1991 Range Rover Questions

Drdubzz

I've searched and found a little, but I have some questions about a CL ad. https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/4997175628.html

It's local and it runs. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner about looking at it. Aside from rust (not as big a deal up here as in the rust belt, we don't salt roads in the winter) what specific items of concern are there? Electrics?

1600 seems reasonable, but maybe I get it for 14 or 15. This will be a weekend/road trip vehicle. Dalton Highway type stuff, no serious off-roading, maybe I drive it instead of my Golf in bad weather.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Been reading articles on here a while but just now signed up. Looking forward to reading a bunch more

Pogue

Workin on it
Electronics and maintenance. Both of those can be a nightmare if not stayed on top of. I don't know as much as a lot of these folks yet, but I've already chased electrical gremlins from one end of a truck to the other.
Experience with my rrc is it will ALWAYS get me home. Leaking, creaking, and maybe smoking a lil, but it'll do it.

bri

Adventurer
Look at book on it. Should be worth about 700 or so.

It will have pretty crappy heating and AC.

Blueboy

Adventurer
Experience with my rrc is it will ALWAYS get me home.

Same for me except yesterday. Started off from being stopped at RR crossing and then no forward motion with noise from the transmission area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 12

bri

Adventurer
Electronics and maintenance. Both of those can be a nightmare if not stayed on top of. I don't know as much as a lot of these folks yet, but I've already chased electrical gremlins from one end of a truck to the other.
Experience with my rrc is it will ALWAYS get me home. Leaking, creaking, and maybe smoking a lil, but it'll do it.

ALWAYS? Lol. Just wait, you cannot always predict what is going to fail.

I suspect you mean, Experience with my rrc is so far it has ALWAYS got me home.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My perspective - current DD is a 95 RRC LWB.

In general the RRC is a reliable truck if the previous owner performed the routine maintenance. Just like any used vehicle one should consider that items like the transmission can require a rebuild after the 80K + range, depending on how the truck was used. But that is just like every other vehicle. Traditionally the RRC ZF transmission last longer than most. The older the truck the better the engine from a longevity standpoint. Well maintained a 3.9L can go over 200K miles with normal maintenance.

Electrical issues are mostly with switches that control seats and windows. Many were manufactured by Mercedes Benz. They can be disassembled, cleaned and returned to service.

Son has a 89 RRC. Previous owner replaced distributor with Mallory unit. Kept dying. Pulled out all the splices that were used to install the distributor, wired it correctly and she runs solid now. Clearly not a LR issue but a dumb previous owner / installer. Years ago bought a TR7. Owner had attempted to replace the timing chain/sprocket/etc. Got it wrong and fixed it by turning distributor 180deg. When I did a timing chain job, did it right but would not start. Disassembled, blaming myself. Reassembled, would not start. Started tracing distributor rotor, wires, ....... ******! Reinstalled distro, rewired correctly, started immediately! Never underestimate the ability of the previous owner to screw stuff up.

As always used prices can be highly variable. It ALWAYS depends on previous owner and condition. Reasonable prices for RRC's is in the $1100 to $2500 range, depending on condition. Buy really cheap and you WILL spend the money bringing it up to desired level, may more.

Last edited:

Pogue

Workin on it
"ALWAYS? Lol. Just wait, you cannot always predict what is going to fail.

I suspect you mean, Experience with my rrc is so far it has ALWAYS got me home."
True of every vehicle, I think. I trust my RRC over my 06 HSE.
I'm just saying as far as older SUVs go a well maintained rrc is every bit as reliable as a 4runner, but the windows may or may not work!

tacr2man

Adventurer
have to agree with mpinco the reliability of any older vehicle very much relies on the abilities of the previous owner , until you have owned it for a reasonable length of time and then it reflects on your abilities as a mechanic/electrician , too many people blame the vehicle for their own shortcomings , before buying people should make themselves very aware that they are not buying a new Honda JMHO .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior