1990 toyota 1 ton dually questions

Momodolo

Hello, ive got an opportunity to buy a 1990 toyota 1 ton dually pickup truck. Its got a box on the back it looks to be a retired uhaul truck. It has the automatic v6 in it. Ive been told it runs and drives great. Frame and body are clean. It has 180k. I need it to daily drive right off the bat. Any thoughts or insights that could guide me in my decision or assist me in inspecting the truck would be much appreciated. If the engine goes, how expensive is a swap? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

It's a 31 year old, ex uHaul... The majority of those 180,000 miles were probably not kind. Since uHaul retired those trucks a while ago, it's probably safe to assume that it's been lacking in maintaince and repairs for quite some time.

Aside from that they are slow (loaded they are damn near incapable of climbing a hill) underpowered, and uncomfortable. It's probably incapable of keeping up with traffic on most highways.

As for a motor swap, it's 31 years old... Not many choices in used engines and if you can find one it's going to be a gamble. So, your either having to buy a rebuilt motor or have that one rebuilt. Even if you do 100% of the work yourself, the cost could easily exceed the value of the truck...lol.

Personally, it would be a hard pass for me.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A 1990 V6 would be a 3.0L 3VZ-FE. It's known as the one that had head problems, which prompted a recall by Toyota to repair them. If it's gone 180K with U-Haul it's probably been through Toyota or wasn't one with an issue. They started showing issues in daily use before that. But still do a compression test at least would be my thought.

If the engine does go the best option IMO is a 3.4L 5VZ-FE from a 1995-2003 Tacoma or 1996-2002 4Runner. The swap is mostly drop-in since the two engines are from the same family so the mounts and bellhousing pattern are the same. You'd want the whole wiring harness from the donor.

Momodolo

It's a 31 year old, ex uHaul... The majority of those 180,000 miles were probably not kind. Since uHaul retired those trucks a while ago, it's probably safe to assume that it's been lacking in maintaince and repairs for quite some time.

Aside from that they are slow (loaded they are damn near incapable of climbing a hill) underpowered, and uncomfortable. It's probably incapable of keeping up with traffic on most highways.

As for a motor swap, it's 31 years old... Not many choices in used engines and if you can find one it's going to be a gamble. So, your either having to buy a rebuilt motor or have that one rebuilt. Even if you do 100% of the work yourself, the cost could easily exceed the value of the truck...lol.

Personally, it would be a hard pass for me.

Very insightful, thank you

Momodolo

A 1990 V6 would be a 3.0L 3VZ-FE. It's known as the one that had head problems, which prompted a recall by Toyota to repair them. If it's gone 180K with U-Haul it's probably been through Toyota or wasn't one with an issue. They started showing issues in daily use before that. But still do a compression test at least would be my thought.

If the engine does go the best option IMO is a 3.4L 5VZ-FE from a 1995-2003 Tacoma or 1996-2002 4Runner. The swap is mostly drop-in since the two engines are from the same family so the mounts and bellhousing pattern are the same. You'd want the whole wiring harness from the donor.

Awesome thank you! Much obliged

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
There's a lot of variables here, if the asking price and any repairs factor in make the overall value not practical. As mentioned above, tell the seller you want certain tests performed before paying the asking price, if the test results prove ANY repairs are
Needed get a ballpark estimate and deduct $ appropriately.
The only thing that would make this seller NOT negotiate would be if this type or configuration of vehicle is Highly Desirable,
EVEN at $2k may not be worth it.

Momodolo

There's a lot of variables here, if the asking price and any repairs factor in make the overall value not practical. As mentioned above, tell the seller you want certain tests performed before paying the asking price, if the test results prove ANY repairs are
Needed get a ballpark estimate and deduct $ appropriately.
The only thing that would make this seller NOT negotiate would be if this type or configuration of vehicle is Highly Desirable,
EVEN at $2k may not be worth it.

Okay thank you for all the insight. The 1 ton dually is extremely rare and desirable

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
somewhat rare, not really all that desirable, though. They have a unique bolt pattern.

Is there a reason that you want/need a Toyota Dually? That may help identify options.
Good point. The 4WD Sunrader had the same rear axle uniqueness with a 6x7.25 bolt pattern where the front (like rest of us) use 6x5.5 wheels. I think the wheels are typical of Isuzu NPR or Hino trucks but is pretty unusual domestically otherwise.

Reactions: bkg

Momodolo

somewhat rare, not really all that desirable, though. They have a unique bolt pattern.

Is there a reason that you want/need a Toyota Dually? That may help identify options.

I really want to put a lil camper on there id love to have a lil yota home but im thinking i may be better off getting a newer truck with more capability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz