1991 Toyota Pickup SR5 build/adventure

Staggerlee

Alright here we go! After a few years of daydreaming about owning a late 80's/early 90's Toyota pickup, I've finally made the dream a reality. 200k after its birth, it is mine. I currently live in NYC and had no need for a car after switching jobs, so I sold my little 4 door Toyota sedan and left my transportation to 2 wheels. I work in the bicycle industry and had more invested in bicycles than the car at the time, so commuting by bicycle was king. Fast forward to 2020, a booming bicycle industry a pandemic, and working 7 days a week left me with a little cash pile to blow on a truck!

The previous owner had spent some time and hard earned money making this thing pretty clean! The bed/gate, front panels, and hood were all replaced and repainted. The undercarriage had been treated every year and after a long 15 minute crawl under the truck I noticed the frame was in perfect shape. There is also no sign of rust in the doors either! A long block replacement was done at 170K. The exhaust has been replaced since removing the cat converter as well. They had also put on the 31 Mastercrafts, (which rub a little when fully cranked to the left or right).

IMG_9267.jpg

I've got some medium sized plans for this truck in the continental US. The company I work for is going to be opening up 2 new retail locations per year in North America and I've been tasked with getting them off the ground, training the staff and handing over the keys to a confident and competent store manager who will then report back to me with my home base in NYC. As we grow I'll need to see new sites, visit existing store, etc.. and what better way to do it then by camping and mountain biking along the way to each stop. The work will become increasingly remote so having this getaway vehicle is clutch. OK, on to the to-do/wish list.

To do:
1. Replace factory suspension with OME front and rear suspension. The front will also need control arms, sway bar, sway bar link, bushings throughout.
2. Track down the wiring issue/replace alternator, as I just received the indicator light kiss of death for the alternator.
3. Install KB VOODOO Max Modular rack with rotopax, bike rack, jack, maxtrax CVT hardshell RTT, and awning.
4. Build out drawer system in the back for all my camping and MTB'ing needs.
5. Replace stock headlights and add some nice PIAA or equivalent LED bulbs.

Wishlist:
1. Replace front bumper with and ARB bumper, ARB LED lights and Warn winch.
2. Replace rear bumper with possible table swing out.
3. 33's
4. Re-gear to 4.88 and add rear diff locker.
5. Dual battery system with solar panels mounted to the RTT

I'm open to any and all recommendations as this is my first go at kitting out a truck for some adventures. There is plenty of inspiration here and will take any opinions to heart!

Idaho_Pakeha

Occasional Archaeologist
What motor? Trans? I would consider a Trail Gear front bumper over an ARB because it is cheaper and lighter (but that's just me, I am cheap). Also, consider a conversion to a GM one wire alternator if you are replacing the alternator, more power, same belts. Go as light as possible, even with the mighty 3.0 these are underpowered. The 4.88s really help (I love mine with my 22RE) but gears can only do so much. I did a "lunchbox" Spartan locker on my 4runner, be prepared for some interesting handling quirks if you go that route. Climbs like a ******** though, so there's that.

gamequeazy

What motor? Trans? I would consider a Trail Gear front bumper over an ARB because it is cheaper and lighter (but that's just me, I am cheap). Also, consider a conversion to a GM one wire alternator if you are replacing the alternator, more power, same belts. Go as light as possible, even with the mighty 3.0 these are underpowered. The 4.88s really help (I love mine with my 22RE) but gears can only do so much. I did a "lunchbox" Spartan locker on my 4runner, be prepared for some interesting handling quirks if you go that route. Climbs like a ******** though, so there's that.

Funny, I put a spartan in mine a couple of weeks ago in the rear and I HATE it driving around on the street, so much so that I have a truetrac on the way to swap it out with haha. Like you said, does real nice climbing around.

I have 4.88 with 31's and a 5spd in it with the 3.0 and it seems geared a bit high, but not too far off. A 32 or 33 would get the revs back where they should be but ehhh it's fine.

Neat project, nice to have the bed and the extra cab interested to see the progress!

phsycle

Adventurer
With 4.88, I’d get the OME on there and slap some 255/85/16 ST Maxx’s on there. Nice truck. One of my favorite pickup body style.

Idaho_Pakeha

Occasional Archaeologist
Funny, I put a spartan in mine a couple of weeks ago in the rear and I HATE it driving around on the street, so much so that I have a truetrac on the way to swap it out with haha. Like you said, does real nice climbing around.

I have 4.88 with 31's and a 5spd in it with the 3.0 and it seems geared a bit high, but not too far off. A 32 or 33 would get the revs back where they should be but ehhh it's fine.

Neat project, nice to have the bed and the extra cab interested to see the progress!
I will be curious to hear how you like the Truetrac. They sound like a good way to go for sure. I really don't drive my 4Runner very much so I can get away with aggressive tires (mud terrains) and bad road handling (spartan locker). If it snows I just drive my Honda Element ;) My 4Runner just takes me exploring and on the rare winter road trip to the south to get warm. This was last weekend down by the Snake River. With the locker 4wd was almost optional in the dry.IMG_8915.jpg

Staggerlee

Its the 3.0 V6 with an automatic trans and 4wd control on the floor. I looked at the Trail Gear front bumpers but the style really didn't jump out and wow me.

I actually JUST finished up the alternator replacement with a remanufactured Toyota one I got from the local dealership. Decided to do NGK spark plugs and wire and replace the distributor cap and rotor while I was at it.

You're not kidding about the underpowered engine. However, no matter how much weight I put in it, it climbs at the same pace. Had a half yard of stone dust in it a few weeks ago and it moved just as well. The locker is a pipe dream right now until I can get everything else set up. I don't plan on it being necessary for awhile.IMG_9368.jpg

Staggerlee

Nice! I was either looking at the truetrac or the ARB set ups. I'm definitely going to 33's first before I make the decisions on re-gearing. I can't seem to get a straight answer, but some of these 3.0' V6's were were actually geared around 4.5 from the factory. I guess it was the top of the line set up with the auto trans and extended cab ?‍♂️

Staggerlee

I will be curious to hear how you like the Truetrac. They sound like a good way to go for sure. I really don't drive my 4Runner very much so I can get away with aggressive tires (mud terrains) and bad road handling (spartan locker). If it snows I just drive my Honda Element ;) My 4Runner just takes me exploring and on the rare winter road trip to the south to get warm. This was last weekend down by the Snake River. With the locker 4wd was almost optional in the dry.View attachment 628901
good looking truck! What wheels are those?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nice! I was either looking at the truetrac or the ARB set ups. I'm definitely going to 33's first before I make the decisions on re-gearing. I can't seem to get a straight answer, but some of these 3.0' V6's were were actually geared around 4.5 from the factory. I guess it was the top of the line set up with the auto trans and extended cab ?‍♂️
The V6 trucks with automatics and 31" tires got 4.88 from the factory. A V6 5 speed truck with 31" tires got 4.56 gears. A 22R-E truck with 225/75R15 (28") tires and 5 speed got 4.10 gears and an automatic 4.30. Far and away the most common gearing is 4.10 and the least common is 4.88.

Note that the 4.88 factory gear set is slightly different (thicker) than the 4.10/4.30/4.56 so the third members are unique. Aftermarket 4.88 and 5.29 gear sets work in 4.10 (etc.) housings but factory 4.88 gears only work in factory 4.88 diffs so you're hemmed in if you go that way. I re-geared my 4.10 third members rather than used factory 4.88 personally.

On trucks 1995 and older you can use the build plate to determine gear ratio.

A G07 is an 8" 3.90 (the front on a 1991 would not be an 8" but rather an IFS 7.5" but the axle code is relative to the rear axle). A G08 is 4.10, G14 is 4.88, etc.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Best thing you can do for that 3.0 is do either a crossover pipe retrofit or a set of headers . It not only helps tremendously with drivability but also helps a ton with the dreaded head gasket blowing on the #6 cyl . Also doing a AFM swap helps a ton to , makes it feel like a completely different vehicle

gamequeazy

The V6 trucks with automatics and 31" tires got 4.88 from the factory. A V6 5 speed truck with 31" tires got 4.56 gears. A 22R-E truck with 225/75R15 (28") tires and 5 speed got 4.10 gears and an automatic 4.30. Far and away the most common gearing is 4.10 and the least common is 4.88.

Note that the 4.88 factory gear set is slightly different (thicker) than the 4.10/4.30/4.56 so the third members are unique. Aftermarket 4.88 and 5.29 gear sets work in 4.10 (etc.) housings but factory 4.88 gears only work in factory 4.88 diffs so you're hemmed in if you go that way. I re-geared my 4.10 third members rather than used factory 4.88 personally.

On trucks 1995 and older you can use the build plate to determine gear ratio.

A G07 is an 8" 3.90 (the front on a 1991 would not be an 8" but rather an IFS 7.5" but the axle code is relative to the rear axle). A G08 is 4.10, G14 is 4.88, etc.

Dave's got it right. My 95 v6 (formerly)auto SR5 is G144, so 4.88 gears and the 4pinion rear carrier, and yup factory 4.88 offsets the pinion a wee tad to account for the 4.88 ring gear vs a different gear thickness, so nothing will fit in those to redo except unobtanium 4.88 OEM ring gears. Cheaper to find another junkyard 4.88.

If'n you wanna save some do-rey-me vs buying new gears/regearing your rear i feel like nowadays v6 auto 4runners are a dime a dozen in junyards (at least round here) due to a dead motor so a junkyard OEM 4.88 3rd member is pretty easy to come by and drops right in.

The front is a different story, 7.5" ring gear and a bit more work to get to.

Took mine out last weekend too, only reason I used 4wd with the spartan was to get into low range for really steep stuff!

1607124174883.png

Staggerlee

Best thing you can do for that 3.0 is do either a crossover pipe retrofit or a set of headers . It not only helps tremendously with drivability but also helps a ton with the dreaded head gasket blowing on the #6 cyl . Also doing a AFM swap helps a ton to , makes it feel like a completely different vehicle
The wishlist will definitely be growing. Headers for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles