I just laughed........I've been offered 20k+, from a couple of folks on the east coast....who want to let the other possible buyers know, they will out bid the other..... I ask myself quite often, What have I stumbled upon.....? I'm gonna drive it some more before I even think of selling it...

wow that may be the toughest 17k miles ever! What an awesome piece of history! (at least automotive history) Congrats!
. Yah, indeed....starts right up and drives like no other ;) definitely not smog legal ;)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I think it is a legit Camel Trophy Truck. I heard that the legit trucks had roll down windows in the front and power windows in the rear. That way the occupants could escape if needed. Also they didn't come with A/C.

I agree, been looking at all the photos and I'm convinced it is the genuine article.

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Order the proper windshield. Call Rovers North I'm sure they can source it for you.
They can.
600$ plus tax plus 250$ shipping....then...getting the truck down to a frame shop...600$ tow....then another 1200$+ for frame straightening/ glass matching....Then towing it back...another 600....I have some Money, but definitely not a ton. I'm already cutting the mr10 margard poly....will be installed tomorrow...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
They can.
600$ plus tax plus 250$ shipping....then...getting the truck down to a frame shop...600$ tow....then another 1200$+ for frame straightening/ glass matching....Then towing it back...another 600....I have some Money, but definitely not a ton. I'm already cutting the mr10 margard poly....will be installed tomorrow...

Already thinking like a true CT owner- think middle of the jungle, no 'shop' for a thousand miles, just trying to be semi watertight. Well done- true CT spirit!!

Thanks for the 'plug' David, can't wait to see her again with the new heart!!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
What's the history of how it got to the U.S.? Did Tom Collins import this truck here himself? How can you register a 1993 Disco here in the US, or is it an off-road only thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles