1991 Range Rover Classic - Country Edition - a.k.a. Jackie

SFP

Once upon a time there was a girl who grew up hearing stories about Rovers. At the same time there was a photographer who had grown up watching Rovers in documentaries about Nature and Wildlife.

Along came a '91 Range Rover Classic - Country

Roman Bronze in colour, she had seen better days and her owner wanted to make sure she would find a good home.

The ad read:
"It is time to pass this magnificent machine on to the next person who will enjoy it. I have owned this awesome vehicle for 10 years and during that time have made numerous upgrades including: a new fuel pump (upgraded to a GM fuel pump for easy parts availability), the alternator was professionally rebuilt by Brian Roberts, a full tune-up including a new ignition coil, a new starter motor installed, a new windshield wiper motor. I also have a bunch of good spare parts including a good lift-gate glass assembly, a 2nd set of good rims and tires plus many other cool accessories for it like extra Camel Trophy grill and light covers etc.

These 4wd vehicles are very strong and unbeatable for comfort and capability off-road. The low km's fuel-injected 3.9L V8 and 4 speed automatic ZF transmission have been serviced very well by me, she pulls hard and does not burn or leak any fluids.

I haven't driven this rig in a couple years but I have started it up and let it warm up from time-to-time to keep everything mechanical lubricated. I love this truck, yet it is taking up space in my driveway and I need to let it go to fund other projects.

I have installed a new battery now and it will fire right up and drive like it always has. Come take a look if you are interested!"

He had dropped the price and now it was going for $2200.xx CDN

Upon first impression when seeing her parked in the drive, most people would have walked away. Two flat tires, covered in dust and moss from sitting for a couple of years. The entire lower dash was taken apart, the locks stick a little. Rear window is rusted and a rope is what keeps it secure. She has taken some damage along the passenger side, most notable the rear wing (back quarter panel) and front bush guard is bent. She started right away (once the battery was hooked up). Runs smooth. Seems to be running a tad rich. Throttle sticks a little and quick research indicates it might be the throttle body being gummed up. Cruise control as a leak in the diaphragm (no idea how bad it is).

She came with:
- four extra rims (painted black)
- extra starter
- extra plastic grill
- metal grill (Trophy?)
- heavy-duty metal light guards
- sealed lights (head-light and black metal housing)
- new fuel filter (to be installed)
- used (WAY Better then existing) rear window
- hard-cover manual (chitons I think)
- used windshield washer pump and tank (no idea if the one in her works)

Interior has seen WAY better days. No stereo but it does have an after-market Alpine amp. 6-disc changer is FUBAR. Headliner is going. Power windows are hit and miss. Turning the key in the ignition is a pain as it sticks. No idea if sunroof works, and not about to test it until I have a deep inspection by my mechanic (Gary at Forward Automotive in Victoria, BC). Entire driver side is missing wood trim. All wood trim is cracked and faded. Heated windshield works. Short somewhere or something to do with passenger side turn indicator (blows fuses once a month or so).

Mechanically...
She is running rich. Seems a tad sluggish but that could just be me not being used to the truck. She drives nice on the highway as well as the city.

And so beings the restore and overland build of Jackie.

I've been doing my research and reading up as well as slowly connecting with local resources. New parts wise I typically use Lordco here in Victoria and have begun a collection of bookmarks for dealers and on-line retailers for parts.

Photos to come. Any and ALL advise appreciated.

Cheers for now,
Scott

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Great start to your tale of love, hate and inspiration!

Every picture tells a story...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles