1991 Montero Build Vlog

arevv_

Alright guys, here goes! I just picked up a 1991 Montero LS V6 Auto after selling the Chevy Express van I built out. After crawling the forums over the last few weeks and moving forward on my project Montero, I'm super thankful for all of the awesome build threads and information out there. It will really help me diagnose these issues and get this beast back on the road!

My end goal is to make this a capable trail machine that will tow my Oregon Trail'r DoDrop Alpha. Montero owners: any general advice, things you wish you would have done different and any suggestions you have, critiques etc, fire away! I'll try to post a new video every week and keep them coming until finished.

Right now, my primary goal is to get it running and driving well. It's got a significant oil leak, pulls left while driving and right while braking. My plan is to start with a compression test, work through manual tune-up procedures, pull the valve covers to replace the cam seals and also install a new radiator, manifold gaskets, water pump, belts, plugs/wires/dist/rotor, etc. If things look worse than expected when I get in there, I'll probably pull the heads and replace with a set of clearwaters.

I'll also be building out a google sheet to accompany the project in case it's useful to anyone in the future.
-Aran

LINKS:
Mellowest Montero: Build Vlog 01: 1991 Montero Cold Start: Mellowest Montero: Backyard Mechanic: Mellowest Montero: Redemption Week:

Last edited:

arevv_

My first parts order has been placed via Rock Auto, here's the rundown:
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 2.57.57 PM.png

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I love this! I wanted to do the same for my '91 fix/build but I'm really terrible at video making. Thanks for sharing, PM me if you need anything as far as tech or parts I'm usually pretty OK at that sort of thing.

arevv_

Hey Toasty, thanks for the stoke! It didn't take long to realize that posts with your name next to them usually included some bookmark worthy nuggets of knowledge...trade you video making tips for mechanic tips! I will definitely drop you a line, looking forward to crossing paths one of these days.
And if you ever need to beat that Phoenix heat, point your rig towards Southern Oregon and I'll take you around the Rogue Siskiyou National Forest up here! Been itching to get a crew together to film the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Routes

Last edited:

DRLexpress

Observer
Great start to a thread, keep it up. An '89 Raider followed me home a month or so ago. Surprising good shape for having to use a chainsaw to get it out of the weeds. Passed smog test first try. Will be following your thread and learning.

Doug

arevv_

arevv_ you are a wise man to recognize Toasty is a great authority, and worthwhile mentor. You need more stocking, check out the Facebook group Mitsubishi Monteros USA ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1524789904446511/ ) lot of ️ enthusiasm there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joined, thanks for the tip and the follow!

Great start to a thread, keep it up. An '89 Raider followed me home a month or so ago. Surprising good shape for having to use a chainsaw to get it out of the weeds. Passed smog test first try. Will be following your thread and learning.

Doug

Thanks Doug, sounds like a hell of a rescue!

Update:
I spent most of yesterday getting setup and getting familiar with the montero. I did manage to hit all the chassis lube points and discovered the reason she pulls left is due to a sticking left caliper. I ordered front and rear brakes, pads, rotors, drums, hardware and self adjuster repair kits to get the stock brakes back up to working form (another $200 to Rock Auto, ouch) While this will get me rolling for now, I think the Gen2 SR brake swap is my ultimate goal, but first I want to bring it back up to good stock condition.

In other news, my buddy Cory Gould at Kinked Customs (@kinkedkustomsadventure on instagram) agreed to build my front/rear bumpers and roof rack! I'm on the hunt for designs and will post some inspiration pics and sketches before he gets started.

Parts arrive on Wednesday and Thursday, will have another video ready for Friday!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Love it, this is some quality stuff right out of the gate, looking forward to what you make. I shared it over on the ADD facebook page.

arevv_

Love it, this is some quality stuff right out of the gate, looking forward to what you make. I shared it over on the ADD facebook page.

You guys rock thanks for sharing it! You can bet **************** this I'll be installing an ADD Lift Kit and all the bolt-ons the budget will allow...looking forward to working with you guys.

arevv_

A few hours behind schedule, but here's Episode 2 of the Mellowest Montero build vlog! Parts arrived yesterday so I didn't get as much done as I'd like, but the water pump is out and ready to button up the timing belt job tomorrow.

One thing that's bugging me is the fact that I didn't get the water jacket version in my order, just the front half with impeller. Is it worth waiting to put it back together and ordering the housing so everything is new going back in? Will upload a few images tomorrow, it was an ugly, rusty mess in there no doubt.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If the original is badly cavitated you'll want a new one otherwise clean it up and maybe seal whatever cavitation exists with epoxy just to stop it.

arevv_

Very cool video, looking forward to watching more!
Thank you, I'll try to turn one out per week until it's finished!

I will update with photos shortly, but I'm working on cam seals, plugs and gaskets today and just pulled the air intake plenum. I'm noticing quite a lot of oil inside of it and pooled up on top on the intake manifold. My best guess is vacuum leak, PCV valve is all I've found so far. Has anyone seen this before?

Came inside to grab the camera so I can shoot some good images and video and show you guys what I mean, stay tuned!

arevv_

Eureka!! The driver's valve cover gasket was installed incorrectly - see the 4-5 inches of gasket material bowed outside the track, and the two matching cuts that show where it was tightened down When installed, it faces towards the center of the engine so that explains the significant amount of oil pooled up on top of the block.

IMG_0802.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz