1991 Chevy R/V3500 Crew Cab Build

mattcrouch1502

Observer
It has been a busy last few months with the holidays,"covid", and work but I did get some stuff done! I was able to get all the engine compartment wiring finished up and ran the engine for a while. I also got the rear driveshaft re-worked, hooked up the parking brake, installed the grill guard, and got the new turn signal/marker lights installed. I am waiting for a new draglink to show up and I should be able drive it around some! I also was able to mount my 17gal air tank on the back of the box, I think I like it there and once the spare tire in mounted up the tank shouldn't stick out any further than the tire. On to the photos!!

Headlights, turn signals, and marker lights
full

full

Parking brake bracket
full

Air tank
full

full

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Had a good weekend, was able to drive the truck around a little for the first time in at least a year and a half! I still have some small things to finish up like the rear shackle flip, and clocking the transfer case down, then do some shaking down and re-torqueing but this was very exciting! Here are some photos and I will try to get a short video uploaded.

You can see how low the rear is, I have a ORD 2.5" shackle flip and a anti-wrap bar that I will be installing in the next week or so.
full

You can see the new bumper trimming!
full

full

fl0w3n

Observer
Oh jeez, it's love at first sight.

I think I recall the first few pages of your thread (or is this on Pirate too?), but I just skipped to the last page and now I need to do a deep dive on the thread. This is a similar truck to my dreams :love:

Edit: just made it through at least all the pictures. Curious why you went with a BW4401 and not a NP271?

Last edited:

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Oh jeez, it's love at first sight.

I think I recall the first few pages of your thread (or is this on Pirate too?), but I just skipped to the last page and now I need to do a deep dive on the thread. This is a similar truck to my dreams :love:

Edit: just made it through at least all the pictures. Curious why you went with a BW4401 and not a NP271?

Thanks man! The most in-depth thread is over at CK5 here. The reason for the BW4401 is because I am using a NV4500 from a GM truck with a Dodge input shaft. Before the F550 axle swap I was running a GM Dana 60 (passenger drop) with a GM NP205 behind the Cummins and NV4500. When I went to the F550 axle I needed a driver drop transfer case with a 32 spline input and a fixed rear output shaft. If I had known that I was going to run the F550 axles I would have kept the dodge NV4500 and run the NP271 behind it....

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Short post today, got the shackle flip install and was reminded why I hate frame rivets.... I installed the flip without dropping the tank, care had to be taken to not send the chisel through the side of the fuel tank. After some very choice words and a sore shoulder from swinging a hammer it was all removed. Got the holes drilled out and the new shackle flips bolted up, I am extremely happy with how it sits, I think it could stand another inch in the back but I am not worried about it. At some point I may put some helper air bags on it but I want to drive it some first to see if the coils settle any. Last few things before some shake down driving is a new pitman arm, building/adjusting the rear shock mounts, and clocking down the transfer case. There are some other little things like axle breathers and aux lights but those are not major.

full

full

mattcrouch1502

Observer
I'm sure most of you saw that Texas had some craze winter weather two weeks ago. My family and I were fortunate enough to maintain power through the storm. I saw the slick roads as a good opportunity to road test the truck. With the hubs locked in and the case in 4hi it handled real good. I have been slowly stretching out how far I drive it but so far everything has been pretty good. Here are some photos from the "snow run"!
full

full

full

full

full

gtbensley

Explorer
This build is wicked, not sure how I missed it for so many years until today. Looking forward to future updates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mattcrouch1502

Observer
So it has been a while since I updated but for the most part I have been driving the truck and working out little bugs. I ended up installing bigger lift rear springs to get rid of the sag in the rear that I had, while I was at it I replaced the rear main eye hanger. Over the last six months I have started to try to rough out the camping area in the back, a couple weeks ago my youngest son and I took the truck out for the weekend and did a little shake down. Everything work well, I found so things I want to move around but my son had a blast and that’s what its about!20231112_141453.jpg
20231021_091312.jpg
20231015_153153.jpg

20231015_143554.jpg
20231015_143542.jpg

Attachments

• 20231022_083811.jpg
    20231022_083811.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18

mattcrouch1502

Observer
I love this truck so much. It’s way too big, it’s powered by my fav tractor motor, runs mrap wheels, custom 4link up front and that mil box on the back. It’s everything a 4 door square body deserves to be. Super nice work man. Very cool.
Thanks! Its a lot of fun, I am really looking forward to getting the box sorted out for camping and getting some trips in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles