1992 230GE Import to California?


New member
Hey guys, planning a new overland build in one of my favorite platforms: w461 body SWB G-Class (230GE). I live in Los Angeles and I can't for the life of me figure out if I would be able to register it here? It's old enough that I'm clear from there 25y rule and it should be able to pass smog. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I would rather not register it in Montana/Nevada if I can avoid it.



Yes it can be imported and CA registered. Call G&K automotive in Santa Ana. They will make it smoggable and registered in CA. But it isnt a cheap process. Also mention to them it's a 461 and not 463.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $16.79
Drive Nacho Drive: A Journey from the American Dream to t...
by Brad Van Orden, Sheena Van Orden
From $15.95
Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place
by Mike Martin, Chloe Baker, Charlie Hatch-Barnwell
From $32.5
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide route and planning guide...
by Chris Scott
From $23.82
Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
by Laurence Gonzales
From $9.99