1991 Isuzu Trooper Overlanding Build

Thanks, guys. And yeah, these old trucks are getting harder and harder to keep on the road. But I suppose that is part of the joy. Anyone can have a built up 2015 4Runner (and trust me, I have thought about it), but very few can enjoy a vintage 4x4 that still looks and performs great without a lot of love and attention.

Bart

I absolutely love my 1989 and I am amazed at how well it drives. Many times you see these old vehicles that look great but they drive like dinosaurs but that is not the case with these first gen Troopers. Do they have the power of a new SUV? No, but in many ways they drive better than my new Cummins. With the improvements you have made I am sure your rig drives fantastic. There is just something that puts a smile on my face when I see an old rig like yours that has been restored the right way and used for what it was intended for. Keep up the good work.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks. At this very moment, I need this words more than ever. I think the clutch T.O. bearing blew this morning. As I drove to work, I noticed a rattling sound loud enough to hear over my music. Turned off the tunes and I could really hear it. I think a bearing gave up the ghost...not 100% sure if it is a clutch bearing or something worse...

:(

Bart

Motobob

Always seeking info

I read you know of a power boost for the GM V6. Can you give details? I have a 90 Trooper and go off-roading often. Also, what did you do with the parts you removed? I'd be interested in those. Thanks, Bob

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
If yours is a V6, there are a lot of things you can do to put more ponies under the hood. The best is a 3.4 swap. Go to PlanetIsuzoo.com and there are loads of threads on the subject.

Bart

pbirsch

Thread revival here. Bart, beautiful build! It helped me pull the trigger on a 1990 Trooper last week! I'm on wheels and tires as my first upgrade. Already poured through all the PlanetIsuzu threads on it. Looking at doing your 235/85/16 setup with new 16x7 wheels. Any tips/tricks you have, or something you wish you would have done different on your build if you would do it over again?

Thanks!
Philip

pbirsch

Really? Wow, not what I was expecting, but makes sense. I mean to redo the heart of the beast is probably the best base. Thanks for the tip. I think with 251k miles on it, thats probably the safest bet!

Thanks!

balexander87

Observer
To echo Maverick, I find myself returning to this thread and rereading periodically. My family had a 1990 trooper that looks identical to the way this one started (although I think the tires were a little bigger, but it's been a while. Have to see if I can find any old pics...). We drove it daily and it became my "first car" when I turned 16 in 2003. Had over 200k at the time, and was still awesome :) had trouble keeping head gaskets on the Isuzu motor tho and eventually we hit a deer and it got parked until we eventually gave it away. Definitely didn't appreciate what I had at the time, or I would have done a lot more to keep it in the family!!

All that to say, I have a lot of nostalgia with these rigs, and this thread brings it all back :) Great rig! Would love to see some more pics from trips and whatnot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles