1992 f150 daily driver and adventure rig.

Ghostwhite

Green, you place too much faith in that check engine light. The rule with the EEC-IV ignition system is to always check for codes if you have any drivability problem, CEL be damned. Just a heads-up for next time ya ou know...

Ghost, if he can hear the pump running there should be fuel shooting out the fuel filter. These pumps are either on or off, there's no voltage variance in order to vary flow rate or anything like that - if she gets 12V she will run at full tilt, if you hear her run she is getting the voltage. That said, we did recently run into a similar issue with a friend's truck, we could hear the pump running but there was no fuel coming out the line feeding the filter. We ended up force-feeding fuel thru the engine via external e-pump sucking from a fuel can, since it was an actual in-tank pump rigged for stand-alone use it did provide the proper flow and pressure to relight the engine, and eventually the truck's own pump joined the party as well. I have no explanation as to what cause it to not push fuel initially, or what brought it back to life, but the tank was full to the top and then some...

Sounds like it's indeed time to pull the bed and see what's going on with the pump.

You're right, I read too quickly and missed the fuel filter removed part of his post, definitely an in-tank problem.

Riley

Observer
Were you able to reuse the OEM plug for the fuel pump from the chassis harness? If not, did it get plugged in with the wires reversed?

I had to cut the OE plug off and "customize" the install on mine and it would have been easy to get them switched up.

greengreer

Adventurer
Pulled the bed a few days ago and it turns out one of the extension tubes from where I had modified the pump/pickup had come loose. I ended up redoing them with rubber lines and using a piece of all thread to hold everything solid and at the correct angle.
If anyone is to do this mod, I would recommend using compression fittings and stainless tubing over what spectra's instructions tell you. I found a writeup on a ford truck forum that I could pm someone the link to. I wish I had done mine that way but it's too late at this point.

Also to update, the reflex shocks seem pretty nice. I am pleased with how it rides, that being said I am certain any shock would be an improvement to the 23yo shocks that were on there. I'll be interested to see how the reflex's hold up.

underdrive

jackwagon
Don't know what the Spectra kit includes, but yes compression fittings and steel line is how we did our Bronco tank as well. I actually quite hate working with compression fittings, but there was simply no space to double-flare the pickup assembly line. Tho now that I think aboit it even a single-flare would have been fine... Ah well, maybe next time, that pickup assembly is eventually getting replaces with a stainless-steel PSD unit anyways.

greengreer

Adventurer
Spectra includes copper tubing that they recommend soldering on. I could not get a strong connection using silver solder to the stainless parts so I tried jb weld. I made sure to give it some flex testing before I reinstalled and it seemed strong but apparently it is not for use submersed in gasoline (although the packaging saying it would be fine in that application).
I too am not a huge fan of compression fittings although the fuel lines don't see near the pressure for it to be am issue, IMO.

On a side note the Monroe reflex shocks are riding pretty nice, a bit soft for my taste but I would strongly recommend them at this point for the price. I hope to get some life out of them although I do think I will upgrade to bilsteins eventually.

greengreer

Adventurer
Nothing really to update, just been driving and enjoying the truck. I'm digging the extra fuel capacity alot, and the shocks are still performing fairly well. Work has been slow lately, and of course tax season is upon us so I wont be able to spend much on the truck until summer. Right now I am wanting to finish the yakima racks and will need to replace the tires before next winter. I never did buy chains, and although the truck did fine I could have used them getting stuck in the snow in a friends pasture. So, probably add the chains onto the list. I am also beginning to think about paint. While I like the patina look, the paint is basically just falling off the truck. I need to do something to protect it from rust. I like the color and am thinking of doin the prep myself and having someone reshoot it with a couple coats of single stage to keep it durable and inexpensive. I don't want a nice paintjob that I will worry about scratching, but I do want the truck to look ok and be protected from the elements.

Badin

I got the same truck a month ago, but a baby blue 1987 with 3.55 rear. Also has an open diff, which I will also need to change out some day. Rusted hood, clear coat falling off. Extra bonus was driver's side front body mount was torn free, which got welded yesterday. I finished shocks (front has quads), bushings. Next week passenger side ball joints. then power steering pump. Enjoying the posts.

greengreer

Adventurer
Is yours a 4spd? I am on the fence about 3.55's. It would put the truck back close to stock rpm/mph with the 33's.
Feel free to post some pics of your truck...

greengreer

Adventurer
Realized I haven't posted any pictures to this thread in a while, so I dug through some from the past few months.
Fall colors at the house

Three top mtn

Stone mtn

View of snake mtn from peak mtn

View south from snake mtn. You can see the ski slopes of beech mtn on left.

Flazer

Observer
Will do. Cheapest I have seen is a bit under 300 for the motorcraft pf3b.

So I went ahead and ordered a f26e gas tank (38gal). It should be here Thursday and hopefully I will have time to install it this weekend. I will keep the thread posted.
Also was ready to pull the trigger on some bilsteins but the front shocks are on backorder for around 3 months (pn 33-230405) so I ordered a set of monroe reflex online. Got a killer deal and they should be here next week. I'm sure they will be far better than the basically useless shocks on there now. They also saved me enough over the bilsteins to buy two pair of Rud tirechains which I will be ordering soon. Anyhow the shocks should arrive next week and I am anxious to see how they do. I will likely end up going the bilstein route anyway but this will allow me to get rid of the pogo stick ride and maybe even save up for some 5160's... we shall see.

Hey Green,

Did you end up buying more than just the Reflexes for the front? I'm looking at replacing the aux and rear shocks on my Bronco with them (someone already put reflexes on the front), but I'm having a hard time finding the right part numbers. Monroe just lists their other shocks for the aux and rear applications. Just wanted to see what you did.

greengreer

Adventurer
Mine doesn't have the quad shock option, so I can't comment up front. Out back I used reflex pn 911039. From what I remember it fit 250's and srw 350's as well. I assume it would be the same for a bronco but not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles