1991 Bronco Project Build

RacersJunkyard

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I wanted to say I'm pretty intimidated by some of the awesome rigs I've seen that you all have. I'm working on a budget so most of my work will be done by me and some friends. My goal is to make my 1991 Ford Bronco into a reliable overland camping rig. I've had the truck for about a year and a half now and it already had that amazingly ridiculous paint job when I bought it. It belonged to a hunting club and they beat the hell out of it. The steering was sloppy to say the least, the rear wheels locked up when you hit the brakes and the entire truck rattled hilariously when you got it past 40mph.

11540901_10153057607772643_1199085880030886060_n.jpg

No Roof!
C32FE73B-88C2-4276-B37F-E16BC0CBFA44_zpsmz0qdumq.jpg

These photos are from a few months back. When I bought the rig it was a little rough around the edges and it's taken some work but here's the list of replacements/repairs that I've done so far:

New Steering box from an F-350
New tie rods (inner and outer)
New Tires
New Front brakes (Calipers, pads, rotors)
New wheel bearings and races
New locking hubs (Warn Premium)
Repaired short in rear window
repaired short in tail lights (Still working on that one)
Painted roof
New Rear view mirror
New Shocks on all 4 corners (KYB Gas-A-Just)
New radius arm brackets
New Radius arm bushings
New rear brakes (Shoes, Drums, Springs, wheel cylinders)
New valve cover gaskets
Axle breathers extended high into engine bay
New Battery (Optima Yellow Top)
and more to come...

My goal is two fold:

1. Make a reliable camping truck that I can go out into the wilderness and not worry about my wheels falling off (No serious rock crawling). Just a good reliable vehicle.
2. Build up the electrical system to make accommodations to mount and charge my motorcycle while driving.

My 2014 Zero FX is an all electric dirt bike.
1487297_10152530340857643_425773633121840839_n.jpg

It can be charged on a regular 20 amp household plug which leads me to my desire to install a 2000 watt inverter (the bike's charger peaks at 600)in the truck. This way I can charge the bike while i'm driving from location to location.

I look forward to showing the new stuff I'll be doing to get it overland ready!

RacersJunkyard

The bike it pretty much a license to cheat off road. it literally cannot stall and it rules because it doesn't have a transmission. it's direct drive from the motor to the rear wheel so it doesn't have a lot of moving parts to fail. Also it only weighs 250-ish pounds and has 70 foot pounds of torque, that is constantly available at any RPM. Also, it is very, very quiet. Super easy to ride around horses and other livestock without disturbing them.

All in all, it's super easy to get into, and out of trouble with this bike.

Joanne

Adventurer
I'm just starting a build on a '92 Bronco with a 5.8. Unfortunately it needs engine work but that shouldn't be a huge problem. It sounds like you've made really good progress on yours! I really like the detail paint down the side. Now you have me thinking...(and that's really dangerous).

I got to ride my friend's Zero SR a few months ago and I just loved it! What a great ride. Quiet, smooth, and amazing acceleration. As I get older and my riding career starts winding down, it might just be the ticket when I need a smaller, lighter bike but with all the performance that I like so much.

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles