1992 Montero - Already built, build thread!

ca18_sean

Adventurer
I picked up this nicely equipped Montero from Alex (Monterorider) on here a couple months back :)

If you're not familiar with his truck, he did a fantastic job outfitting it for light expedition duty!

DSC04582.jpg

DSC04584.jpg

DSCF4733.jpg

DSCF4732.jpg

DSCF1962sized.jpg

stuff_078.jpg

Already complete mods include :

- 33" 285/75R16 TrXus MT tires
- Jeep ZJ ARB front bumper
- Mile Marker 10500lb hydraulic winch
- ARB rear locker
- GAST 100% duty cycle twin head compressor/on-board air
- Safari snorkel
- Custom rear bumper with jerry can/high-lift holder
- AirLift 1000 helper bags
- KYB Monomax shocks
- Custom storage shelf/sleeping platform
- Suspension driver seat frame

He was even nice enough to throw in some spare parts and all the factory service manuals!

The one and only hurdle with purchasing the truck was that Alex and I are literally on opposite ends of the country. He was awesome with coordination and we packed it up in Portland, Oregon and shipped it across the country to Tampa, Florida! I'm sure saying good-bye to an old friend of 12 years must have been tough! I promised him I would keep him updated on any progress I made :)

12-1.jpg

12-11.jpg

So far I only have ONE picture of it being used here in Florida... My finance and I took a trip to the keys to do some lobstering! It was actually the trip we became engaged on! I added a pintle/combination hitch to the bumper on the factory 4 bolt holes, welded on some tabs for the safety chains, and hooked up our Maverick flats boat for a weekend of fun in the sun!

hitch.jpg

IMG220.jpg

Our catch for the day :)

331254_10151010518083424_1624873645_o.jpg

My future plans for the truck don't involve anything crazy. Alex (thankfully) already covered most of the important bases! I love working on cars/trucks, I was a Nissan technician for 5 years, but with my current job, planning a wedding, and finding time to just hang out and relax, it was easier to just buy something already built! It's the first vehicle that I've ever owned that I didn't build myself, but everything on it has been done with a level of quality that exceeded my expectations! I'm loving being able to just jump in and drive it anywhere I want!

That being said, it's currently parked awaiting some new suspension bushings (rear trailing arms, and front sway bar), it's probably getting close to needing brakes, and I'd like to upgrade the radiator to deal with the Florida heat, especially when we're towing a boat. It would start to run a little warm after 5 hours of towing in 95 degree summer weather. I'm also not a huge fan of the current wheels, but the tires are AMAZING, so I'll probably just find another set of 16's. I saw these on a Tacoma forum, and fell in love. They're called SCS F-5. $580 for the set is pretty nice too!

photo.jpg

I'd also like to LineX the front and rear bumpers and install a set of rock sliders. Down the line I'd like to add a rack with a roof top tent, and maybe add a slide out rear shelf under the rear platform with some camping/cooking gear on it.

I love seeing all the awesome build threads on here! Thanks for the ideas guys, keep 'em coming!

-Sean

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the Mitsu crowd, Monterorider did a great job with his rig. Its a good color too. Glad it went to good hands.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Welcome to the Mitsu crowd, Monterorider did a great job with his rig. Its a good color too. Glad it went to good hands.

Thanks, he really did!

I love the green... but I'd really like the flares to be body colored instead of the two tone. Anyone had any success matching a bedliner to the stock Montero green? I asked for a sample of Durabak - Forrest Green. I'll see how close it matches.

dark-green.jpg

I think it's the closest color I've found yet.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/colorchart.htm

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Let's talk diesel swaps.

This 3.0 V6 is OK, but the gas mileage is marginal at best (~16mpg) and anytime I tow something it drops like a brick(~12mpg). Not to mention it really seems to run out of steam anytime I'm towing. I'm thinking a diesel swap with a 5 speed behind it would be the ticket.

Can anyone ID the generation that this 4D56T came out of? I found it on eBay from a seller that I've actually purchased an SR20DET (Nissan Japanese turbo engine) from in the past and was very happy with the quality of that motor.

I found another build thread on here that had a very similar turbo/intercooled 4D56 engine swap from a first gen Pajero in it, but it had a different (smaller) transmission with no electronics coming off of it. This one looks to have a bunch of electronics and wires hanging off of it, which might indicate (to me at least) that it's from a 2nd gen with the SS4 gearbox behind it. It does however have what appears to be a mechanical speedo. Do the 2nd gens use a mechanical or electronic speedo?

022-15.jpg

023-15.jpg

026-14.jpg

030-11.jpg

032-11.jpg

034-11.jpg

It looks like it's a rear sump pan. Does anyone have a list of what sort of things I'll need to change? In the 1st gen build thread I found, was a 3.0 V6 to 4D56T swap and it was relatively straightforward. Stuff like powersteering lines, oil cooler lines, a/c lines, are all easy. There's a shop in town that I've used to make lines in the past for engine swaps. I've done half a dozen Nissan JDM engine swaps so I figure I should have the mechanical know-how to pull something like this off. I just want to make sure I get the proper engine/transmission/mounts so I'm not custom fabbing anything too serious.

mike5

Adventurer
Can you provide additional pix of the rear bumper? I'm interested in having something like that made for mine. Do you know if it started out as a bumper for another car that was made to work with the montero?

Cruisn

Adventurer
I did the 1st gen swap, on the electrics issue, I chose to go completely old school and cut out anything that wasbasically an aid. hence why my engine has a whopping 9 wires going to it I think...

as for the swap, should sit directly on the front motor mounts without issues. they were in the same place for the v6/4d56t and for the trany I am not 100% sure if the gen 2 has 2 different cross bars, I had to remove my auto cross bar for a manual bar. its 8 bolts, so try to find one at a wreckers.

also the snubber may not line up as it is welded on at different positions between auto and manual.

otherwise she drops in.
you also have the transmission I want.... haha. next round I will sort it out.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
also the snubber may not line up as it is welded on at different positions between auto and manual.

otherwise she drops in.
you also have the transmission I want.... haha. next round I will sort it out.

Pardon my Aussie slang ignorance... .what's a "snubber"?

Also, I haven't purchased anything yet... I'm just window shopping the swap right now. It's gonna be ~$3k for the engine and transmission with shipping. I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. I REALLY want a small diesel SUV and they're next to impossible to find in the US.

Thanks for the tips :)

Let's talk diesel swaps.

This 3.0 V6 is OK, but the gas mileage is marginal at best (~16mpg) and anytime I tow something it drops like a brick(~12mpg). Not to mention it really seems to run out of steam anytime I'm towing. I'm thinking a diesel swap with a 5 speed behind it would be the ticket.

Can anyone ID the generation that this 4D56T came out of? I found it on eBay from a seller that I've actually purchased an SR20DET (Nissan Japanese turbo engine) from in the past and was very happy with the quality of that motor.

I found another build thread on here that had a very similar turbo/intercooled 4D56 engine swap from a first gen Pajero in it, but it had a different (smaller) transmission with no electronics coming off of it. This one looks to have a bunch of electronics and wires hanging off of it, which might indicate (to me at least) that it's from a 2nd gen with the SS4 gearbox behind it. It does however have what appears to be a mechanical speedo. Do the 2nd gens use a mechanical or electronic speedo?

022-15.jpg

023-15.jpg

026-14.jpg

030-11.jpg

032-11.jpg

034-11.jpg

It looks like it's a rear sump pan. Does anyone have a list of what sort of things I'll need to change? In the 1st gen build thread I found, was a 3.0 V6 to 4D56T swap and it was relatively straightforward. Stuff like powersteering lines, oil cooler lines, a/c lines, are all easy. There's a shop in town that I've used to make lines in the past for engine swaps. I've done half a dozen Nissan JDM engine swaps so I figure I should have the mechanical know-how to pull something like this off. I just want to make sure I get the proper engine/transmission/mounts so I'm not custom fabbing anything too serious.

Damn! I would definitely be interested in doing this also.

plh

Explorer
I sent the seller on ebay a note several days ago about the general running condition of the engine. He would only state that all the parts that appear in the photos are included and could not make any mention if it is complete or runs. It is sold as is.

JamesW

Adventurer
I'd be more inclined to go for the 4M40T over the 4D56 if i were you and you had the choice. I found the 2.5L a small bit underpowered compared to the the 2.8L. And the 2.5 is quite low geared for cruising,at 60mph it will be doing around 3000RPM which is high for a diesel,and ends up being thirsty if cruising for long periods of time.

Only thing is with yours being the 3.0 version it won't be that simple to put the 2.8 into it,the bellhousing on the back of the engine is quite big,which is why the 2.8 models have a slight factory body lift.

A good thing to know is both the 2.5 and the 2.8 diesels are very tuneable with little effort,and it can make a big difference to the power :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior