1993 Camel Trophy 200TDI

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Nice find. So lucky you can have an off road only vehicle in the states to allow you to get out there and use it.

So how does it drive, have you had to do much mechanically to get it working etc(other than the windscreen), what future plans?

How many cool CT stories did you hear from Tom?
. It drives like a dream. Had to fix the caliper which was broken clear off. next is some bushings for the shocks, etc. On One part I had to kick it into low range, but other than that made it up the hill with haste. He told me the history behind it and what that thing went through...he is happy to see it being used!

Awesome! Back off the road again! Honestly I like the character scars and would leave it pretty much as is.
indeed. It is pretty much water tight now and I can see out the window. So I'm not complaining.

Is that picture current or 20 years old??
Well done!!
. The terratrip doubles as a flux capacitor !

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Also, pic of truck after windshield creation!
13417931524_f820673684_z.jpg

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Could do without the horrid song in the background.. we get it...camel trophy...sabah malaysia...93...

Pasatiempo

Honestly, the song has been growing on me.

Looking forward to seeing some Michelin xzl's (assuming a safe set of xcl's can't be found) on there.

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Honestly, the song has been growing on me.

Looking forward to seeing some Michelin xzl's (assuming a safe set of xcl's can't be found) on there.

The spares have 2 xcl's on them, still holding air. ;) the tires on it have been working great! I might change them if they start going flat, but I think the tires will outlive me owning the truck, unless I screw up royally....lol

Disco2Guy

Observer
Story from Michael Hussey

Hi everyone. I've been in contact with Michael Hussey recently, and sent him the link to this thread. Here is what he had to say.

Brenton,

Thanks for the update on the Disco. It certainly is the vehicle that Tim and I drove in Sabah '93 - I remember every nut and bolt. We brought it out of the jungle with nary a scratch on the paint. When it came back to the states it was being taken from car show to car show when, as I recall, someone - NOT Tom Collins!!- fell asleep at the wheel and rolled it into a Bridge. Webb bought it, brought it back to useable condition, as only Webb can, and used it on his ranch in CO. That was the last I knew of it. I have the original CT Plaque from the roof rack as a souvenir after the roll over.

Feel free to post tis on the expeditionportal forum - that vehicle DESERVES the proper story!

Cheers,

Michael Hussey
CT '93

EIGHTLUG

Observer
What an amazing piece of history. If vehicles could talk, this one would have some amazing stories to tell. Awesome find and definitely a keeper.

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
Michael Hussey is a cool guy. Been doing a bit of wheeling with him in VT. Drives his old IIA like he .....earned it. Tons of great stories.

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Yeah, that matches up with the story I got from Tom Collins(very nice and informative, as well). Tom paid someone to transport it and it was damaged soon after, on the way to a New York auto show. ;)

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Tom Collins email
The car you have was the car that Tim Hensley and Michael Hussey drove in
the 1993 Camel Trophy Sabah Malaysia. They were the only US team to win
the Camel Trophy. The car was being driven from Grand Junction, Colorado
to the New York Auto Show by a hired driver, who fell asleep near
Indianapolis, IN while driving. Thus the bent roof structure and scraped
up body. The car was brought back to Colorado and repaired enough to use
as an off road training vehicle for several years. After the demise of
the Trophy Webb Arnold took possession of the vehicle and used it to plow
snow on his ranch roads near Cotopaxi, CO. It was then used by Webb's
brother on the muddy roads near DeBeque, CO. There is no title and no way of getting one from Land Rover. The paper
work is long gone. Camel Cars are not supposed to be on the highway in
the US. Have fun and be safe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz