1992 GMC Suburban

98dango

Expedition Leader
January 4 2016 lets start the new year with a new adventure rig.

1992 GMC Suburban 2500 5.7 4l80e Np241 full float 14 bolt.

This was my father in laws back up to the back up rig. I tried to get it off him years ago with no luck. In the last year and a half and 500 miles I installed a new 4l80e for him rebuilt the transfercase and 2 weeks ago he got the wild hair to put new 265 good year Athority tires on it. Then he wanted a truck I had presto $1000 and a 97 Nissan I bought from him I now own it.

this should be a great replacement to my superduty that now get duty towing for work.

As there is not a whole lot of Gmt400 love hear ill add what I can. This will not be some super fancy build. The plan is a simple one keep it looking as close to how it dose now and function great.

So build plans

#1 mount Warn M12000 Winch
#2 install a working radio
#3 24" led bar
#4 Install CB
#5 enjoy

later I will add things but right now she works great. The winch is safety wife and I got frost bite once getting stuck so never again. Working radio self explanatory road trips get long with out music. 24" led bar light is nice. CB is always good to stay in touch. The best is I own all of the above mentioned. Enjoy that is what life is all about.

I promise to post up pictures in the morning its hard to get with short days.

The winch install is first on the lit. I picked up a harbor freight winch plate tonight in hopes of a behind bumper mount.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Took the Sub up to the mountains today. She is a beast in the snow I have the only tire tracks to the top. Had a small miss on the way home looks like it's time for new wires.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice. I am just learning the difference between jeeps and driving my big ole burb is slick conditions. Seems like the off camber stuff, low traction stuff gets super interesting when the heavy beast wants to slide. She is gonna go where she is gonna go :-0

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice score Dango! I always loved that color combo too. Anxious to see what all you do with her

I sure have a man crush on this 94 on CL now. The last thing on earth I need is another project but gives one something to dream about building. Especially for the price and condition. Some Expoer needs to buy it!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice score Dango! I always loved that color combo too. Anxious to see what all you do with her

I sure have a man crush on this 94 on CL now. The last thing on earth I need is another project but gives one something to dream about building. Especially for the price and condition. Some Expoer needs to buy it!

Wow, nice burb on that CL ad!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure what all I'm going to do with her. She is way to clean to molest to bad. The kid in me want to sas with a 79 ford hi pinion 60 and 35s. but the reality is she works so good as is.

I did try to install my Warn CW M12000 winch and that's not going to work like I had planed. So I need to decide what I'm doing there. I'm sure the harbor freight 12000 I have would be fine for as much use as it will get.

The wife and I will be taking a trip to Moab with her in 2 weeks. Taking the quads as well so she wont see a whole lot of off road use but you never know.

SouthEastSamuel

Weekend Adventurer
A light bar is a very handy thing to have, and the 30" on the bumper does its job well (I have one on my Suburban). Even though the interior space is ridiculously huge, would you ever consider a roof rack for gear?

98dango

Expedition Leader
A light bar is a very handy thing to have, and the 30" on the bumper does its job well (I have one on my Suburban). Even though the interior space is ridiculously huge, would you ever consider a roof rack for gear?

I don't have a probem with roof racks. How ever I don't see us needing one. We really don't take that much gear with us.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Finally made it to storage yesterday and picked up my old Harbor Freight 12k winch. It has a lower profile than the Warn hopefully it will fit behind the stock bumper. That is the plan for today but I'm married so that can change by the time I get off the computer.

Also have to say with my past experience I am not a fan of the Walmart Good year authority tires How ever they are truly great in the winter driving conditions. This Sub with these tires has taken me every where I have pointed it with out complaint. My wife and I are looking forward to our first over night or over 6 night trip week after next.

I'm sure more mods will come up after our trip and my simple don't build it just use it may go out the window.

Also has any one else seen a good 3" lift for a 2500 gmt400 I recently purchased a 3" for my wife's Tahoe but am having a hard time finding one for my 2500. I would like the middle up a tad but do not like the full 4" IFS lift with all the drop brackets and such. I want 3-4" of lift but years as a mechanic tells me for longevity I don't want over 4" I'm fast at ball joints but do not enjoy them.

Bojak

Adventurer
Check off road design for lift. Probably have something that will work.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

98dango

Expedition Leader
ORD has a nice sas kit and so far just 4 or 6 ifs lift. I hate to do it but 80% of me says to sas and do your best to keep it low. I personally love the old man look and only want 3 Mabie 4" taller but more flex would be nice

98dango

Expedition Leader
finally not snowing outside actually 36 degrees today so lets mount a winch.

first I know the lock free spool lever needs rotated so lets pull a winch apart. this winch was used exactly 2 times in its previous life once to winch me out of a lake <don't ask> and once to winch a dodge on a trailer.

IMG_20140623_165950.jpg

IMG_20140623_170014.jpg

well I removed the side cover and I'm very glad I did. what I found was Ice and rust. so time to go more in depth with this and show a winch clean up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles