1991 Isuzu Trooper Overlanding Build

DD196

Observer
Wow. Just read your entire build. Complete respect for having a plan and making it happen. Every part done right, no cut corners, no compromises. Great to see a guy with the knowledge and ability and resources necessary to complete a first class piece of machinery.

Well done sir.:safari-rig:

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Hey, thanks, DD196. Yeah, it took doing it wrong once before I got it all together in my head and built this one properly. :)

Bart

Tokalon19999

Wow! Just picked up a 1989 Trooper (2.8/5sp) with 94k miles and was looking up all things Trooper. Bought it at auction after seeing it sitting for over six months in their lot. I am a casual car dealer that picks up cars that appeal to me. Was going to resell it ( I mainly deal in Jeep XJs) but came across your build and saw that it was actually current. May need to change my mind and start a build. These things have a "cool factor" and utility that the old cherokees can't compete with. Bought it for $500 and all it needed to run (and run well) was a $50 fuel pump. Thanks for showing me the potential in these rigs. I have always liked the looks. For mine, Its also nice to know that a 2.8 to 3.4 liter upgrade, if needed, it relatively cheap and straightforward.

Bob

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Hey Bob, you got a steal! Bad fuel pumps are one of the things I see a lot with old Troopers that are being sold at dirt cheap prices. It's not so much fun to drop the tank but not all that much work either if you have the tools and the vehicle isn't rusted to hell. One of the things I plan to do with my Trooper still is make a fuel pump access door in the cargo area. I need to get on that sooner rather than later too!

My first gen1 was a 2.8 that I upgraded to a 3.4. It is definitely a straightforward swap and will yield a decent amount of power over the sluggish 2.8. The nice thing about the GM motor is that parts are still quite available, although I think they finally discontinued the 3.4HT crate engine, so you would have to go with a reman if you cannot find a new motor.

Get over to PlanetIsuzoo.com and post a new thread about your score!

Bart

Great looking rig, love the old school theme. I have been debating on what platform to use for my expedition build and I think you sold me. Appreciate the detailed right up I'm sure I will be referencing it again. Can't wait to see whats next to come.

Cheers

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Great looking rig, love the old school theme. I have been debating on what platform to use for my expedition build and I think you sold me. Appreciate the detailed right up I'm sure I will be referencing it again. Can't wait to see whats next to come.

Thanks. The main problem with Gen1 Troopers is finding a decent one. And then you have the choice of the GM V6 or the 2.6 Isuzu motor. And then of course you have to be ready to deal with the underpowered motor and lack of a huge aftermarket. If you can get past those issues, then you will be good to go!

Bart

upndown

Adventurer
Hey Bart. Just read your whole thread, great write up, pics and amazing attention to detail! She looks like a new truck, plus I agree square headlights never belonged on that truck. You mentioned earlier a slight decrease in fuel economy, I was just curious about overall performance since you've added the extra weight? We all know that all of the older bulletproof 4 bangers had enough trouble getting out of their own way..haha.

I shopped for a first gen trooper for quite a while. Looked at a number of high mileage beaters or trucks people thought were made outa gold. Then outa nowhere came a sweet 94 Honda Passport. 113k, 3.2, 5 spd couldn't pass it up! Plans are similar to what you did, small lift, more aggressive tires, a rear locker and a winch. It's already been a fun little get me to the mountain lakes fishing rig.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Great job! There's a first gen Trooper that's been sitting at an auto repair shop for a couple years that I pass every day on my way to work. From the road it appears to be in decent shape and every time I pass it, I think of the possibilities. I shouldn't have viewed this thread, it may have planted a seed.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Hey Bart. Just read your whole thread, great write up, pics and amazing attention to detail! She looks like a new truck, plus I agree square headlights never belonged on that truck. You mentioned earlier a slight decrease in fuel economy, I was just curious about overall performance since you've added the extra weight? We all know that all of the older bulletproof 4 bangers had enough trouble getting out of their own way..haha.

I shopped for a first gen trooper for quite a while. Looked at a number of high mileage beaters or trucks people thought were made outa gold. Then outa nowhere came a sweet 94 Honda Passport. 113k, 3.2, 5 spd couldn't pass it up! Plans are similar to what you did, small lift, more aggressive tires, a rear locker and a winch. It's already been a fun little get me to the mountain lakes fishing rig.
I suppose the fuel economy decrease really isn't all that bad. Maybe I went from getting like 350 miles per tank on a good day to about 320...something like that. It's hard to judge since I really started modding away as soon as I bought the vehicle, so I don't have the best baseline. Probably the biggest impact was the RTT. There's just a lot of extra weight now all the time. But wind drag is minimal. I really think my Con-Ferr Rack caught more wind than the RTT.

The Rodeo is a good platform too. It doesn't quite have the space that a Trooper does, but they are great SUVs nonetheless. I wouldn't kick a clean one outta bed either!

Great job! There's a first gen Trooper that's been sitting at an auto repair shop for a couple years that I pass every day on my way to work. From the road it appears to be in decent shape and every time I pass it, I think of the possibilities. I shouldn't have viewed this thread, it may have planted a seed.

DO IT!

:) Bart

ElkinsEric

Observer
Nice Trooper man!

I bought an 86 my junior year in high school. It was the ultimate weekend camping; read party; rig. Pull 4 or 6 bolts and the rear bench comes out and goes beside the fire. Then there is plenty of space to sleep in the back.

I learned how to wheel with the 4 cyl. Didn't have enough power to spin, let alone get a speeding ticket. Had a blast in that thing!

I may have to find another now after seeing yours!

Sub'd.

Yutahay

Great job.

Thanks for sharing. That tent is interesting and for me the best advantage would be described as-no rattlesnakes, scorpions or rodents. I'm still on the ground.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Great build and an awesome truck!! As a fellow owner of "vintage iron" I appreciate the work that goes into keeping these rigs current, safe and reliable. Kudos.

SG

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. And yeah, these old trucks are getting harder and harder to keep on the road. But I suppose that is part of the joy. Anyone can have a built up 2015 4Runner (and trust me, I have thought about it), but very few can enjoy a vintage 4x4 that still looks and performs great without a lot of love and attention.

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94