1990 LWB "Rescue"

Scooped up this mostly-intact 1990 4-door for stupid cheap on Sunday. This is my second Montero in the current fleet, third Monty in total.
Body is straight, with one tiny rust hole on the driver's side. Interior needs some love but otherwise looks pretty good.
It's a 5-speed, but the clutch is on the floor. PO said the slave cyl is leaking. Goes into gear, though. T-case shifts clean, too.
Radiator is sitting in the backseat with miscellaneous other parts, including the timing cover and crank pulley. But the battery is charged up and the engine cranks over well. Needs a fuel pump, too.
Also came with several service manuals, 2 owner's manuals, and even the original dealership papers from 1990.
My main goal for now is to get it driveable, at minimum, so I can give it more of a shakedown. But while the front of the engine is exposed, I'd like to go ahead and do the water pump and timing belt, as well as have the radiator rodded while it's out.
I'm pretty mechanical, but am limited to working in the yard with basic tools.
Any tips, tricks, and advice are all appreciated! Excited to join the Gen 1 club!

20201108_155814.jpg

lev

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and wait, wrong one... Air, spark, fuel, timing, compression. :D

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and wait, wrong one... Air, spark, fuel, timing, compression. :D
Oh ********, I'm missing the testicles :LOL:

Nah the guy had a video of it running the day he got it, which was maybe a month before I picked it up? Fingers crossed it runs after the fuel pump swap, then I have to reinstall the radiator and all associated bits and pieces.
My request for any tips, tricks and advice more referred to Gen 1s in general, not just getting it running

Gen 1 -
- Replace the crank bolt if it isn't the third version.
- Any sign of leaks around the valve covers? If so, replace the valve cover gaskets.
- The typical tune-up items like spark plugs, filters, etc

Gen 1 -
- Replace the crank bolt if it isn't the third version.
- Any sign of leaks around the valve covers? If so, replace the valve cover gaskets.
- The typical tune-up items like spark plugs, filters, etc
I have an updated bolt on order, and have spark plugs and filters on the list, for sure.
As far as oil leaks, I don't see anything around the valve covers, but the power steering pump is covered in what I thought was oil, until I saw the engine area closest to the pump is dry. So either it's old oil that was cleaned off the engine and not the pump, or maybe the pump is leaking from the top line? Since it's not currently running, I can't test the power steering yet or look for active leaks, short of maybe gently pressurizing the line somehow

mudraider

Adventurer
If you find it is the steering pump, one from an early Gen 2vwill work. You'll need to unbolt/switch the piece where the hoses go, but they bolt on the same

Sent from my pretty good android phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste