1992 Dodge W250 Cummins / VW Vanagon Abomination *MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS*

Karmann Vandiego

I agree with the above statement! The front of that thing is going to be massive! Like an old flat face blue bird but way cooler! Something that’s just come to mind what exactly is your plan for front and rear glass on this fine piece of machinery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plan for the front glass is to section it into 3 windshields. I would like the center windshield to remain stationary, while the 2 outer windshields flip up like safari windows on an old split window bus.

As for the rear, it will be a full expedition box, so the factory windows will not be required!

mekcanix

Camper
I am with the others keep on keeping on and we will take care of the naysayers. I am following your build eagerly and love the massiveness and oddness of the task you have set before yourself.
you have my respect and admiration and a lifted eyebrow for the weird factor
love it!!

Karmann Vandiego

After another long bout with debilitating knee and hip pain, I have begun to dismantle the chassis even more to begin mocking up the new body.

FB_IMG_1599270587119.jpg
FB_IMG_1599270590385.jpg
FB_IMG_1599270593169.jpg

The drivers side of the frame needed to be cleared of everything to make room for the body. The steering box will be moved into the 2wd position to make use of a crossover steering setup. I am currently researching springs, airbags, or a combo of both to upgrade the suspension.
FB_IMG_1599270599291.jpg
FB_IMG_1599270596490.jpg

Once the frame was more or less bare, I began inspecting where the steering box mounted for cracks. Unfortunately, I have some repairs to make and a brace to fabricate.

FB_IMG_1599270602529.jpg

It appears this is a previous repair that was not properly executed, resulting in further cracking.

Joints permitting, tomorrow I will begin trimming the left half of the body, to mock it up to the frame.

Karmann Vandiego

After some trimming to the body, I was able to mock it up to the frame! I'm excited to see the first signs of my dream becoming reality!
FB_IMG_1599359227561.jpg
FB_IMG_1599359224380.jpg
FB_IMG_1599359229909.jpg
FB_IMG_1599359232975.jpg
FB_IMG_1599359235574.jpg

I was also happy to see that everything more or less fits as I envisioned it. The motor should sit near level with the seat bottoms.

FB_IMG_1599359238554.jpg
FB_IMG_1599359241180.jpg
FB_IMG_1599359243717.jpg

Planning for some more carnage tomorrow as I begin to fit the passenger side!

Stay funky, friends!

Karmann Vandiego

Love watching this. Are you planning on cleaning/rust proofing the chassis whilst you are there?
Indeed! Right now I am simply mocking up and fitting the body to the frame. Once I have an idea of where the body mounts need to be added, I will then prep and paint the frame with rust converter.

AJM

The side profile looks really nice.

Thanks for sharing your project with us all

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I've seen a Dodge Van conversion that was widened into a bus where they presumably shortened two windshields (cut the overlap out of the middle of both) and had a divider bar in the middle. Laced in with regular rubber gasket. Maybe food for thought...

E898D13D-D1D8-4623-A93D-1DF52812CE0E.jpeg

ITTOG

Love this build. I would love to be close enough to lend a hand. Oh, and have the time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

BudgetEverything

Oh man, this thing is heating up. And honestly, the 10” widening isn’t as off putting as I thought it would be, it doesn’t look too abnormal and I hope that you bond the two grilles together to make one, but I’m interested to see what’s in your head for that.

Maybe an emblem that says:

VV
WW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles