1993 Camel Trophy 200TDI

LR Max

Local Oaf
I remember seeing a LHD camel trophy D1 at LR Greenville in like, 05 or 06. That might be it. If the dealer owns it, at least its in good hands. But as I've seen lately, dealers turns such vehicles into lawn ornaments.

I think it was legit. Had a TDI, no AC, the proper computer thingie, and crank windows for the front doors. Also, it looked USED.

Howski

I remember seeing a LHD camel trophy D1 at LR Greenville in like, 05 or 06. That might be it. If the dealer owns it, at least its in good hands. But as I've seen lately, dealers turns such vehicles into lawn ornaments.

I think it was legit. Had a TDI, no AC, the proper computer thingie, and crank windows for the front doors. Also, it looked USED.

It and their Trek D2 go back and forth between Greenville & Asheville. I’ll take a closer look next time it’s over this way. I’ve seen the Trek on the road a time or two so I’ve got faith they keep them running and moving regularly

DiscoDavis

Explorer

Likely a different one. The one in this thread was Webb Arnold's car that Land Rover North America gave to him in recognition of his work for Camel Trophy, he used it as a farm car for a while and then through some shady business it was essentially stolen from him.

FYI: https://brenton-corns.squarespace.com/camel-trophy/2014/2/20/webb-arnold-and-the-1993-usa-ct-truck

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
So who has Webb Arnold's car now?

Previously Webb Arnold's vehicle.*

Legally, I can't tell yah.

Likely a different one. The one in this thread was Webb Arnold's car that Land Rover North America gave to him in recognition of his work for Camel Trophy, he used it as a farm car for a while and then through some shady business it was essentially stolen from him.

FYI: https://brenton-corns.squarespace.com/camel-trophy/2014/2/20/webb-arnold-and-the-1993-usa-ct-truck
I agree it is more than likely a different one. And that some shady stuff went down unbeknownst to me BEFORE I bought it. Also, this link is full of biased speculation. I went to court over it and they threw this "forgery" claim out.

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I'm still confused as to how the (a) mud bogging friend of (b) the brother of the (c) actual owner could sell it in the first place, and for that sale to stand up in court.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I'm still confused as to how the (a) mud bogging friend of (b) the brother of the (c) actual owner could sell it in the first place, and for that sale to stand up in court.

If I had to hazard a guess it would be something related to the legal definition of "abandoned vehicle" or something to that effect. That and alleged forgery of the bill of sale/perjury etc. Just passing info along I've heard. I'll be clear here that I do not believe Brent is in the right here, whatever the court's decision was. He lawyered up and played it hard, while Webb represented himself.

Anyone feel free to post court transcripts to contradict the above information, from what I understand the court was told the car was "nothing more than a dime-a-dozen discovery", which is different from the forum posts he made at the time along the lines of: OMG a real (and winning year) diesel camel trophy discovery!. I make no comment on the veracity of of these allegations, but I believe the folks that related them to me. Anyone can google Brent's post history on the various other forums.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I've seen a lot of c-list ads in Colorado for untitled vehicles. In other states I've lived buying an untitled vehicles meant you had yourself a lawn ornament or a pile of parts. Reason being getting a title was difficult to impossible once the chain of title was broken.

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!

Because the brother tried to sell it out from underneath Webb at one point and admitted it to a sheriff, who was originally investigating the "stolen vehicle" report. The sheriff dropped his case right after he admitted this. The vehicle was then left on the mud bogging friends place for well over a year after they tried to sell it.

The stolen vehicle report was posted AFTER I called webb to see if he had any of the missing parts. Because I am not a thief. If Webb had reacted nicer, I would have sold it to him, but he wanted me to take the loss(money wise) because he probably thought I stole it, so I fought for it and won.

Last edited:

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
I've seen a lot of c-list ads in Colorado for untitled vehicles. In other states I've lived buying an untitled vehicles meant you had yourself a lawn ornament or a pile of parts. Reason being getting a title was difficult to impossible once the chain of title was broken.
It was sold as farm equipment and offroad use only, basically. The area I had it stored allowed for registered offroad vehicles to be driven in certain areas, so I had no issues.

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Thanks for the details.

Any time. :]

I would also like to point out that if I didn't get there when I did, the guy "second in line" was gonna pull the motor and crush it...Yeah, CRUSH IT! Some can view me as a bad guy... but I saved a piece of camel trophy history from being crushed or continuing to rot in the desert.

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
If I had to hazard a guess it would be something related to the legal definition of "abandoned vehicle" or something to that effect. That and alleged forgery of the bill of sale/perjury etc. Just passing info along I've heard. I'll be clear here that I do not believe Brent is in the right here, whatever the court's decision was. He lawyered up and played it hard, while Webb represented himself.

Anyone feel free to post court transcripts to contradict the above information, from what I understand the court was told the car was "nothing more than a dime-a-dozen discovery", which is different from the forum posts he made at the time along the lines of: OMG a real (and winning year) diesel camel trophy discovery!. I make no comment on the veracity of of these allegations, but I believe the folks that related them to me. Anyone can google Brent's post history on the various other forums.

1. The judge tossed the alleged forgery out. The preceding focused on what documents could show ownership of the vehicle(My documentation that Webb verified in court as being original and the only copies to show ownership.
How did I have them? Shady deals previous to me. But for farm equipment, ownership is 9/10th of the law most of the time but even then, I had the documentation, including the sheriffs report) and the rights of the vehicle to be sold by Bob(the guy who sold it to me). The judge ruled in my favor as a bonified purchaser and made us go to mandatory mediation to work it out. I was trying to corporate with Webb, but at that time he was not making it easy to be nice probably due to him thinking I stole it. He wanted me to bite the bullet for something someone else did. For someone who is supposedly the "salt of the earth kinda guy," he was not acting that way at that moment in time... easily pointing the finger in my direction. If it was mine and this ******** happened, I would be pissed too. But with the facts laid out on the table, he still chose to blame me.

2. If you go fishing without a reel, don't be sore that you didn't catch any fish. He called the sheriff and said I stole it. Which is incorrect. I bought it fair and square off of craigslist. When I talked to the sheriff, he didn't even know I had documentation proving ownership but after receiving the docs, he proceeded anyways. I called a lawyer then and there due to my rights being infringed on. The sheriffs showed up and I threatened to sue San Miguel county and Mesa for not going through due process. Even though he was pissed at that moment, the sheriff continued to investigate and then closed the case because of shady dealings in the past were admitted to him by previous owners/family. We had to go to court to sort it out. Basically, we went fishing and he didn't bring a reel.

3. When I first got the vehicle, I thought it was a swapped disco 1 with crappy livery. The diesel swap was worth the price plus some. That is the Truth. Then when I saw the crate stamped camel trophy in the back, I started doing some investigating. I even ordered a doc from a museum in the UK to verify it. If I did say something out of order pertaining to this Camel on the forums, then I apologize for confusing or misleading information. I was excited that it was a camel, or at least sporting camel garb according to members on the forum, but I didn't know it was "officially" the winning truck until I received that document. But the way you just stated "Anyone can google Brent's post history on the various other forums," it could be implied that you were saying there are multiple accounts of me doing shady stuff. This is fake news and misleading.

4. I have a copy of that sheriffs report around here somewhere...

Last edited:

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Ultimately, this whole story comes down to a personal choice: (1.) Helping make a wrong right. (2.) Making as much money as possible.

I initially chose 1. When we went into mediation I wanted my money back(initial money spent on vehicle/towing and the money I spent to buy parts, maybe even a little money for my time/sweat I put into it). The response I received was, I will give you 1500$ and nothing else. That was a slap to my face and disrespect no matter what you say. I don't work for free.

You can try to talk like you know everything and boil it down to two outcomes, but you are naive to think you can pass judgement upon me when you don't understand the full extent of the story and the pieces at play in this whole situation. Sticks and stones.

Disco2Guy

Observer
SMH, you're back again???

That link from DiscoDavis as being "biased speculation" is only the info relayed to me directly from Webb. There's nothing speculative about it. He's not on any forums and that was the only way for people to hear his side of the story.

That will always be Webb's truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94