1992 Dodge W250 Cummins / VW Vanagon Abomination *MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS*

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So you’re planning a cabover? Is that right? I haven’t watched the videos, so forgive me if it’s covered there. It’s definitely a heck of a project either way. Will it be titled as a Dodge or VW? Flat deck, or use the back lower to make a box?

Karmann Vandiego

So you’re planning a cabover? Is that right? I haven’t watched the videos, so forgive me if it’s covered there. It’s definitely a heck of a project either way. Will it be titled as a Dodge or VW? Flat deck, or use the back lower to make a box?
Indeed! The plan (if you want to call it that) is to turn the front half of the VW into a crew cab cabover for the Dodge chassis. Once the cab is fitted, we will build a walk through style camper box for the back. I'm planning for the camper to be cabover as well, so there is no wasted space.

Today I am carefully removing the air conditioner from Donor #1. Then a few odds and ends so hopefully we will have 1/2 of a van by this evening!

Karmann Vandiego

Have you planned your steering shaft to box hook up yet? Curious to see how you do it.
I've got a couple of ideas, but I can only visualize it so much without something to mock up. As soon as I have a section of the van available to see where everything lines up, then I can come up with a solid plan. Right now, it looks like either the steering box will need to be relocated further forward, or possibly using a couple of steering gears from the donor vans as seen below. I'm not sure I like the idea of the steering going through so many gears and couplers, but i guess it all depends on placement and available space.

s-l1600.jpg

Karmann Vandiego

Good afternoon, friends! A very short update, with no pictures.

Basically, the project has been at a standstill for nearly a month as I struggle with a bad knee and lacking time to dedicate to the project.
As I have been healing, I have spent a crazy amount of time hobbling around the junk yard I call a driveway, realizing that all of this space could be utilized so much better. I sold the whole project to a wrecking yard, so the metal could be disposed of properly.

Gotcha!

Seriously though...my knee is killing me. I was hoping to be healed up by now, turning metal into sparks and then gluing it back together with electricity! Hopefully I will have true updates this weekend...

Karmann Vandiego

We have successfully made cuts to Donor #1!

We were too late in the evening to make the full separation from the rear end, but plan to start early tomorrow so I can make some good progress.

Here are some shots of carnage that I know you have all been waiting for. You didn't think I would do it, did you...

FB_IMG_1594524765206.jpg
FB_IMG_1594524768053.jpg
FB_IMG_1594524770995.jpg
FB_IMG_1594524775027.jpg
FB_IMG_1594524779776.jpg

As it sits for the night. Tomorrow, we make the rest of the cuts, and prepare to make the perpendicular cut down the roof line!

As an added bonus, the rear of the van is going to be turned into an offroad adventure trailer. Stay tuned for details on that little side project.

That's all I have for tonight folks! Stay funky!

Karmann Vandiego

I should clarify that I am fully removing the back half of this van. Removing the roof from the rear section mearly sets me up for another project and makes the rear end lighter when It comes time to remove it.

I would also like to stress to everybody that reads this thread...none of this makes any sense. Dont try. The plan was loose to begin with. I like to have a goal, and get there by braille.

Once the front section of the van is separated from the rear, the front suspension must be fully removed. Once that is completed the van will be split down the middle lengthwise, so that it may be widened by about 10".

You've been warned by the title...the end product may not be aesthetically pleasing.

borison

Adventurer
It’s like a scary movie, not sure what’s gonna happen next, but I can’t look away. I’m compelled to see whats next. Joseph Conrad called it the fascination of the abomination. Bring it on Dr Frankenstein!

Karmann Vandiego

Some carnage has happened! Be ready for more video coming your way!

The moment we have all been waiting for...FULL SEPERATION ??

FB_IMG_1594602413309.jpg
FB_IMG_1594602430909.jpg
FB_IMG_1594602427564.jpg

In the last photo, you can see the start to my offroad camping trailer. More typing when I'm not on a cell phone! Peace!

Karmann Vandiego

You'll have to make that 10"wider to match the cab...
The plan is to tow the trailer behind my FJ Cruiser. I believe the independent suspension on the trailer should make it an excellent offroad camping trailer. With a rack system to attach our roof tent, a parcel shelf beneath that, and a storage compartment in the old engine compartment beneath that, this thing should be rad AF.

But that build is for another forum...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz