1992 Dodge W250 Cummins / VW Vanagon Abomination *MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS*

rfoubi

Observer
awesome. I watched your other trailer build since i have been comtemplating something similar. This one is a seriously ambitious project. But that final layout is an absolute perfect setup (saying this as a van guy that also has a full size pickup.) best of both!

Karmann Vandiego

Today was all about moving the brown van into the driveway, to get it ready for the big cut.

FB_IMG_1608252877286.jpg

This will be a different cut than the white van in a couple of ways...

The only thing that matters is the center section of this van. I will be cutting out a 14"-16" strip (instead of 12") from the roof, nose, and rear cargo floor in order to have extra metal to work with. Hopefully this will make the curve across the front as seamless as possible.

Since I only require certain parts of this van, I will cut the roof and nose off and push the rolling shell out of the way. This will make cutting the strip out much easier while standing on the ground.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate, and we can start filling that gap this weekend!

Excited to get this cab built! Can't wait to see it bolted to the frame. Keep it real, friends!

Florida Native

he answered this a few times so far but he plans on a solid center section and two sides that flip outwards like a safari rig :)

I guess my question could have been worded better... I was more wondering if he was going to try and use an OEM windshield and make a frame to fit or try and get a custom piece of safety glass made to fit his opening or... ? Due to the extra straight section in the middle, I wouldn’t think the VW windshield would be the right shape as-is regardless of the width issue.

-Mike

Karmann Vandiego

I guess my question could have been worded better... I was more wondering if he was going to try and use an OEM windshield and make a frame to fit or try and get a custom piece of safety glass made to fit his opening or... ? Due to the extra straight section in the middle, I wouldn’t think the VW windshield would be the right shape as-is regardless of the width issue.

-Mike
Great question! The plan is to use a section of a factory windshield in the center. Since the center section of the 2nd donor van will be used, the curve in the windshield frame should continue in a fairly normal fashion. I don't think the shape of either the frame or center windshield should have to be changed...I think:unsure:

Of course, and as always, this is a bar napkin build! There are smudges, stains, and many times I can't read my own handwriting! Often the details are worked out by braille.

This build is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

This guy knows what I'm talking about ?

Karmann Vandiego

Today's task was to totally strip donor 2 down to nil. Though it doesn't look like much has taken place here, between the weather and massive amount of parts stored inside, this took most of the day.

FB_IMG_1608338847843.jpgFB_IMG_1608338850442.jpg

I have a few more things to get out of the way, then it's time to take our middle cut, and finally glue our 2 halves back together using electricity!

Karmann Vandiego

Since my last post, I have been laying in bed ill with some horrible sickness. It wasn't covid, so here we are.

I have no updates other than a video of the cuts I made to the donor van. It ends abruptly, as I became I'll rather abruptly.

Some serious life changes will be happening soon. I will post again with more updates soon.

Fording

This is an incredible project. Hope you’re getting better and I look forward to the completion of this... um... piece of art?

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Hope you're feeling better. This is one of the best things i've seen on the internet, hope you are able to continue to work on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior