1991 Chevy SAS build

vargsmetal

I haven't come up with a name for this thing besides "the black truck". Its a 1991 C1500 RCSB stepside (yes, 2wd) I bought a couple years ago basically as a shell. It had a 4.3/5spd thrown into it but it wasn't running and needed everything. I pulled the 4.3 out to start swapping a 4.8L vortec into it, and then the project stalled and I didn't touch it for awhile. It was supposed to stay a 2wd, and just be a fun daily driver.

And then I reached the limit of what my K1500 ECSB (check out my other thread here if you want) can do. I want to start hitting harder trails and offroad parks, and maybe even apply to Ultimate Adventure. So, I needed a solid axle rig with a shorter wheelbase that is more purpose built with fewer compromises. I looked around at what was available and decided it wasn't worth buying another truck when I already had a good chassis sitting in the driveway.
80b853b6fcce1538259a423cb4338ba6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vargsmetal

I started at the back: sold the stepside bed and the 10 bolt axle. I swapped in a AAM10.5 14 bolt 4.10 with disc brakes out of a 04 2500HD. I also removed the factory shock mounts and the rear most crossmember to make room for a new shock mount crossmember. Both shocks will go towards the rear instead of staggered front/back to make room for a 42gal Suburban fuel tank that will live behind the cab. I used the Offroad Design shackle flip brackets to give me 4in of lift in the back. I'll probably need new leaf springs to support the weight, but they're fine for now until I see how everything levels out.

This brings us up to the present. I'm going to flip the truck around in the shop to start making room up front for the Dana 60 with the Offroad Design SAS brackets. The 60 is out of a 86 F350 dually, but the guy included SRW hubs. It's high pinion, kingpin, 4.10 gears. Pretty much perfect besides the years of crust I'll have to chip through to clean it u
p.

2b39c3f67db8274f06e368f58fa7e627.jpg

8571b8bcfb112d63549e061cf2de2630.jpg

98ac40afdbb481cfc720f2cb727f4934.jpg

a1b66c9dc2faea9242d460cdfea152d1.jpg

b262286a7a6997db2139178ab4c15ea2.jpg

17092fc5014402f7495c3d36d7f1230b.jpg

f065b6fc38b47be8ff8a3e2981822ffa.jpg

6aeb18ed1f9444b0359046c4c787c0c6.jpg

3cfd1f968ba2c5c7af1d1716125773ca.jpg

Last edited:
There is something to be said about a scsb pickup for an off-road/expedition rig. The possibilities are endless as far as cap, or rack and rtt. Plus they really are not much larger than a jku and in my opinion have much more useability (If that is a word)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the look of your welding and fabrication Mr Varg. The whole truck looks very profesionaly built. Great to see your pics and follow the build. We all look forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for posting up. Cheers, Chilli...??

vargsmetal

Thanks for the interest in the project everybody. People say facebook/instagram killed online forums, but I hate trying to document projects on those platforms. But, if no one is interacting here it feels like a waste of time. I definitely welcome all comments and questions to keep the thread alive.

I haven't had much time to work on it but I got it sitting on four tires again so I can flip it around in the shop. While it was out I brought the dana 60 in to start tearing it down. Waiting on a big order of calipers, rotors, brake pads, ujoints, bearings and seals to start rebuilding it. The axle u joints are huge! Seems like the pinion seal was leaking, so I'll replace that too. Should be able to get into all of that this weekend.

I'm not doing a full rebuild like replacing the carrier bearings or anything in the diff yet as I'll be doing those when I regear later on. Plan is to get the truck running and driving on the stock 4.10s, and then regear to 4.88 or 5.13 later with lockers. I keep going back and forth on what lockers I want. Original plan was ARB front and back, but I've heard about enough issues to be cautious throwing that much money at them. Right now I'm thinking detroit rear and an elocker for the front. Only thing I'm worried about is the on-road handling with the detroit and a short wheelbase.

2366beebf8c608b370e3c6469330e350.jpg

f8959e343964a286b27bf448978afb20.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest in the project everybody. People say facebook/instagram killed online forums, but I hate trying to document projects on those platforms. But, if no one is interacting here it feels like a waste of time. I definitely welcome all comments and questions to keep the thread alive.

I haven't had much time to work on it but I got it sitting on four tires again so I can flip it around in the shop. While it was out I brought the dana 60 in to start tearing it down. Waiting on a big order of calipers, rotors, brake pads, ujoints, bearings and seals to start rebuilding it. The axle u joints are huge! Seems like the pinion seal was leaking, so I'll replace that too. Should be able to get into all of that this weekend.

I'm not doing a full rebuild like replacing the carrier bearings or anything in the diff yet as I'll be doing those when I regear later on. Plan is to get the truck running and driving on the stock 4.10s, and then regear to 4.88 or 5.13 later with lockers. I keep going back and forth on what lockers I want. Original plan was ARB front and back, but I've heard about enough issues to be cautious throwing that much money at them. Right now I'm thinking detroit rear and an elocker for the front. Only thing I'm worried about is the on-road handling with the detroit and a short wheelbase.
2366beebf8c608b370e3c6469330e350.jpg
f8959e343964a286b27bf448978afb20.jpg

I was thinking something similar for my dodge but I was thinking of a Detroit in the back and a posi up front. Are you planning on some hardcore stuff is that the reasoning behind a front locker rather than something else?

vargsmetal

I was thinking something similar for my dodge but I was thinking of a Detroit in the back and a posi up front. Are you planning on some hardcore stuff is that the reasoning behind a front locker rather than something else?

For this build I want a selectable locker up front. A limited slip or another Detroit wouldn't be a bad option, but with the elocker available for the Dana 60 I like that direction. I'd like to have a selectable locker front/rear, but with the reported air line freezing and ruptured diaphragm issues with ARB the only other option I know of for the 14 bolt is the Ox cable locker. Routing a cable doesn't seem any better than the air locker issues. If eaton made an elocker for the 14 bolt I would just use that front/rear.

For this build I want a selectable locker up front. A limited slip or another Detroit wouldn't be a bad option, but with the elocker available for the Dana 60 I like that direction. I'd like to have a selectable locker front/rear, but with the reported air line freezing and ruptured diaphragm issues with ARB the only other option I know of for the 14 bolt is the Ox cable locker. Routing a cable doesn't seem any better than the air locker issues. If eaton made an elocker for the 14 bolt I would just use that front/rear.

Yeah I can definitely see where you are coming from and with the selectable there is no question if it is engaged or not. I’m excited to see this when it’s all done and all the places you’ll be able to take her. She is going to be beastly

60beforetruck

I love my ARB lockers. Great when you are wheeling a daily driver. When trail riding I lock the rear and only lock the front when needed. After the obstacle I unlock the front.
I have a Detroit in my K5 and it barks on the pavement almost every right hand turn.
As far as freezing air lines, I live in the south and we dont have that problem. Couldn't you put air brake anti-freeze in the line?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles