1991 Suburban 1/2 ton aka StormTrooper

ClovisMan

Observer
So I did a thing today. Finally picked out and purchased my Domestic Fullsize Overland project. 1991 Suburban, 5.7L TBI engine with an automatic od transmission which I assume is a 700R4. Its got 124K on it and runs like a top. The transmission was replaced somewhere in the 80k range. It already has a 4 inch lift with 33 inch BFG's on it. The only thing I don't like about it is the that it has the tailgate instead of the barn doors. SCORE!
Burb1.jpg
Burb2.jpg
Burb3.jpg
Burb4.jpg
Burb5.jpg

Even the interior is in immaculate condition for its age. The carpet could use a shampooing, but it doesn't absolutely need it. Even has the third row seat.
Burb6.jpg
Burb7.jpg
Burb8.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting pics of your fine `Burb´you have there Clovis. I am sure you will find lots of friendly people here as for example our GM guru Larry, who know everything about our trucks. I am looking forward to seeing pics of your build. Cheers, Chilli...:)

ClovisMan

Observer
Thank you for the welcome Chilliwak. My plans for the rig are repairing the A/C and getting this truck aligned. The person I bought it from recently installed the 4 inch lift and changed out all the tie rod ends so the steering wheel is upside down a the moment. There is a leak in the rear A/C evap core. Ordered one from RockAutpo and hope to tackle these problems this week.
Then I hope to just start driving it. I'd like to get some sort of roof rack but the drip rails do not go full length so it looks like I'm going to have to drill some holes which makes me cringe. I'd like to see what others have come up to mount racks and RTT's to these Burbs.

Future plans are a Dana60/14 bolt swap and possibly a 6.0l\4L80e swap. The engine runs so good right though...maybe a winter project. :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well I cant help you much with AC problems, but in regards to a heavy duty roof rack I can say that the best way is to go with a good local fabricator or yourself. As longs as you use a good square piece of flat plate that is big and wide then you can mount a rack directly on the roof. My dad had a 74 burb :)with a homebuilt roof rack with srews that when throught the roof metal, and it still did not leak. He must have hauled tons on that roof. Simple square tubing that is mounted on min. 4 by 4 inch square plates will suffice. Cheers, Chilli..:)

ClovisMan

Observer
Got the alignment done and its much better. Still a little bumpsteer but I can live with it for now. Also pulled the rear A/C apart and swapped the evap core and the expansion valve. What a pain. Now to get it over to have a vacuum put on it, leak check and charge. It was 103F today so I need this to work. :)
Burb9.jpg
Burb10.jpg

Also picked up a Yakima MegaWarrior roof basket. Looks like it will fit up front where the rain gutters are. I ordered some gutter mounts so I'm waiting on those to show up.Burb11.jpg

cyclic

Adventurer
Unless you plan to hard core wheel it, skip the 60/14 bolt swap. They are heavy and have much more drag. You do have a bunch of things you can do with the six lug axles. Hummer H3 front 4 piston brakes will almost bolt on with a bracket. A newer 10 bolt 8.6 disk brake rear axle goes in pretty easy. The TBI wakes up nicely with a few mods and the factory computer can also be updated making it totally user programmable. Add in a decent exhaust and you'll be quite happy. Now if you plan to do heavy towing, then yes a 14 bolt rear and the 8.1 with trans would be nice.

I also have the rear a/c on my burb and love it! Running 134a and it cools just fine here in central texas. I will be upgrading it with a new parallel flow condenser and electric fans eventually, but works fine for now.

Your burb is definitely prettier than mine.
0cpm_zpsn9teoluv.jpg

Look up some of my posts to see some mods that you will probably want to do to yours. Center console, tablet mount, brakes/axles, suspension, ect.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Real nice looking Sub, Clovisman. Looks to be in very good shape. Pretty much what I wanted after I got my '86 longbed C-10. My pickup is even the same color scheme. That year range is where my desire began. Wanted a Sub for a loooong time before I finally bought my project '02 a couple years ago.

Sounds like the drivetrain is good for a while to come. Timing chain and the fuel injector spider are about the only things I know of that would be good preventative maintenance targets. If you do a water pump swap it would be a great time to go after the chain too. And you'll likely have trouble with the brittle plastic tubing of the emissions components, be careful handling them.
I got over 300k mi out of my original 305 engine, before I neglected to keep the oil topped off and hit a big sweeping highway transition with only 2qts in the pan and starved it out / burned up the top end.

There's so much interior room to work with in these Subs, imagination and wallet and skills are the only limits. That and the single DIN size of the radio location. But if you create a center console you could literally add anything you want in the space you have. tablet mount, DVD-capable head unit, radios. See my build topic below for some ideas, if you are inclined towards that sort of stuff.

Last edited:

ClovisMan

Observer
Can ya see it? Of course you can't, but thats cold air coming out of those vents!! Im happier than a tick on a hound dog.
Burb12.JPG

Now to tackle some of the small nit-picky items:
-Driver's door lock actuator not working.
-Driver's door lock button only works in the lock position
-Rear A/C blower motor squeals
-Passenger side mirror has a crack
-Far driver's side vent needs the tube re-attached after stereo install
-Front diff cover has a small leak

ClovisMan

Observer
While I was out picking up the Burb from the A/C shop, my gutter mounts showed up for my Roof Basket. I mounted it up real quick. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I want a full length rack, but don't want to drill holes. I guess Im being a pansy. It sure is starting to look like one of those fancy Overland Rigs. :)
Burb13.jpg

Burb14.jpg

Burb15.JPG

rayra

Expedition Leader
You're going to want to put some traction tape or something similar in those door sills, if you'll be wrasslin' stuff in/out of the rack from there. Raking your shin on the edge of those sills when your foot slips is no fun.

/obligatory 'Nice Rack!'

ClovisMan

Observer
You're going to want to put some traction tape or something similar in those door sills, if you'll be wrasslin' stuff in/out of the rack from there. Raking your shin on the edge of those sills when your foot slips is no fun.

/obligatory 'Nice Rack!'

Good idea. The plan is to get some rock sliders/sidesteps made as well.

ClovisMan

Observer
So I got a few packages from LMCTruck and Amazon and after a trip to my local Tractor Supply store I have enough to start my next project. ElvDave's dual battery system...
Burb16.jpg

On the gas Suburban's the battery is on the passenger side of the truck. On the diesel Burb's its on the driver's side. LMCTruck had all the factory re-pops including battery tray, hold down, and bolts.
Burb17.jpg

The problem is that the vapor canister is in the spot that the battery and tray need to occupy.
Burb18.jpg

So I needed to relocate it. No problem, I'll just scooch it over a few inches to the radiator support. Drill a few holes, grab a few bolts and...VIOLA!
Burb19.jpg

Burb20.jpg

The upper factory holes for the battery tray where already drilled. I just had to mark and drill the 2 lower bolt holes to get it mounted up. Everything fit like a glove.Burb21.jpg

Burb22.jpg

Now I have dual batteries!
Burb23.jpg

Unfortunately, It got reeeeeaaallll hot so I had to call it quits for today. Isolator, fuses, and wiring next.
To Be Continued...

M35A2

Tinkerer
Just replace all the door and window switches. They are known trouble spots and new replacements are inexpensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles